Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Cubelet/Side Effect/Side Kick Suggestion

I have a design suggestion for all of the small bags with removable shoulder straps (Travel cubelet, side effect, Side Kick, etc). Maybe add a small open-top pocket to one side of the bag (similar to the open top pocket on the side of the pop tote). Yes, this would obviously be a very small pocket (since it would run vertically down the side of a 2"-3" wide bag), but it would be the *perfect* place to stow the shoulder strap when not in use. I think a lot of women put essential "purse" items in these smaller bags, and then stow them inside of larger backpacks for travel/commuting. So, we always 1) want the shoulder strap out of the way when the packed cubelet is stashed inside the larger bag BUT 2) we want to have the shoulder strap ready and handy for when we want to whip out the bag to use as a purse.

And if someone doesn't want to stow the shoulder strap there, one could use the mini-side pocket for a lipstick, chapstick, pen holder, pill case, earbuds, small key ring, etc (depending on the height of the bag).
    Last edited by typo; 10-27-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Never thought of it before but I’m always shoving the shoulder strap of my small bags into the larger bag when I load my Luminary or CP.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    I have a design suggestion for all of the small bags with removable shoulder straps (Travel cubelet, side effect, Side Kick, etc). Maybe add a small open-top pocket to one side of the bag (similar to the open top pocket on the side of the pop tote).
    I put the strap into the existing side zip pocket on the TC, SE, SK, and PCSB when I'm using them as bag in bag - that way, the strap is always with the bag, in case I need to grab & go and attach the strap later.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I’m using a bag-in-bag, I fold the 1” strap and tuck it into a mini halcyon OP to keep it contained in the outside pocket of each of those bags.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I put the strap into the existing side zip pocket on the TC, SE, SK, and PCSB when I'm using them as bag in bag - that way, the strap is always with the bag, in case I need to grab & go and attach the strap later.
    I do the same. The strap lives in the outside zipped pocket of any of these bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the existing side pocket on the TC, too, but I was just thinking last week that it's kind of annoying to have to use up space for that.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wrap the shoulder strap around the bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I instinctively hold the bag up in the middle, as if it had handles, gravity always pulls the strap down and I place the SE or TC on top.

I have had practice pacing the FJN or/and the SCB in the LSB for quite some times.

Occasionally, there is a bit of a tangle, but usually the culprits are items secured by key straps which loop around the LSB straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything Iíd prefer something slightly opposite. My side effect is always stowed in a larger bag so I donít have much need for the o rings on the outside.

I think itís fine the way it is though. Cost would probably need to go up for variations and I donít think they do custom work so I think itís fine as is.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put the strap in first and sit the bag on top - side kick in pop tote, travel cubelet in swift, etc.

That way the strap doesn't generally get tangled with anything or in the way but as soon as I lift up the smaller bag, the strap unravels from underneath ready to use.

I like the idea of a little stuff-it-in pocket though.