Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing the many thanks for the advanced heads-up, @Darcy!

Sorry to be thick, but questions re: the Large Zip-Top Shop Bags:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d ballistic nylon
    There have been many requests for the Zip-Top Shop Bags to be offered in 210d ballistic nylon (in addition to the 200d Halcyon in which we currently offer them). We get that: 210d is a great fabric. Still, it can be tough for our small company to offer and manage so many color and fabric options. But that 210d sure is a great fabric…. so, here’s what we’ve decided: we will offer the Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d ballistic nylon for pre-order alongside the Luminary 10 and the Luminary 14. Will we offer Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d in the future? At this time, we don’t know. You’ll help us decide that.

When you say retiring the 210d ballistic nylon, are you including the solid Black color or just the fancy ballistic colors (Dawn, etc)?

Also, my apologies that I can't seem to recall, (approximately) when do you expect to do Luminary pre-orders?

ETA: Kindly ignore that second question -- I just discovered the answer on another thread. For anyone else wondering, it's early 2019.

Thank you!
    Last edited by kmw; 11-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Darcy said recently that they won't make the Aeronauts in 525, only 1050.
    Ah thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Thanks @Darcy for the heads up. Price increases seem very reasonable.

Any chance we could get the dimensions of the Luminary 14??? Volume 14L I assume but length and width? We are waiting with bated breath.
    Soon-ish all will be revealed! Emphasis on that -ish part. We're working on a blog post that follows the Luminary Pre-Production Batch process (which is underway, but won't be completed until mid-December due to the production floor being busy keeping up with current demand) and that will also list the design changes made to the Luminaries as well as specs.

Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    Hey I know I've asked before but still no plans to see the Aeronaut in 525 fabric? I don't see anything 'in production' for the A30 at all...

Can I also ask if there's any more colorways of the black halcyon in the pipeline for the A30? Selfishly I already own a black halcyon/iberian A30 and was planning to buy a second one. Was hoping to differentiate the interior fabric!

Thanks again and by the way, THIS is how you do a price announcement. Thank you for the notice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Darcy said recently that they won't make the Aeronauts in 525, only 1050.
    It's very possible that we will offer the Aeronaut in 525d someday, but not someday anytime soon.

As for more Aeronaut 30s in Black Halcyon: we're having our inventory/ordering meeting tomorrow. I'll circle back here after that

Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Echoing the many thanks for the advanced heads-up, @Darcy!

Sorry to be thick, but questions re: the Large Zip-Top Shop Bags:

When you say retiring the 210d ballistic nylon, are you including the solid Black color or just the fancy ballistic colors (Dawn, etc)?

Also, my apologies that I can't seem to recall, (approximately) when do you expect to do Luminary pre-orders?

ETA: Kindly ignore that second question -- I just discovered the answer on another thread. For anyone else wondering, it's early 2019.

Thank you!
    Not thick at all and I'm glad you asked!

The "base" colors (the colors we make every production run) of the two Zip-Top Shop Bags (both Small and Large) are currently Northwest Sky, Iberian, Wasabi, Island, and Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon and Black 210d ballistic. It's possible -- based on the popularity of the Dawn, Island, Coyote, Viridian, and Grass 210d ballistic versions of the two Zip-Top Shop Bags the next time those colors are available for order -- that we may change those base colors to include fewer Halcyon colors and more 210d of those colors. (Note: Viridian and Grass are still retiring, so they won't be available in the long-term anyhow.)

We expect to retire the Original Large Shop Bag design entirely in all colors in early 2019 but we'll offer it one more time for those who prefer its open top to the zipper of the Zip-Top Shop Bags.

(Feel free to let me know if any of that didn't make sense. I've got a bit of a cold and am fuzzy headed today, so my words may not be as-making-sense as they could be!)

And about that Luminary pre-order date: we're still on track for early 2019.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for more Aeronaut 30s in Black Halcyon: we're having our inventory/ordering meeting tomorrow. I'll circle back here after that

Thank you!!! Hope you feel better!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you feel better soon Darcy! Best wishes from across the pond.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "base" colors (the colors we make every production run) of the two Zip-Top Shop Bags (both Small and Large) are currently Northwest Sky, Iberian, Wasabi, Island, and Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon and Black 210d ballistic. It's possible -- based on the popularity of the Dawn, Island, Coyote, Viridian, and Grass 210d ballistic versions of the two Zip-Top Shop Bags the next time those colors are available for order -- that we may change those base colors to include fewer Halcyon colors and more 210d of those colors. (Note: Viridian and Grass are still retiring, so they won't be available in the long-term anyhow.)

We expect to retire the Original Large Shop Bag design entirely in all colors in early 2019 but we'll offer it one more time for those who prefer its open top to the zipper of the Zip-Top Shop Bags.

(Feel free to let me know if any of that didn't make sense. I've got a bit of a cold and am fuzzy headed today, so my words may not be as-making-sense as they could be!)

Thanks so much, Darcy -- I wasn't quite sure if Black 201d was considered part of the base colors, or if I'd just thought of them that way. Thanks for confirming. And feel better!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I also ask if there's any more colorways of the black halcyon in the pipeline for the A30? Selfishly I already own a black halcyon/iberian A30 and was planning to buy a second one. Was hoping to differentiate the interior fabric!
    The gist from the meeting is: we'll likely offer Black Halcyon with an interior other than Iberian (it's likely to be Wasabi) in early 2019, but not anytime very soon.

Thank you!!! Hope you feel better!
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    Hope you feel better soon Darcy! Best wishes from across the pond.
    Thank you! Esther brought some ginger and jujube red dates to work for me yesterday and I made tea with them last night. Already feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Thanks so much, Darcy -- I wasn't quite sure if Black 201d was considered part of the base colors, or if I'd just thought of them that way. Thanks for confirming. And feel better!!!
    Somehow in my original post I momentarily forgot about the Black 210 even though I have and use a Zip-Top in Black! So, I'm glad you asked.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All seems reasonable.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original Large Shop Bag in 210d ballistic nylon
    The Zip-Top Shop Bags are more popular than the original, open-top Shop Bags, and it’s very likely we will retire the Original Large Shop Bag by mid-2019. Before we do that, though, we’ll offer it one more time in 210d ballistic nylon.
    I understand sales are complex and I hope the LSB bag isn't just leaving because the Zip Top Shop Bags were introduced. I would think LSB market is saturated as they have a long useful life causing a drop in sales with lack of replacement need and then the newness of the zip top feature stirred a new sales surge.

I would also miss the simplicity of the LSB design, its ability to fold and store into itself compactly, and ability to use it inside out for extra usage options. Three things that the ZTSB's lack with a different design purpose.

I feel they are 2 different products and hope to see the LSB continue as I add to my collection over the years even if it stays around even of only a single color or two at a time.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I understand sales are complex and I hope the LSB bag isn't just leaving because the Zip Top Shop Bags were introduced. I would think LSB market is saturated as they have a long useful life causing a drop in sales with lack of replacement need and then the newness of the zip top feature stirred a new sales surge.

I would also miss the simplicity of the LSB design, its ability to fold and store into itself compactly, and ability to use it inside out for extra usage options. Three things that the ZTSB's lack with a different design purpose.

I feel they are 2 different products and hope to see the LSB continue as I add to my collection over the years even if it stays around even of only a single color or two at a time.
    +1 on this. I share the same sentiments. Most of the time I use my shop bags inside out to maximize them. Yesterday I was fiddling around with a small halcyon zipped top bag turning it inside out and it just doesn't work well. It's totally not the same as the original design with a completely open top. Hearing the original large shop bag will also be discontinued makes me sad. On flights I have packed one out with a full S19, a Side Effect in a pocket, a large bottle of water, plus my 311 bag, and the shop bag sat underneath the seat in front of me. I'm sure that same load could not be accommodated in a zipped top shop bag. To me, the zippered top and original design both have room in the TB world.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use the zip top and open top shop bags for different things...

Maybe once a year TB can have a pre-orderpalooza for the most popular disco'd items....
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard and noted re: the Original Large Shop Bag. And it's possible we could offer it for pre-order someday down the road, as long as we find the production time and enough folks are interested in them. We'll add an email sign-up box to the Original Large Shop Bag page like the one on the page for Tom's Firewood Carrier so people can sign up to be notified if/when we offer 'em for pre-order.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soon-ish all will be revealed! Emphasis on that -ish part. We're working on a blog post that follows the Luminary Pre-Production Batch process (which is underway, but won't be completed until mid-December due to the production floor being busy keeping up with current demand) and that will also list the design changes made to the Luminaries as well as specs.

It's very possible that we will offer the Aeronaut in 525d someday, but not someday anytime soon.

Feel better soon, Darcy!

Well, I am kind of late to the party and did not anticipate the LSB to be discontinued so soon.

I waited to get both the LSB and both size of the zippered one together.

It should be no surprise that I would be delighted to see Dawn in both the opened and zippered version.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto-ing the love for the original open-top Shop Bag as well. The new zip-top ones are excellent, and we've been super happy with them, but I find the open-top ones (which we also love) as well.

In particular, I've discovered that certain size/shape boxes that do fit in the open-top won't fit in the zip-top -- not because of their height but because of the bottom width/length difference. There's just enough of a difference in the zip-top v. open-top bags' size and shape that make the open-top better for certain mailing boxes in particular.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In agreement with the previous posts appreciating different purposes of the open top and zip top Shopping Bags. I own a few open top Large Shopping Bags and use them regularly - some have even been given to family and friends who admire them. This is not just for shopping, but also leisure travel, at the beach and other activities... It’s an item that I will often add a new one to each Tom Bihn order. I do not see this being replaced by zip top Shopping Bags - I don’t want the extra compexity. What I would love to see is more ballistic 210 colour choices.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast