Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want an Aeronaut 36 - An essay on size

Disclaimer: I am lucky to have so many TB bags and recognise that not everyone does. I hope my points below are taken for debate and not only from a position of privilege.

So, I don't want an Aeronaut 36. Lots of people do. That, perhaps, perfect size between an A30 and A45. I thought I did before realising that the Ďone bagí would be a compromise of both the A30 and A45.

It wouldn't be as practical as the A30 for lightweight and restrictive airline carry on. And it wouldn't be as perfect as the A45 for larger loads at the upper airline (and some would argue, the comfortable carry) limits.

I'd be likely left wishing an A36 was smaller or bigger depending on the type of trip I was on.

And I often don't travel alone. I go with one or more members of the family so having an A30 and A45 gives lots of flexibility.

And this logic keeps applying to many of the TB designs
    -A30 / A45
    -Western Flyer / Tristar
    -Co-Pilot / Pilot
    -S19 / S25
    -Travel Cubelet / Small Cafe Bag (tenuous I know)
    -Side Effect / Side Kick

If you tried to find a middle ground of each of these design combinations, they'd be a great compromise but never quite as good as the larger or smaller in specific situations.

I've always believed that TB designs are deliberate and without compromise. Therefore two different sizes seems to fit that ethos.

Yes, the middle ground size would be a good overall choice if there was only one option, but I wonder if that would provide as much frustration that it wasn't just a bit bigger and/or smaller in any given situation.

I'm lucky to have both (in many of the designs listed above) and each one is perfect in its own way. So I'd rather not have an A36!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Perseffect; 11-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love an A36. The Medium Road Duffle is 36 L and it is the perfect size and shape. I find the A30 to be just that bit too small, and the A45 is only for my really long trips.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to design resources or space in the lineup, I would have preferred to see the option of an A36 or a Bi-Star than the Stowaway or the HJ. Maybe I'm just too conservative, but I think improvements to proven designs are a better investment than starting from whole cloth. I don't see it as a compromise as such, more like shoe sizing.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    When it comes to design resources or space in the lineup, I would have preferred to see the option of an A36 or a Bi-Star than the Stowaway or the HJ. Maybe I'm just too conservative, but I think improvements to proven designs are a better investment than starting from whole cloth. I don't see it as a compromise as such, more like shoe sizing.
    OOO, yes, a Bi-Star. The Tri-star's sections are just too shallow, and there's too many zippers, and that all adds weight. I love the WF, but it's just an inch too small in all directions.

Or a WF or Bi-star with a Pilot front, because I do not find the flat pockets on the front useful, and the waterbottle pocket is really not useful.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of great points here, as per(seffect) usual. One thing hit me in particular:

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Travel Cubelet / Small Cafe Bag (tenuous I know)
    I don't think it's tenuous at all - in fact the TC has always felt less like a Cubelet and more like something else. Besides the terminology (the cubelets at least have one set of faces that was square and the TC has none, but that may just be mathematical me talking), the design and feel are different.

The Cubelet feels like a storage item, a micro packing cube. Whereas the TC feels like a bag - just like (other than the design differences) a mini cafe bag. This also sheds light on why the SCB never worked for me as a quick carry or for my wife as a purse - it's an in-between point that doesn't have enough room for EDC but was superfluous for those quick trips with just phone/keys/wallet. The TC is not superfluous for that light a load!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you on most of the comparisons (though I’d LOVE a S22 !) but I think the aeronaut series definitely has a gap in the middle. 15 liters is a big difference!

I guess we’re always looking for the ‘perfect bag’, which likely would have to be ‘perfect’ for our body size and personal carry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, did I miss the village meeting where pitchforks and flaming torches were raised demanding an A36?
    Last edited by rogsim; 11-19-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsim View Post
    Sorry, did I miss the village meeting where pitchforks and flaming torches were raised demanding an A36?
    well, I don't think it's a matter of flaming torches and @perseffect is a pretty mellow guy, but it's a not uncommon theme here for requests/discussions on potential sizes between the A30/A45, S19/S25, etc... think of it like you're stepping into the middle of an on going conversation, it's not really a non sequitur considering the overall arc of the forums

I'm with @imperetor that it's a bit like shoe sizing... I'm not as hung up on the overall capacity of the bags vs the fact that some just don't fit my short self in the torso area (why S25, why!? why can't you be 2" shorter!?)

this is a forum of enthusiasts...whilst waiting for the debut today, have to find something to enthuse about!
    Last edited by G42; 11-19-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THEY MADE THE ROAD BUDDY 36L!!!! WhooHoo!!!! It's basically the Doggienaut 36, with black trim instead of coyote trim. My all time favorite TB bag.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments. Maybe Iím physchic and somehow knew a 36L product was on the horizon....
    (Actually Iím not and timing was complete coincidence).

Thanks also for your comment @G42 about my mellow nature, appreciate that. Itís what Iím striving for!

No pitchforks in sight here, hence me not capitalising I DONíT WANT AN A36 !$%Ä! But I know thereís a lot of interest in this size of bag.

Happy Thanksgiving to yíall this week from this side of the pond.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Disclaimer: I am lucky to have so many TB bags and recognise that not everyone does. I hope my points below are taken for debate and not only from a position of privilege.

I'm lucky to have both (in many of the designs listed above) and each one is perfect in its own way. So I'd rather not have an A36!
    Oh, but your entire argument is grounded in owning two bags, and being able to chose between them. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who can afford ONLY ONE of the following -- A30, A45, Western Flyer, or Tristar.

If those are your choices and you can choose ONLY ONE, would you still think they're perfect? Or would you want something different?

For me, I'd go with a larger version of the Western Flyer -- one closer to the maximum dimensions of a legal carry-on in Europe.

Yes, you can often get away with an under-packed A45, but I've heard enough stories about people being asked to check one that I won't risk it. Plus, the A45's lack of a secure way to carry a laptop in a cache is a non-starter for me; and the Tri-Star's compartments are too shallow.
    Last edited by Buffalonian; 11-20-2018 at 04:33 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is the problem I was trying to highlight. That if you could choose only one, it would be hard to know which to choose as both the smaller and larger are very good at slightly different things.

Iím not sure a middle ground bag was suit as you wouldnít get the benefits of either.

E.g. an A36 wouldnít be as small (dimensions) as the A30 so would loose the benefit of being European carrier compliant.

If I personally had to choose, Iíd have to go with the A30 simple due to airlines. But others may choose the A45 because their priority need is space. For some an A36 might work for them.

I like that TB designs are specific and not a middle ground compromise. But at the end of the day, itís only what the user needs thatís important.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried on an A45 on airlines all through Europe and didn't have a single problem. I also did not fly discount airlines. However, for normal flights in the USA, I love my D36 (Road duffel 36L). It is the perfect size. It's not just a weight or volume thing. It's the way the sections are laid out, long and flat, and how the end pockets are gusseted for more room, and all the other extra little pockets. If I had to give up all but one of my TB bags, the Road Buddy / Medium Road Duffel would be my keeper.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-20-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BWeaves, you have convinced me that I have to have one (especially since it will be available in Aubergineu)!

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the concern of an A36 coming to the collection, if it mean the A30 or A45 going away. You have to figure Tom Bihn wouldn't support 3 variants of the exact same design (I guess the Synapse 25, 19 and GE are the closest example) The two Aeronauts now fill very specific use case situations. A "compromise" replacement, would make it less then ideal for the situations the two current bags now fulfill perfectly...

The real question Tom would want to answer would be "Does adding another Aeronaut make good business sense?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast