Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is halcyon crinkly-noisy?

(ETA: Question should be “IS Halcyon crinkly-noisy?” Can’t figure out how to edit title.)

I just watched a video called “Tom Bihn Forum Bag Hacks.” When pulling a Packing Cube Backpack from its host, some sort of a shoulder bag, and then when stuffing said host in the backpack, it was crinkly. Very crinkly. Same thing (somewhat) happened a couple hacks later with another bag.

I am considering a halcyon Daylight Backpack and Shop Bag. This would be a deal breaker for me. I don’t want to hear my bags move with me. Going for a more stealth presence...

Please advise.
    Last edited by WinifredBanks; 11-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm
    'noise' is going to be a personal matter of preference
    the NSA/CIA/FBI/other assorted alphabet agencies are not necessarily going to to bless these bags as being soundless... but they've never bothered me and I'm easily irritated by noise - YMMV
    the biggest 'noise' complaint I've heard is the jangling of the YKK zippers (noticeable)... muted by cords through zipper pulls and eliminated by cutting off the metal pulls
    since you're in Chicago (woot! nice city), take advantage of the return policy (be sure to read the FAQ) and buy both halcyon and ballistic versions of an item and listen for yourself
    let us know what you pick
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it that video? Forum Bag Hacks Part I
    Link: https://vimeo.com/160672777

Comparing the sound of Halcyon with for example a plastic bag, the plastic bag is 10 and Halcyon is 0, 1 or 2.

In the video, the microphone is literally right next to the Halcyon bag, a plastic bag would sound like a predator rushing through dry grasses.

I am a really big fan of Halcyon and if it had been a crinkly fabric, it would have been a deal breaker for me, as well.

It looks like the Pilot (the square bag which hold then is held by the Iberian Halcyon Packing Cube Backpack) is in Coyote 1050 D Ballistic, which is a very strong fabric which has a slight wave.

Since my 1050 Ballistic TB Bag are all Luggage Bags, I have only used Halcyon Packing Cube Backpacks inside 1050 Ballistic, not vice versa, sound is not a problem, even taking things in and out in the middle of the night from one bag to another.

The Daylight Backpack in Olive is, I think, in Cordura, a sometime, fuzzy fabric, which could make noise, when in contact with other fabrics. Tom Bihn has discontinued the use of this fabric.

I just remembered that my first luggage bag from Tom Bihn was a Brain Bag in Cordura, in which I used Packing Cube Backpacks and Shoulder Bags in various colors.
    I didn't have a problem with noise.

As G42 suggested, you can order a couple of Halcyon items, use them in the house, being careful to keep the tags on them.

Below is TB suggestion on how to do that.

"How do I try out a bag without making it "used"?
    When you receive your TOM BIHN bag, you're welcome (and encouraged) to take it out of the box, inspect every inch of it, load it with what you carry in your current bag, and try it on for size, comfort, and looks. Don't spill coffee on it, let your cat sleep on it, or let your puppy chew on it. It's similar to how you would test out a pair of shoes: try them on indoors to see how they feel, but don't wear them outside.

Trying out your bag in the way described above should give you a good sense of whether the bag is right for you. If you decide it's not right for you, you're welcome to send it back for a return or exchange. If you would like help deciding whether it's right for you, give us a call or send us an email. And if it's love at first use, congratulations!"

If you love the bag(s), keep them, if not return or exchange them, within 60 days. During the order process, when the package arrives and while you try on things for size, you can contact customer service, with any question you may have.

You can also post here, on the forum, to share your experience and ask as many questions as you want.

The only difference between the forum and customer service is that they have all of Tom Bihn inventory at hand.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sound of a halcyon stuff sack sliding into a halcyon lined bag is very calming and soothing. The new aether on the other hand. That’s got a plasticy sound to it. Not like a single use plastic bag. But still more “plastic” than the “fabric” sound of halcyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's not nearly so loud and sharp as it sounds in the video. I'm a musician, and I sort of like the sound. More of a gentle rustle than a crinkle.

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are killing me. The musician enjoys the sound and the nobility is soothed by it.

I will accept @backpack’s conjecture about the microphone (yes, it was that video) and @G42’s compare-and-contrast advice and report back.

(I already have one pair of shoes that squeak and corduroy pants that murmur to me en route. With rustling Halcyon and jangly zipper pulls, I think the stealth image might be a pipe dream...)

Thanks, all.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Halcyon S25 that I use as my daily carry. A "noisy" / crinkly bag would drive me absolutely nuts.

You have nothing to worry about.

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lang View Post
    I have a Halcyon S25 that I use as my daily carry. A "noisy" / crinkly bag would drive me absolutely nuts.

You have nothing to worry about.
    Thank you. That video made it sound like a kid walking through a pile of autumn leaves. Okay, maybe a little pile. LOL.

(Anybody, how does one “Like” a post here? When I stab (iPad) at the thumb-up emoji, nothing happens. When I stab at the itty number next to the thumbs-up, nothing happens. Before, I figured it was because I was on forum probation, but I seem to be full-fledged now. Wanna show some gratitude...)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinifredBanks View Post
    (I already have one pair of shoes that squeak and corduroy pants that murmur to me en route. With rustling Halcyon and jangly zipper pulls, I think the stealth image might be a pipe dream...)
    Start singing along and you could be your own musical accompaniment!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinifredBanks View Post
    (Anybody, how does one “Like” a post here? When I stab (iPad) at the thumb-up emoji, nothing happens. When I stab at the itty number next to the thumbs-up, nothing happens. Before, I figured it was because I was on forum probation, but I seem to be full-fledged now. Wanna show some gratitude...)
    i click on the word...

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never noticed a noise. I have the Daylight Briefcase and a Daylight Backpack in Halcyon and tons of accessories.