Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Much above the inflation rate? Not sure I follow... the inflation rate from 2016 & projected forward is running about 2%/year... looking at the increases @Darcy posted, it looks like the increase per bag (and not all items are increasing) is running around 1.5 - 6%, depending. Not sure if they factor inflation by material & components, labor, or a weighted combination. If it's been 2 years since the last increase - and even if we make a wild supposition that they'll go up again in about two years - this doesn't seem particularly out of line.

That of course is my opinion and estimation of the math... I fully support your right to your opinion and you should definitely purchase/vote with your dollar as you see fit
    I agree.

Inflation rate is one thing. Other things could be changing that often exceed the oft-cited rate of inflation: rent/utilities, health insurance cost changes or plan changes, materials/supplies cost, equipment replacement, shipping/supply chain costs, onboarding more new employees than expected, IT/software. Especially with small companies, these changes can be felt at a magnitude. If the company is affected by tariffs changes and considering the introduction of so many new designs this year, or this, or that... you never know what's exactly happening, and there's more to a business. Even with "simple" changes like adding O-rings, costs can add up: the O-rings themselves, labor/time to sew them, let alone quality control, training and informing everyone of the changes, and other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Yes, sometimes TB bags can seem like a significant price and I am sure there are members who are buying now to save the $5-10 before the price change. But putting your dollar where your mouth is and supporting (American and/or) ethical businesses and ethical manufacturing is important to a lot of members. The steadfast quality and the level of customer service here aren't on Amazon. TB takes pride in allowing customers to know staff by name, see pets, be welcomed to the factory- they'll make cookies. The four months of advance notice for minor price adjustments is extraordinarily kind. The elaboration about specific minute design changes is not many places at all.

You'll see sustainability through the shipping carbon offsetting and encouragement to mend bags rather than replace. Collaboration/communication with customers on a level you won't see elsewhere. Relationships built, designs changed, generosity, inclusion. Fair and living wages and benefits - which are not cheap and are often the bulk of expenses for many companies.

I have started to forget now but I've had many a backpack rip and tear on me, zippers fail... money poured into replacements. I'm not worried about if that happens to me anymore. I'm looking for longevity and to reduce that 'fast fashion' mindset where everything is 'replaceable.' I'm not saying everyone here is looking for an ethical company, sustainability, or these ideals I'm talking about. But there's overlaps of groups of folks who agree that TB products fit their lifestyles and values. Minimalists, quality freaks/BIFLers, sewing fiends, bag lovers, lucky gift recipients. Many people here who come for the bags or bag questions and stay long after the question has been answered. You get what you pay for and there's many reasons for the loyalty.
    Last edited by julia; 12-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    The bigs: BB ■ | S25 ■ | Pilot
    The littles: LS ■ | LSB | SSB | PCSB | SE | CC | 3DOC | PP

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TOM BIHN Sketchbook & Pen
    A unique square sketchbook and mini Bic blue and white writes-in-four-colors pen (the last of their kind; when these are gone, they’re gone for good).

Does that mean the item is being discontinued?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the Luminary 10&14 be out before the price increase for all the other bags?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Will the Luminary 10&14 be out before the price increase for all the other bags?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I wonder this as well. I plan to buy a few other TB bags to include in my Luminary pre-order as a comparative, but I may have to buy them early if the Luminary doesn't pre-order until after the increase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    TOM BIHN Sketchbook & Pen
    A unique square sketchbook and mini Bic blue and white writes-in-four-colors pen (the last of their kind; when these are gone, they’re gone for good).

Does that mean the item is being discontinued?
    Sorry I missed this @backpack

The mini Bic writes-in-four-colors pen was discontinued by Bic. When the Sketchbook & Pen sell out, the pen (and maybe this particular Sketchbook) will be gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Yes, they will. Also of note:
    The 2019 first pre-order for the Luminary 10 and 14 will be at the current prices of $120 and $130 respectively; both packs will eventually increase to $130 and $140.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

The mini Bic writes-in-four-colors pen was discontinued by Bic. When the Sketchbook & Pen sell out, the pen (and maybe this particular Sketchbook) will be gone for good.
    Discontinued?! On hearing this news, I may or may not have just bought a box of 12 mini Bic 4-way pens. They fit perfectly in a Small OP! And my kids love them.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [...]

[...]
    Does that mean there will be another sketchbook *keep dreaming*
    I love the design of the skectchbook, but this current size will be filled to quickly for me

BTW thanks a lot for the information,
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it known whether Burnt Orange 525 will be available in some bags before the price increase, or not until afterward? I noticed that Darcy's post at the beginning of this thread says "The first production run of The Truck started next year will be offered in the same 525d colors it is now (plus Burnt Orange!) as well as Dawn, Coyote, Island, and Grass 210d" but I don't know when that first production run of 2019 will be. And actually I suppose the date of the Truck is beside the point for me, because the bags I'm really interested in are the SCB and MCB.

Depending on what colors it's paired with, I will probably get a Burnt Orange SCB and MCB shortly after they come out. There are a couple of other bags that I might decide I needed in Burnt Orange too, but I'm not certain about those yet. :-)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I missed this @backpack

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your post, it just caught my eyes.

I know, how so very busy, the end of the year is, for small businesses, especially TB which makes durable, made in the U.S.A, gift items.

I didn't know about the Mini Bic being discontinued, I am happy I got one with TB's name and cute log on it.

The TB Sketchbook is soooo cute, please keep it if you can, or, at least the OP design in the front cover of TB future sketchbooks, in other sizes and with more pages, which might be more popular.

It is a lovely offering from The Crew, but I'll understand if it is a limited time one.

May be you guys can make a sticker, with the OP design, that we can stick to our various journals, agendas, notebooks, class notes... If a future sketchbook is not doable.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    [...]
    The TB Sketchbook is soooo cute, please keep it if you can, or, at least the OP design in the front cover of TB future sketchbooks, in other sizes and with more pages, which might be more popular.
    [...]
    Yes *^* bigger sketchbooks with this cute design
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates on when the refreshed PCSB is being released? IIRC it was supposed to be sometime in Feb. Just trying to place the order before the hike next month (it's always that game of filling the cart whenever actually paying for shipping). Thanks!

ETA: Also hoping there happen to be some Size 3 Stuff Sacks in stock at the same time...crossing fingers.
    Last edited by experimentjon; 02-02-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Customer Service a couple of weeks ago for the PCSB release, and they said "late January or early February" it should be available.
    Rambling On. . . . .

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    Any updates on when the refreshed PCSB is being released? IIRC it was supposed to be sometime in Feb. Just trying to place the order before the hike next month (it's always that game of filling the cart whenever actually paying for shipping). Thanks!

ETA: Also hoping there happen to be some Size 3 Stuff Sacks in stock at the same time...crossing fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    I emailed Customer Service a couple of weeks ago for the PCSB release, and they said "late January or early February" it should be available.
    The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag will be available for order at the same time the Luminaries are available for pre-order. More on that (plus a date!) very soon....

(will check on those Size 3 Stuff Sacks and let you know)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Darcy. I am super excited for the luminary/ pcsb/ ztsb. Glad to hear news is imminent!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nebulous Grey/Island Synapse 25 is already sold out and in all likelihood won't be back before the increase. Color me really bummed out
    Last edited by jmachats; 02-05-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast