Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will join the love for the original Large Shop Bag! It's easier to fold it up to carry in another bag than the zip version is. I'm glad to have a couple of the zip version, but I'm also glad to have several of the original version.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Heard and noted re: the Original Large Shop Bag. And it's possible we could offer it for pre-order someday down the road, as long as we find the production time and enough folks are interested in them. We'll add an email sign-up box to the Original Large Shop Bag page like the one on the page for Tom's Firewood Carrier so people can sign up to be notified if/when we offer 'em for pre-order.
    Just wanted to add my voice to the pro-Original Large Shop Bag chorus. I have one Zip-Top Shop Bag, and, while I'm sure it'll be very useful when I'm travelling, for every-day schlepping things around I can't imagine finding anything that would beat the convenience and efficiency of the classic no-frills Shop Bag. It's easily my most-used bag, and I'll definitely be picking up a couple more in 210 ballistic when they're available.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldYam View Post
    Just wanted to add my voice to the pro-Original Large Shop Bag chorus. I have one Zip-Top Shop Bag, and, while I'm sure it'll be very useful when I'm travelling, for every-day schlepping things around I can't imagine finding anything that would beat the convenience and efficiency of the classic no-frills Shop Bag. It's easily my most-used bag, and I'll definitely be picking up a couple more in 210 ballistic when they're available.
    Can I just say "ditto"?
    All of this is my exact feelings on the great Shop Bag debate.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say we're continuing to read / note all of the feedback about the Original Large Shop Bag and I expect we will offer it for pre-order someday down the road (after the offering early next year as planned, of course!) Maybe it's kinda weird, but we relate to our designs almost like they're people. And in that way, it's nice for us to read all the support for the OLSB. I'm glad there's plenty of them out there being used and appreciated.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Just wanted to say we're continuing to read / note all of the feedback about the Original Large Shop Bag and I expect we will offer it for pre-order someday down the road (after the offering early next year as planned, of course!) Maybe it's kinda weird, but we relate to our designs almost like they're people. And in that way, it's nice for us to read all the support for the OLSB. I'm glad there's plenty of them out there being used and appreciated.
    Thank you for listening to us, Darcy. It's nice to know that there will be at least one preorder for the original large shop bag. I admit I was one who hoped for a zippered shop bag, but honestly, I never thought it would be at the cost of having the original small and large shop bags retired. My thinking was if the zippered bags ever came to fruition, it would be great to have an option between the two styles of bags. Now I'm sort of sad the original shop bag is being sacrificed for the zippered version. My hope is the TB Crew will rethink this decision and keep the original style.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me TB bags are not "bags" they are helpers.

I use them, not only as EDC (Summer LSB, Winter S19) and Travel Bags (precise packing Tristar or S45 and Yeoman Duffle for drop stuff as I go), but also to organize items related to the crafts I practice.

This started with the Swift for all the items needed for needlework, when it was first released.

The Swift is also used for journaling supplies.

However, it is too small for calligraphy and coloring books as well as coloring and watercolor supplies, so I was delighted when TB made the LSB in EDC Ballistic, because this the perfect TB bag for them.

Thank you so very, very much Tom and Nik for your designs; Darcy for keeping the forum engaging and the website up to date and interactive; Kat, Cody and Mike for customer caring, in the best of way. Thank you for everyone who makes our TB bags and make the office work.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised at the interest in the original LSB. I had not considered buying one until they offered a zippered version. And now, every time I use it--except when I run across the street to the grocery store--I zip the top up. Otherwise, any other tote would do. The zipper makes it feel more like a usable bag for me. Also, as a man, it allows us to use something practical with many of the key features of the Longchamp Le Pliages that many women carry...I never understood why that bag was so popular, but now I get it.

I will say that the zippered version does not fold particularly well (I don't own an original so have no point of reference). But it does fold well enough to fit into the mesh inside pocket of a GoRuck GR1, which makes it a conveneint bag-in-bag. Before that, I kept a regular free tote in there that I got with a Brooklinen purchase and I never really minded the lack of zipper then. But now that I have the zip capability, I can't see going back to the open top...who knows though...maybe I just need to try one of these OLSBs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Any other tote" doesn't have nice padded handles!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I'm surprised at the interest in the original LSB. I had not considered buying one until they offered a zippered version. And now, every time I use it--except when I run across the street to the grocery store--I zip the top up.
    I do have one zip top LSB and like it. But for majority of use, whether regularly shopping or occasionally for example as a beach bag, I don’t need a zip and it’s something that adds to cost, complexity, and limits flat packing. Hence my love and owning a number of the original open top LSB. The comfortable padded handle (on both zip and open top) is a big plus compared to other makes of bag.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 12-09-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both versions of the LSB are great, but they are not interchangeable.

I use my no-zip LSB when the weather is nice and I am not concerned with things being upended or overly crowded.

If it is raining, I will reach for my Zip LSB. Also when I will be juggling a lot of things and I might have to shove the bag sideways somewhere. The zip ensures things won't fall out.

But the zip version is kind of unwieldy if you have to pack it down flat and so if I'm stashing a just-in-case Shop Bag, it will more likely have no zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the open top shop bags for actual grocery shopping... tall things can stick out of the top better.
    My preference has always been for the small size however. I use one or two per trip (single household) and two packed bags are a better balance for me than one fully packed large. I've also found that, being short, a large will sometime scrap the ground (!).
    So far the best use of the zip top (either size) for me is as my personal item on the plane...I use my A30 or 45 in backpack mode and the Zip Shop Bag goes under the seat.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going to put this unpopular opinion in there: this is the second time that you make your bag significantly more expensive (much above inflation rate). They're great bags, but for me this makes some of them bad value. Even if the cost of making them would increase for you, salaries only follow inflation for most people.

I'm sure you've made your calculations and that's it a good or necessary thing for your company, but personally it eventually moves classics like the Synapse in the "just spend the extra and get this from TB" to "yup, this bag on amazon is better value".

In any case, keep on making great bags and good luck!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I'm just going to put this unpopular opinion in there: this is the second time that you make your bag significantly more expensive (much above inflation rate).
    Much above the inflation rate? Not sure I follow... the inflation rate from 2016 & projected forward is running about 2%/year... looking at the increases @Darcy posted, it looks like the increase per bag (and not all items are increasing) is running around 1.5 - 6%, depending. Not sure if they factor inflation by material & components, labor, or a weighted combination. If it's been 2 years since the last increase - and even if we make a wild supposition that they'll go up again in about two years - this doesn't seem particularly out of line.

That of course is my opinion and estimation of the math... I fully support your right to your opinion and you should definitely purchase/vote with your dollar as you see fit
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the original shop bags, but I love the zip top versions better. I don't have to zip them if I don't want to, but I have the security of knowing that nothing will fall out if I do zip them. Yes, the zip top versions don't fold quite as well, but the originals really don't fold down that well either. If I want a supremely packable tote, I stick a Flip & Tumble in my bag. I don't like the F&T bag as much as the TB shop bags, but they are better for keeping an emergengy tote in another bag. I only haul my TB bags when I know I will be shopping.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great suggestion. I just placed an order for F@T bag to try it out. I ordered new design of the small zip-top shopping bag in black 210 ballistic but I did not like it and send it back. The material was too stiff and the black color too dark for my liking. I just placed a new one in halcyon (brighter choice) together with the truck and the new Nick's wallet #4.
    I check it out soon how I like them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast