Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me make another comment about the D36. Because there are no backstraps or back stiffeners or lining, it's much lighter than the Aeronauts, and it folds up to the size of a book. My Aeronauts do not fold up at all. The D36 doesn't fold up quite as small as a Yeoman, but it's pretty close.

I bought 2 A45's for a month long trip through Europe, and they were great for that long trip and hiking through airports. But hubby and I can live out of one D36, plus a Pilot for a week or two with no problems.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    You have to figure Tom Bihn wouldn't support 3 variants of the exact same design.. "Does adding another Aeronaut make good business sense?"
    I think having 2 variants of other bags like the Aeronauts currently do would be more sensible. The Stowaway could easily be replaced with a smaller version of the WF, similar customer appeal. If there were a WF-footprint version of the Tri-Star, I could be convinced to upgrade.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I’m not sure a middle ground bag was suit as you wouldn’t get the benefits of either.

E.g. an A36 wouldn’t be as small (dimensions) as the A30 so would loose the benefit of being European carrier compliant.
    Oh, but an A36 WOULD be European carrier compliant. Here's the breakdown:

Maximum carry-on size to fit most airlines world-wide, including European carriers:
    55 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm

Size of A30:
    50 cm x 32 cm x 20 cm

Stretch the A30's dimensions out to the maximum, and you'd end up with just under 36 liters. Call it an A35 if you want to be on the conservative side.

For what it's worth, the Minaal Carry-on 2.0 is EXACTLY that size, and they chose the size after compiling the requirements for pretty much every airline in the world.

It's one of the reasons why, in the end, I might choose Minaal over any of the TB bags. I don't want an A45; and I'm not sold on the thin compartments of the Tri-Star or the smaller volume of the A30.

But I'd be happy even with an A33 -- stretch the length out to 55 cm and leave the other dimensions. Beyond the additional volume, there would be other advantages ... my size 13 shoes would fit better, and the optional waist belt would be more useful for taller people.

If you're wondering about a particular airline, Minaal has created a web site that lists carry-on size and weight limits for every airline. You'll find it here: https://carryonbagsizes.com/
    Last edited by Buffalonian; 11-27-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd have trouble with the waist belt even on an A45. I tried it on a trip to europe and it was useless. I'm 5'7" and it sat around my belly button - didn't take any weight off my hips.

That was what made me decide an A30 in duffle mode + a Synapse 25 is the best combo for travel. You can put shoes / electronics in the backpack and keep your lighter stuff in the duffel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'd love an A36. The Medium Road Duffle is 36 L and it is the perfect size and shape. I find the A30 to be just that bit too small, and the A45 is only for my really long trips.
    Ditto. (And I'd also love a Bi-Star, for all the reasons already stated.)

That said, my decision would all come down to dimensions: i.e., both the European airline question and (more immediately) whether a pair of men's size 13 shoes can fit in an outer pocket. That was the ultimate dealbreaker for the A30 for my husband's needs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    Oh, but an A36 WOULD be European carrier compliant. Here's the breakdown:

Maximum carry-on size to fit most airlines world-wide, including European carriers:
    55 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm

Size of A30:
    50 cm x 32 cm x 20 cm

Stretch the A30's dimensions out to the maximum, and you'd end up with just under 36 liters. Call it an A35 if you want to be on the conservative side.

For what it's worth, the Minaal Carry-on 2.0 is EXACTLY that size, and they chose the size after compiling the requirements for pretty much every airline in the world.

It's one of the reasons why, in the end, I might choose Minaal over any of the TB bags. I don't want an A45; and I'm not sold on the thin compartments of the Tri-Star or the smaller volume of the A30.

But I'd be happy even with an A33 -- stretch the length out to 55 cm and leave the other dimensions. Beyond the additional volume, there would be other advantages ... my size 13 shoes would fit better, and the optional waist belt would be more useful for taller people.

If you're wondering about a particular airline, Minaal has created a web site that lists carry-on size and weight limits for every airline. You'll find it here: https://carryonbagsizes.com/
    It's not the dimensions - it's the weight. An A30 fully packed comes in at just under 7kg, which is the maximum carry-on weight on the airlines I regularly fly. Some European airlines have a maximum weight of 5kg. I know that it would be possible to under pack a larger bag, perhaps leaving an end pocket empty, but the temptation is always there to fill it up.

When I looked at buying a new bag, I considered the Minaal because the company founders are from New Zealand, but the Minaal bag weighs quite a bit more than the A30, thus reducing it's usefulness to me. If you're going to be flying with airlines that don't have weight restrictions on cabin luggage, then it would be fine.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried on an A45 on airlines all through Europe and didn't have a single problem. I also did not fly discount airlines. However, for normal flights in the USA, I love my D36 (Road duffel 36L). It is the perfect size. It's not just a weight or volume thing. It's the way the sections are laid out, long and flat, and how the end pockets are gusseted for more room, and all the other extra little pockets. If I had to give up all but one of my TB bags, the Road Buddy / Medium Road Duffel would be my keeper.
    I'm a bit confused by the purpose of the D36. The dimensions are almost exactly matched to the A45, but it holds less (liter wise) and it doesn't seem as comfortable to carry with no backpack option. Is it just designed for road trips or would it be a better option than the A30 for air travel if you need a bigger bag and don't have an A45?

Also, the pictures make it look like the straps are right over the zippers when together, is that the case? I thought TB tried to avoid doing that because it makes it harder to access your stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the purpose of the D36. The dimensions are almost exactly matched to the A45, but it holds less (liter wise) and it doesn't seem as comfortable to carry with no backpack option. Is it just designed for road trips or would it be a better option than the A30 for air travel if you need a bigger bag and don't have an A45?

Also, the pictures make it look like the straps are right over the zippers when together, is that the case? I thought TB tried to avoid doing that because it makes it harder to access your stuff.

I think that the appeal of the Road Buddy Duffel 36 that @BWeaves is abbreviating as D36, is not primarily to air travelers (although it could appeal to air travelers who regularly check their bags), but it has features that the are not part of the design of the Aeronaut series, since it doesn't have to meet carryon specs. For example, if you wanted to stash more into the side pockets, because you wanted to take along heavy-duty hiking boots, or many pairs of shoes, you can do it, because the extra height of the Road Buddy (which would invalidate these bags for carry-on use). Instead of end pockets that are re-configurable on need (with the ability to unzip the dividers when more space is needed in the main compartment of the Aeronauts), these are fixed, larger, rectangular volumes for the end pockets Road Buddy. I can easily pop in the emergency lanterns that are usable for power outages into the end pockets of the D36 (which is why one of my first thoughts was using these for disaster evacuation needs such as fire, hurricanes, etc. -- lots of room for blankets, too, and other items that I don't carry during airplane trips, but which others might find useful for camping or other circumstances.)

I think these bags are not designed to be carried in backpack fashion, because if you weren't carrying them with a shoulder strap, they'd probably with checked luggage in the hold, or in the back of a car.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-29-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: corrected line that the duffel style is not designed for backpack carry

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post

The D36 is actually much smaller than the A45. It's narrower than the A45.

A45 21.9" (w) x 14" (h) x 9.1" (d)
    D36 21.5" (w) x 11.5" (h) x 9.5" (d)

The Aeronauts are sort of fat, and the Road Duffles are long and thin. Those 2.5 inches in height makes a huge difference in internal space. 11 liters. I find the shape of the interior pockets to be better in the D36 than the Aeronauts. The D36 fits Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes perfectly. The A45 does better with the TB packing cubes. The D36 can carry with a shoulder strap in flat or sideways mode. Since it's a smaller bag, it's comfortable to carry with a shoulder strap.

The D36 hand carry handles close over the main opening, which I don't like, but it's very easy to undo the handles and redo them. If you want to carry the bag around open, then it actually comes in handy. When traveling, I clip my Absolute Shoulder Strap to the side and the that puts the hand carry handles on the "side" of the bag right at my hand level, so I can grab the handle to help carry it in shoulder mode.

The D36 folds down for storage or for bringing as an extra bag.

Personally, I prefer the D36 to the A45 because I'm not a backpack person, but I need my A45 for when I need that extra space and because a bag the size of the A45 is not comfortable in shoulder carry mode, so I like it as a backpack.

If you had to force me to only have one bag, it would be the D36. I fly with it all the time. Never had a problem.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aeronauts are sort of fat, and the Road Duffles are long and thin. Those 2.5 inches in height makes a huge difference in internal space. 11 liters. I find the shape of the interior pockets to be better in the D36 than the Aeronauts. The D36 fits Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes perfectly. The A45 does better with the TB packing cubes. The D36 can carry with a shoulder strap in flat or sideways mode. Since it's a smaller bag, it's comfortable to carry with a shoulder strap.

The D36 hand carry handles close over the main opening, which I don't like, but it's very easy to undo the handles and redo them. If you want to carry the bag around open, then it actually comes in handy. When traveling, I clip my Absolute Shoulder Strap to the side and the that puts the hand carry handles on the "side" of the bag right at my hand level, so I can grab the handle to help carry it in shoulder mode.

Personally, I prefer the D36 to the A45 because I'm not a backpack person, but I need my A45 for when I need that extra space and because a bag the size of the A45 is not comfortable in shoulder carry mode, so I like it as a backpack.

If you had to force me to only have one bag, it would be the D36. I fly with it all the time. Never had a problem.
    Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at the width and depth of the two bags and missed the height difference. I can see how a skinnier bag would be easier to carry duffle style. The A45 looks absolutely ridiculous carrying as a duffle on me (I'm a 5'5 female), so I have to do backpack or hand carry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me talk about the "little" pockets in the D36 for a minute. Those little pockets on the inside of the main section are great and each has an O-ring in case whatever you put there needs to not fall out. The end pockets feel more generous on the D36, or maybe they are just shaped more rectangular than the A45, but they also have little grab handles to make the zippers easier to open. But the best is the end-end pockets. On the A45, they are vertical and flat, so only really good for a boarding pass, or maybe gloves. On the D36, they open horizontally and have gussets, so you can fit something not flat in there. Also, the main lid pocket has the zipper opening at the opposite end of the lid than the A45. I find it easier to get things into and out of the lid on the D36 compared to the A45.

Can you tell I'm in love with the D36?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-30-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have an aeronaut? Any chance you'd post side-by-sides? I just gave my brother my aeronaut 45 and have been debating between an A30 or the new 36L duffle. The 45 was too big and bulky for me when fully packed - at that size I'd rather just roll a suitcase.

I'm worried the 36L bag will be more of the same. I'd love to see a lineup of bags to better compare!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted some pics of the RB36 side-by-side an A45. Unfortunately, I don't have an A30 to dig even deeper...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    Do you have an aeronaut? Any chance you'd post side-by-sides? I just gave my brother my aeronaut 45 and have been debating between an A30 or the new 36L duffle. The 45 was too big and bulky for me when fully packed - at that size I'd rather just roll a suitcase.

I'm worried the 36L bag will be more of the same. I'd love to see a lineup of bags to better compare!
    I do have an A45 and a D36 now, but a couple years ago I had an A30 and the D36 (dog edition, so coyote trim) and I posted comparison pics in this thread:

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-duffle-2.html

The D36 is much lighter (because no backstraps or firm backing), and holds less than the A45. The D36 is also lighter than the A30, but holds more than the A30. It's the sweetspot between the two bags, but doesn't do backpack mode. Keep in mind that both the Aeronaughts have about an inch of space taken up by the padding on the back and the backstrap compartment, plus halcyon lining, which the D36 does not have. It's just a single layer of ballistic fabric and that's it. It's like a Yeoman duffel only with extra pockets, so you actually get more space on the interior of the D36 than you would if it was an A36, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 12-02-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the intel! After looking at your pics, and the A45 comparisons I think the aeronaut 30 is still my ideal size. Anything more than that and I think I'd just reach for a 'regular' suitcase.. the road buddy looks great but it seems too close to the A45 (which is too bulky for me).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2