Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally bit on Synapse 25 (current GoRuck GR1 owner)

Hi all, new here. Just ordered a Synapse 25 in black (ballistic exterior, northeast sky halcyon interior). I went down this road because I have a GR1 21L right now, and while itís a great Ďminimalistí pack, Iím not a giant fan of the lack of organization. When researching other bags, the Synapse 25 is constantly mentioned, so I finally took the leap.

Questions:

1. Will the Synapse 25 be too big? Iím hoping itís not, because my GoRuck 21L is fine. The dimensions of the two bags are close enough, but has anyone else made this particular move?

2. Has anyone else switched from a GoRuck bag to the S25?

3. Have you found the S25 to be too Ďsoftí and lacking structure? The GoRuck does hold its form very nicely, and wonít crumple down or appear sloppy if loaded lightly.

Thanks all - excited to get my S25. What a great community TB has here.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer the first two questions as I haven't experupienced the Goruck, but I don't think you'll find the S25 lacking in structure at all. The Ballistic nylon isn't a "floppy" or soft fabric that collapses in folds like some corduras can. With the bottom broader than the top, I find it stands up pretty well on its own depending of course on how well you've distributed weight inside. I look forward to hearing what you think when you've had a chance to get to know it - enjoy!

PS. These comments are made based on an S25 without the optional internal frame.
    Last edited by Bijouxandbeads; 11-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    I can't answer the first two questions as I haven't experupienced the Goruck, but I don't think you'll find the S25 lacking in structure at all. The Ballistic nylon isn't a "floppy" or soft fabric that collapses in folds like some corduras can. With the bottom broader than the top, I find it stands up pretty well on its own depending of course on how well you've distributed weight inside. I look forward to hearing what you think when you've had a chance to get to know it - enjoy!

PS. These comments are made based on an S25 without the optional internal frame.
    Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. The GR1 is a great pack; it only lacks internal organization. For some, this is huge bonus. For others (probably like me), itís a downside.

Looking forward to getting the S25 and doing a comparison.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like above, it has great structure, zipper and materials are awesome, I have the same color you ordered and love it.

I also have never owned a Goruck but have read on them quite a bit, did you order the internal frame with the synapse? I have the
    internal frame in mine but feel its more comfortable without it, but the frame does keep it more rigid, I like having the option of both.

Its a true gray man style pack.

Here is a review of the pack from Chase Reeves, I seem to watch all his videos for his excellent reviews but also because he makes me laugh.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both.

I don’t think the Synapse looks very big on me. It might feel a bit bigger than their 21L, but I don’t think it is particularly noticeable.

I like the Synapse better than the GR1 because of the organization. It is just the right amount of organization for me. The Synapse holds it shape like the GR1. It won’t get floppy like other bags. The Synapse compresses down or expands depending on what you have in it.

I use my Synapse as an EDC and it feels small and sleek. I can also use it for travel, and I am amazed at how much stuff it can hold. I can unpack all my clothes and then use the bag as a daypack.

I think you will really like the Synapse. The GR1 is built like a tank and so is the Synapse. I like the zippers and fabric on the Synapse better than the GR1. I like GORUCK’s stuff, but the price is so high now. I felt it was a bit overpriced at 295, but I could see the value in it. It is way too much for me now. If someone asked a bunch of random people which bag is $395 and which one was $200, I bet a majority of people would guess it was the Synapse that was $395.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan View Post
    Like above, it has great structure, zipper and materials are awesome, I have the same color you ordered and love it.

I also have never owned a Goruck but have read on them quite a bit, did you order the internal frame with the synapse? I have the
    internal frame in mine but feel its more comfortable without it, but the frame does keep it more rigid, I like having the option of both.

Its a true gray man style pack.

Here is a review of the pack from Chase Reeves, I seem to watch all his videos for his excellent reviews but also because he makes me laugh.
    I saw that video - it’s great. In fact, it’s what put me over the edge and convinced me to buy one. ��

The ONLY downside I see to the Synapse is that it’s looks are just OK. Not bad, not great. It does (in some colors) look like a grown-up Jansport, but in black I think that look is minimized. And as Chase says in the video, once you start using the bag you fall in love with it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcumeda View Post
    I have both.

I donít think the Synapse looks very big on me. It might feel a bit bigger than their 21L, but I donít think it is particularly noticeable.

I like the Synapse better than the GR1 because of the organization. It is just the right amount of organization for me. The Synapse holds it shape like the GR1. It wonít get floppy like other bags. The Synapse compresses down or expands depending on what you have in it.

I use my Synapse as an EDC and it feels small and sleek. I can also use it for travel, and I am amazed at how much stuff it can hold. I can unpack all my clothes and then use the bag as a daypack.

I think you will really like the Synapse. The GR1 is built like a tank and so is the Synapse. I like the zippers and fabric on the Synapse better than the GR1. I like GORUCKís stuff, but the price is so high now. I felt it was a bit overpriced at 295, but I could see the value in it. It is way too much for me now. If someone asked a bunch of random people which bag is $395 and which one was $200, I bet a majority of people would guess it was the Synapse that was $395.
    Yeah, the price of the GR1 was a bitter pill to swallow at $295, but any $395 I feel people are paying for cult entry, to some extent. If the bag were improved from the $295 version Iíd feel differently, but for the same bag? I wouldnít have gotten one had the price been $395 at the time.

The good news is that my excellent-condition GR1 just went up in value should I choose to sell it.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S25 is a great alternative to the GR1. I did find it to be too floppy for myself but the internal frame (which you can buy separately) helped out a lot. After using the GR1 extensively I now find nearly ANY pack without an internal frame (of some sort) to feel floppy and weird.

1) You should be fine here. I've got a GR0 (which I don't use) and it's comparable(ish) to the S25. The S25 flattens easier than the GORUCK bags so an empty one doesn't look quite as odd.
    2) Kind of? I bought my 3 TB bags after owning a few GORUCK bags. Both companies make good stuff.
    3) The biggest issue I had was when the pack was fully loaded it would bulge out against my back. With proper packing you can minimize this but it was definitely a weird feeling coming from the GR1. The internal frame helped immensely here.
    Current EDC: S25 (BlkHyc)
    Current Closet: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk), SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
    Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Forum Member
    lawrence ks
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Goruck's are Great! i wouldn't try to carry a 20lb plate in my S25 and go for a ruck! and if i were going into battle i would buy one, but im not and the pocket configuration on the S25 is just perfect for travel. this bag totally works as a fantastic carry on with all your essential close at hand. It also holds enough clothing and an extra pair of shoes for me to stay away for a week or ten days. The S25 is the best and only bag i have found that will do EDC really well and also pack enough for me to travel for a while. didn't like the way it looked for a long time but now i wouldn't part with it, just works do damn good.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, welcome. I've got a 26L GR1 along with a S19 (which my son claimed for himself) and a S25. I found the GR1 to be a bit big and same as you didn't have the organization I wanted. I tried everything to get it to work out, I bought those molle organization pouches and stuff to compensate but it never worked out great. The slash pocket also didn't seem to work well with the bag fully loaded. So if you're into organization, going from a GR1 to a synapse will be a revelation.

To answer your other question, I don't think the bag is too soft at all. The halcyon s19 is a bit floppy and doesn't stand on its own, but the ballistic material is stiffer and helps with that. I have the frame sheet and that helps as well.

One thing though that I really miss are the shoulder straps and top carry handle. I think the straps are a bit more comfy in the GR1 for heavy loads and the top handle was a dream. Also for just packing clothes black hole style the GR1 was great. I don't think you will be disappointed with the synapse though, it is a great bag.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from a GR1 26L to the synapse 25. I wanted something less heavy in the summer and less tacticool looking for my EDC business attire. I really like the S25 but it feels cramped to me. I put my laptop in it plus a 1L nalgene in the center pocket and I feel cramped adding a book to the main compartment. Mind you my books are usually engineering reference books that are 2-3 inches thick. Plus the shape really changes when you load it up. Something I donít like.

I donít overstuff it often so itís not a big deal. I tried the frame insert which helps with the bulge but it adds enough weight where i donít want to use it. Been using the S25 for the better part of a year now and I gotta say I enjoy it over all. The 2 outer pockets and the bottom pocket are great. The main pocket just seems inhibited when Iíve got the rest loaded up. I still use my GR1 for rucking and day hikes but as an EDC, itís rare. Like you the lack of organization was getting to me and I felt a little self conscious carrying the bag around and didnít like the sweaty back I would get just from wearing it.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. As I suspect you've discoverd by now, the GR1 21L and the Synapse carry about the same on the back.
    2. I went the other way, buying the TB first thinking I needed the external organization pockets to the GR1 21L.
    3. I did find the Synapse to be a bit floppy which is why I stopped using it. But yes, the frame sheet was a game changer. The one missing part was just the quick and easy laptop access which is really the main reason I carry a backpack--to be able to have my work laptop on me. If TB made a quick-access urban-focused laptop carry backpack, it would be interesting.

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    1. As I suspect you've discoverd by now, the GR1 21L and the Synapse carry about the same on the back.
    2. I went the other way, buying the TB first thinking I needed the external organization pockets to the GR1 21L.
    3. I did find the Synapse to be a bit floppy which is why I stopped using it. But yes, the frame sheet was a game changer. The one missing part was just the quick and easy laptop access which is really the main reason I carry a backpack--to be able to have my work laptop on me. If TB made a quick-access urban-focused laptop carry backpack, it would be interesting.
    A laptop holder and a full clamshell zip would make the S25 the perfect backpack imo.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    A laptop holder and a full clamshell zip would make the S25 the perfect backpack imo.
    Agreed. An external single zip laptop sleeve with a false bottom like the GR1 and a full clamshell zip version would make the Synapse a far more attractive bag. I wonder what the reasoning was for not making it a clamshell. Perhaps they were less popular back then?

I also like the internal zippered picket in the GR1 near the top more than the external zip picket on the synapse. Feels more secure to keep valuables in an inside zip.

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've to tell you I look at my synapse daily and wonder if I could mod it myself to be a clamshell. I know it's impossible and I wish they'd just like, sell me a half stitched bag or something so I could have a third party do it. I've asked and they said no!