Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadow Guide Lining

Help please! Does anybody know? Is the whole of the interior of the new Shadow Cloud lined with Cloud, or just some of it?
    Many thanks

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    Help please! Does anybody know? Is the whole of the interior of the new Shadow Cloud lined with Cloud, or just some of it?
    Many thanks
    Here's two photos of the inside of the Shadow Guide:

Shadow Guide Lining-shadowguide_detail8a-jpg

Shadow Guide Lining-shadowguide_detail7a-jpg

The interior is partially lined with Cloud. It's a little difficult to see in those photos, but the Cloud lining is against the back of the bag (where the internal frame is) as well as the bottom of the bag. But not the sides or the front.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Here's two photos of the inside of the Shadow Guide:

Shadow Guide Lining-shadowguide_detail8a-jpg

Shadow Guide Lining-shadowguide_detail7a-jpg

The interior is partially lined with Cloud. It's a little difficult to see in those photos, but the Cloud lining is against the back of the bag (where the internal frame is) as well as the bottom of the bag. But not the sides or the front.
    Thank you Darcy, that's great......and super quick reply much appreciated.

The far west
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    Thank you Darcy, that's great......and super quick reply much appreciated.
    I'm glad I could help! If any other questions come up, feel free to ask -- I'm around and working today and tomorrow (I chose to work this weekend so I could take a couple of extra days off early next year to do some traveling Smilie

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay, I managed to take a few pictures of the inside of the Shadow Guide Backpack in daylight, so that you can see the inside Cloud lining along the back side of the bag. (I used a Mini-QClip to hang it by the webbing loop that runs between the backpack straps at the top of the bag, suspending it from the back of a chair so I could take pictures with natural light coming into the bag)

The Cloud lining basically covers the back side of the bag (where the Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh, padded with foam extends along the back of the bag, in contact with your back), and along the bottom of the bag, on the inside of where the 1050d Black Ballistic Nylon sits (this is the very bottom and a kind of triangular region seen in the side view of the bag (first picture on the product page). You can see that the flat bottom of the Shadow Guide naturally tilts down slightly from where it contacts the base of your spine. So the region of Cloud lining around the inside at the bottom of the backpack is longer at the very back (furthest from your spine) and shortest just next to your spine -- if you made a cut perpendicular to the long axis of the bag, so that it intersected near the bottom of your back, that would be the region covered by Cloud at the bottom of the bag.

In the pictures shown below, I've pulled out the frame -- it normally slots into the Cloud lining at the back, so the central 40% or so of the back looks black. This is another thing that makes it difficult to shoot pictures that accurately give you a sense of the Cloud lining. Probably, someone who is using an actual camera instead of an iPhone, and who also can make better lighting arrangements can do a much better job.

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3764-1-jpg
    This is an inside shot of the inside of the Shadow Cloud taken near a window, and with my iPhone aimed looking down from the top of the bag. You can see that the back wall is all Cloud, and that the base of the bag also has a Cloud lining, with black piping around the base. You can also see that there is additional Cloud around the base that extends below the Black Ballistic Nylon of the interior -- most notably near the back side of the bag where you see the Cloud lining, because thats where the bottom that is reinforced with 1050d Black Ballistic Nylon extends a little further down your back. Because I've pulled out the black frame sheet, you can also see that Cloud piping at the back of the Shadow Cloud has two sections delineated with Black Piping along each side. That's the Cloud material at each side that holds in the Black frame sheet against the main Cloud backing fabric. In Darcy's top picture, that whole center section looks black, because the frame sheet is in place. It also makes it more difficult to photograph the inside bottom of the bag, because so much of the backing is black plastic from the frame sheet in those views.

Here's what the frame sheet looks like pulled out:
    Shadow Guide Lining-img_4167-jpg

The "wings" slot into the Cloud fabric at the sides of the back. There's also a metal bar down the center. It may be that this can be adjusted like the frame sheets for the Synapses and Aeronauts (or that you can even entirely remove the bar and just use the plastic frame sheet), but it wasn't clear to me in this case how I would make this fit my back better -- in my case, simply removing the frame sheet made the fit of the straps and bag a more comfortable fit. And actually, since the area of the mesh backing is narrower than for the Synapses and the angle of the backpack strap attachment straighter (whereas the curved straps have to connect to a wider base for the Synapses), I found the intrinsic fit somewhat more comfortable with the Shadow Cloud, as long as I removed the frame sheet.

Here are some pictures of the bag taken outside in daylight:

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3768-jpg

You can see that as long as I don't have to adjust the exposure setting for the black frame sheet, it's quite easy to see all the way to the bottom of the bag. (Picture looks on its side because of the way I had to hold the iPhone camera).

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3770-jpg

And here's the top section of the bag. Notice that the webbing loops for caches are stitched to the top of the bag, and are separate from the frame sheet. It's easier to view this in Darcy's top picture.

HTH

moriond

The far west
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are excellent photos @moriond it's tough to get good shots of the inside of a bag but you've done it.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos. That really helps.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Okay, I managed to take a few pictures of the inside of the Shadow Guide Backpack in daylight, so that you can see the inside Cloud lining along the back side of the bag. (I used a Mini-QClip to hang it by the webbing loop that runs between the backpack straps at the top of the bag, suspending it from the back of a chair so I could take pictures with natural light coming into the bag)

The Cloud lining basically covers the back side of the bag (where the Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh, padded with foam extends along the back of the bag, in contact with your back), and along the bottom of the bag, on the inside of where the 1050d Black Ballistic Nylon sits (this is the very bottom and a kind of triangular region seen in the side view of the bag (first picture on the product page). You can see that the flat bottom of the Shadow Guide naturally tilts down slightly from where it contacts the base of your spine. So the region of Cloud lining around the inside at the bottom of the backpack is longer at the very back (furthest from your spine) and shortest just next to your spine -- if you made a cut perpendicular to the long axis of the bag, so that it intersected near the bottom of your back, that would be the region covered by Cloud at the bottom of the bag.

In the pictures shown below, I've pulled out the frame -- it normally slots into the Cloud lining at the back, so the central 40% or so of the back looks black. This is another thing that makes it difficult to shoot pictures that accurately give you a sense of the Cloud lining. Probably, someone who is using an actual camera instead of an iPhone, and who also can make better lighting arrangements can do a much better job.

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3764-1-jpg
    This is an inside shot of the inside of the Shadow Cloud taken near a window, and with my iPhone aimed looking down from the top of the bag. You can see that the back wall is all Cloud, and that the base of the bag also has a Cloud lining, with black piping around the base. You can also see that there is additional Cloud around the base that extends below the Black Ballistic Nylon of the interior -- most notably near the back side of the bag where you see the Cloud lining, because thats where the bottom that is reinforced with 1050d Black Ballistic Nylon extends a little further down your back. Because I've pulled out the black frame sheet, you can also see that Cloud piping at the back of the Shadow Cloud has two sections delineated with Black Piping along each side. That's the Cloud material at each side that holds in the Black frame sheet against the main Cloud backing fabric. In Darcy's top picture, that whole center section looks black, because the frame sheet is in place. It also makes it more difficult to photograph the inside bottom of the bag, because so much of the backing is black plastic from the frame sheet in those views.

Here's what the frame sheet looks like pulled out:
    Shadow Guide Lining-img_4167-jpg

The "wings" slot into the Cloud fabric at the sides of the back. There's also a metal bar down the center. It may be that this can be adjusted like the frame sheets for the Synapses and Aeronauts (or that you can even entirely remove the bar and just use the plastic frame sheet), but it wasn't clear to me in this case how I would make this fit my back better -- in my case, simply removing the frame sheet made the fit of the straps and bag a more comfortable fit. And actually, since the area of the mesh backing is narrower than for the Synapses and the angle of the backpack strap attachment straighter (whereas the curved straps have to connect to a wider base for the Synapses), I found the intrinsic fit somewhat more comfortable with the Shadow Cloud, as long as I removed the frame sheet.

Here are some pictures of the bag taken outside in daylight:

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3768-jpg

You can see that as long as I don't have to adjust the exposure setting for the black frame sheet, it's quite easy to see all the way to the bottom of the bag. (Picture looks on its side because of the way I had to hold the iPhone camera).

Shadow Guide Lining-img_3770-jpg

And here's the top section of the bag. Notice that the webbing loops for caches are stitched to the top of the bag, and are separate from the frame sheet. It's easier to view this in Darcy's top picture.

HTH

moriond
    Thank you! That's great. Very helpful and your efforts greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People that have the Shadow Guide and have used the Smart Alec in the past: How do they compare, in terms of comfort and what can be packed inside? Are they equally useful for commuting or traveling, or is the Shadow Guide meant more for hiking and similar outings? Thanks!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    People that have the Shadow Guide and have used the Smart Alec in the past: How do they compare, in terms of comfort and what can be packed inside? Are they equally useful for commuting or traveling, or is the Shadow Guide meant more for hiking and similar outings? Thanks!
    I personally haven't used the Shadow Guide out and about but have packed & test carried one indoors....plenty of room for carrying whatever you wish as it has no compartments at all except for 3 within the lid. I guess it would depend on how organised you want a pack to be or whether you use pouches, packing cubes etc.
    I like the lack of zips on the outside as it makes it pretty thief-proof whilst standing in crowds, queuing, or on public transport. It is sort of quiet, unobtrusive and slimline. If you don't like the rigidity / support of the internal frame that is removable. The straps are very comfortable & I think the back might be better in the heat than some other packs. The optional padded hip belts would probably be a great help for serious load carrying or long distances.
    Personally I prefer and own the Smart Alec as it is a bit shorter (the SG feels quite a bit longer on me) & I am not very tall, 5' 4" ish, although it is wider and more bulky.
    Last edited by KAB; 11-30-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that forum member thax has posted a photo in https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ately-108.html and is going to do a review.

Forum Member
    Boulder Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bchaplin!

I have and use a Smart Alec (SA) as well as the new Shadow Guide (SG).
    Comfort: that is subjective. I am 6' 1" (1.85m) and the waist belt on the SG is on my hips, the SA is above them by a few inches. As for the frame sheet, it's easily removable so if the soft back of the SA is preferred the SG can do that, there wasn't a frame sheet made for the SA, and I really like how it adds structure and shifts the weight to the hip belt on the SG.
    What can be packed inside: the SA is a 26L bag and the SG is 31L, and it's all in that one main pocket. I can put my full SA load out in the SG and add a coat and shoes easily. The SG is taller but the circumference of the bag is similar when loaded.
    I would commute with the SA, the SG with the buckles and cinch top is more of an effort to get into than the easy zipper of the SA. I will be using the SG for climbing and hiking primarily.

Other thoughts:
    I'll create a review thread with pictures and include the SA in that for comparison. (I'll post that this weekend and edit this post to point there)
    The SG to me so far is an even more extreme configuration of a one compartment toploader. The SA has side pockets, and the two zippered interior pockets are much bigger than the mesh pockets on the underside of the SG lid. There is basically the lid pocket on the SG and the draw string body of the bag, the two mesh pockets are very flat and just big enough for the new Nik's wallet or something you would put in a mini OP.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much!
    This pretty much answers my questions, along with @KAB's earlier comments. I think I will stick to using my Smart Alec (which I don't wear very often as it is, but like to have in reserve because sometimes this style of backpack is handy to have).
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Boulder Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much!
    This pretty much answers my questions, along with @KAB's earlier comments. I think I will stick to using my Smart Alec (which I don't wear very often as it is, but like to have in reserve because sometimes this style of backpack is handy to have).
    You can't go wrong with a Smart Alec. It is one of my favorite TB designs, the Synapse(19/25), Aeronaut 45, DLBP and the Super Ego being some of the others. (This list is not all inclusive)