Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit vs Maker's Bag as Baby/Toddler/Child Bag

Hello all,

As a first time parent, I think the Parental Unit really serve well as a Diaper Bag. I got my PU from a swap, even way earlier before we have any plan for baby. It was the first gen Parental Unit. The Classy Coyote

My son is 19 months now, growing up with the Parental Unit. As I said earlier, the Parental Unit was just right as a Diaper Bag. With right amount of dedicated yet semi-open space for almost anything during his much-needed Diapers period. But my son is bigger now, less diapers but more of his this and that - which can be quite too much for a Parental Unit to handle - zipped closed. One may suggest that we could have a secondary backpack, to handle the bulky or heavier content. Definitely, but Messenger like Parental Unit has its good advantage. Place it on the ground with zipped wide open, adults can easily grab things easily in and out and their eyes coordinate, and yet their hands on pretty much everywhere - those desperate poo moments, if I may. Haha. Ah... those moments. Frantic yet now, putting a smile in everyone of us (parents).

My son is bigger now and has a new set of challenges, and sometimes the Parental Unit just insufficient for us to cater to that. I'd been thinking whether to give up my Stowaway for a Maker's Bag. Specification wise, both Parental Unit and Maker's Bag just about the same Liter - 13 Liter while 12.5 Liter respectively. Yup, Maker's Bag is 0.5 Liter smaller in terms of volume. What you guys think? I could understand in reality with different kind of packing style, the Maker's Bag could be quite bigger.

I'd been trying a lot with Stowaway. I like what it can be but unfortunately, it doesn't stick to what I expected within my EDC scenario. It is somewhat regrettable that happened. Haha. TB can be emotional, sometimes. LOL. Nonetheless, one still need to return to practicality within one's mean.

I did a quick search on the Forums and Google with site:, to see such topic ever been discussed deeply. That is Parental Unit vs Maker's Bag. I didn't see any. If I miss anything, please do refer me to them. Thanks you in advance.

Definitely, welcome any comment between the two.
    Thanks again,
    Last edited by weirdguy; 11-19-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the Makerís Bag and Parental Unit. Got the PU as a diaper bag and like you, found myself using it less as my little one gets older. I use the MB as my daily carry to work and most everywhere. It just works for me with itís big open space plus organization.

I donít really think, though, it would be that drastic a difference from the PU for what you are describing. They really do hold pretty much the same load, whether thatís kiddo stuff or my work laptop, folders, lunch, etc.

I certainly wonít deter you from buying a new bag, but I donít think the MB would add that much over the PU in capability.

That said, Iíd recommend small or large shop bags, particularly the newer zippered versions. I use a small for my current diaper bag. It holds a ton for its size. Plus, you could have a couple and only use what you need for the outing.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @inky_thoughts!
    Haha. You certainly did not deter me from buying the Maker's Bag.

I feel the one big compartment of Maker's Bag would allow me to carry more odd-shape but not necessary heavy, like larger bowl with food inside while still carrying one or two baby bottles and other essentials. At right now, shall we want to carry those, we need to use separate bag like Shop Bag or Small Cafť Bag. I also think the Maker's Bag can be converted into a Parents+Children bag while in flight or in the car for a roadtrip, to hold parents laptop or electronic device, while still hold toddler's books, toys and snacks and so on.

When we are on the go, we try not to carry too much bag with us especially with our active toddler - we fear that we may accidentally left one of the bag behind somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely want to try the Small Zip-Top Shop Bag but I'm holding that purchase for a wider selection of 210 option.

North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I know everyone's use cases are different, but the Maker's Bag is the bag for me. Nearly perfect. And for my purposes it definitely makes a better parents+children's bag than the PU, just because the PU doesn't fit my personal organization style.

I also hear you on the toddler life - it's a whole lot less organized, but also a joy. In fact, my daughter inspires me to be far more spontaneous and in-the-moment.

I hope you enjoy the Maker's Bag, and the toddler parenting!

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is 22-months old, and we use our TS PCB as a diaper bag (as well as her daycare bag). In fact, we haven't used it as a packing cube since we first started using it as a diaper bag.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Passagare for sharing your experience.
    I also has a TS PCB but it never come to my mind that I might be able to convert into a diaper bag or alike. I will give it many test pack. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Swift as my edc with a young kiddo. I got to try a traveling PU, and actually felt hindered by the small pockets. Just got a pop tote, that definitely would have been a contender too if it had been around.