Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Western Flyer or Tri-Star?

I started with a Pilot and soon become a TB fan. Now I知 think to have a carry-on bag for business travel and I知 struggling with the choice, WF or TS??? Any advice would be welcome.
    Here are some facts should be considered:-
    1. Normally it would be a two-day + one-night trip.
    2. I wear casual to the airport (shirt/polo, jeans, and sneaker).
    3. I will take the followings in the bag
    - Laptop, 2nd cell phone, mouse, adaptor and power strip
    - Small gadgets like ear pod, music player, cell bank, charging cord, etc
    - Some documents, flyers, pens, writing pad
    - Underwear, pajamas for one night
    - Men痴 suit (suit, shirt, tie, trousers, #8.5 dress shoes)
    - Casual wear for the 2nd day after the meeting/seminar (shirt/polo)
    - Toiletry bag and SOS bag (band-aid, pills for cold&diarrhea, etc)
    - Some other small stuff like wallet, keys, wet tissues, hand sanitizer, etc
    PS. How do you treat with your suit? If you put it in any of these carry-on bags, it should not be wrinkle free. Are you just wearing it or using a garment bag? I find that I値l need a 24 luggage case to keep a bi-fold or tri-fold garment bag. Otherwise, I have to carry it on plus the carry-on bag I have.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband thinks you may struggle to get all of that in the tri star. He has done up to 5 days in the tri star with a similar load but did not pack a second pair of shoes or suit jacket.
    For context he is tall (193cm) and wears European men's large size clothes and EU 45 shoes.
    For the trips with extra shoes and jacket he would take the Patagonia MLC (now discontinued, I think), which is approx 45 litre capacity and about maximum carry on size (for Europe).
    If you are small, you may get away with the tristar, as all your shoes and clothing will be that much smaller Western Flyer or Tri-Star?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm most curious about your packing strategy for your suit?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did use my Tri-Star on a couple of business trips with a similar packing list as yours. However, I wore my business shoes for travelling as I found it easier to put my jogging shoes in the bag (size 11).The most difficult part is the suit jacket. My experience is that if you travel longer than just a few hours you will end up with some wrinkles. Thus, I always treat my jacket with a little steam bath in the hotel shower and let it hang in the damp air which removes wrinkles reliably.

I usually put the suit trousers first in the back compartment. I then put a large Tri-Star packing cube on top with the shirts, tees and other flatpacking stuff. On top comes the suit jacket. I fix it all with the compression straps. I put my shoes in an Aeronaut 45 packing cube (end pocket style) as these are full fabric which I prefer over mesh for shoes. They go in the front compartment along with my toiletries. I use the middle compartment for my computer and put the smaller things wherever there is some space left.

I think the most important principle when travelling with a Tri-Star is to pack as flat as possible.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoes are usually the problem area. The WF could handle that no problem minus the shoes. The TS would have a better chance especially if you pack the sneakers.

See my posts here
    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...ht=#post147202

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post131905

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, GQB, for your comments! I think the shoes will be a problem. Though my size is EU 42, the dress shoes are difficult to be compressed and it will take a lot of space in the bag. My preference was used to be the WF because it is normally a one night trip. But after reviewing you comments, I think I may need to go up for the TS.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my another problem I don't want to wear it on the way to the destination. Considering that I will need to take an additional hanging suitcase with the carry on bag just for wrinkle free, I may compromise to put it folded in the carry on bag and use the way @bartleby has suggested.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I did use my Tri-Star on a couple of business trips with a similar packing list as yours. However, I wore my business shoes for travelling as I found it easier to put my jogging shoes in the bag (size 11).The most difficult part is the suit jacket. My experience is that if you travel longer than just a few hours you will end up with some wrinkles. Thus, I always treat my jacket with a little steam bath in the hotel shower and let it hang in the damp air which removes wrinkles reliably.
    Thanks for your sharing on the suit jacket strategy. It's helpful. For the jogging shoes, I will prefer to wear it on the road for some comfort Otherwise, I may not need to carry jogging shoes in the bag while wearing a pair of dress shoes.... Most of my trips are short ones...

I'll try the tri-star and see whether it is possible to put a pair of dress shoes in it together with my other stuff. If not, I may go down with WF

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    Shoes are usually the problem area. The WF could handle that no problem minus the shoes. The TS would have a better chance especially if you pack the sneakers.

See my posts here
    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...ht=#post147202

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post131905
    Appreciate to see these examples! Conclusion, WF is perfect without shoes. But....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question, I'm thinking to choose 400 Halcyon for the TS bag instead of 1050 Ballistic because of its light weight. Any 'Cons' I should be aware of?

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czl663 View Post
    Another question, I'm thinking to choose 400 Halcyon for the TS bag instead of 1050 Ballistic because of its light weight. Any 'Cons' I should be aware of?
    I don’t have the WF (yet) but do have a pilot in halcyon and don’t like how it sags. You could definitely fit more in that material but I am planning on opting for the ballistic as it holds its shape.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly fit size 12 shoes into my WF, along with a few days worth of clothes and computer.

Last trip was 3D/2N for a wedding (suit, tie, cufflinks etc.); I packed the oxfords, as well as running shoes, but wore the suit jacket with loafers on the way out since I was at work earlier in the day. Photo of the packed bag on a layover is here. On the way home, I packed the oxfords and loafers, and wore the trainers (still wore the jacket for the extra pockets)

Usually when I pack a suit jacket, I do the Brooks Brothers method or a variation of the shoulder roll using rolled t-shirts in the shoulder. Even garment bags aren't "wrinkle-free", so if you need it when you land, wear it; otherwise, plan on ironing/shower steaming your stuff when you get there.

Even with all that, people were most amazed by the fact that I had a Tide-to-go pen in my suit jacket when my BIL spilled something on his shirt that night. It's the little things that matter.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czl663 View Post
    Appreciate to see these examples! Conclusion, WF is perfect without shoes. But....
    Really boils down to how much/big your stuff is (toiletries, laptop, gear, etc). For me, a 2nd pair of shoes was too much. For others (as posted here), not a problem.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I regularly fit size 12 shoes into my WF, along with a few days worth of clothes and computer.

Last trip was 3D/2N for a wedding (suit, tie, cufflinks etc.); I packed the oxfords, as well as running shoes, but wore the suit jacket with loafers on the way out since I was at work earlier in the day. Photo of the packed bag on a layover is here. On the way home, I packed the oxfords and loafers, and wore the trainers (still wore the jacket for the extra pockets)

Usually when I pack a suit jacket, I do the Brooks Brothers method or a variation of the shoulder roll using rolled t-shirts in the shoulder. Even garment bags aren't "wrinkle-free", so if you need it when you land, wear it; otherwise, plan on ironing/shower steaming your stuff when you get there.

Even with all that, people were most amazed by the fact that I had a Tide-to-go pen in my suit jacket when my BIL spilled something on his shirt that night. It's the little things that matter.
    Good advice on the suit jacket, imperator! Thanks. And you mean you put two pairs of shoes in a WF as well as other stuff such as laptop, clothes, toiletry, etc? Wow!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    Really boils down to how much/big your stuff is (toiletries, laptop, gear, etc). For me, a 2nd pair of shoes was too much. For others (as posted here), not a problem.
    Just to clarify, the 2nd pair of shoes refers to wear one on the foot and put the other in the bag?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast