Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early heads-up: price Increase on March 1st, 2019

Hi everyone,

This is a really early heads-up on a roughly 6% price increase that we plan to implement on March 1st, 2019. The timing of this announcement might seem a little unusual given that it seems a lot of other companies are offering discounts this weekend. That said, we wanted to make sure to give everyone plenty of time so you can plan any order you might be placing accordingly. Also: our guess is that some of you might be ordering one of the new items on Monday, and that you might appreciate this early heads-up.

From time to time, we find it necessary to update our prices to reflect increases in costs of materials and overhead that we’ve otherwise been slowly absorbing. Our last price increase was in 2016 and we gave everyone about 10 days to place orders at current prices before the price increases took effect.

This time we wanted to give everyone more advance notice. We’re announcing this price increase now in November, but it won’t take effect until March 1st, 2019. Because our bags are, as usual, in demand, various designs or particular color combinations are often In Production. If we gave everyone just ten days to place an order before the price increase takes effect — not everyone would be able to get a chance to buy the currently “In Production” bag they’ve been thinking about or patiently waiting for. Note that it is likely that over the few months we will add bags as In Production that are currently in-stock or not on the website; we won’t be able to ensure bags added from this point on as In Production will be in-stock by March 1st, but we will do our best.

We’re also going to offer the two (well, four, but the Original Large Shop Bag and The Truck aren't increasing in price) bags in particular you’ve asked about in the fabrics/colors you’ve asked for at their current/original prices before the price increase takes effect:

Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d ballistic nylon
    There have been many requests for the Zip-Top Shop Bags to be offered in 210d ballistic nylon (in addition to the 200d Halcyon in which we currently offer them). We get that: 210d is a great fabric. Still, it can be tough for our small company to offer and manage so many color and fabric options. But that 210d sure is a great fabric…. so, here’s what we’ve decided: we will offer the Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d ballistic nylon for pre-order alongside the Luminary 10 and the Luminary 14. Will we offer Zip-Top Shop Bags in 210d in the future? At this time, we don’t know. You’ll help us decide that.

Original Large Shop Bag in 210d ballistic nylon
    The Zip-Top Shop Bags are more popular than the original, open-top Shop Bags, and it’s very likely we will retire the Original Large Shop Bag by mid-2019. Before we do that, though, we’ll offer it one more time in 210d ballistic nylon.

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 210d ballistic nylon
    The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is getting a few updates: first, more O-rings (thanks for the nudge @moriond) and new placements for the shoulder strap attachment points (so far, everyone testing these prefers them to the original attachment point placements), and finally, it will now be available in the following 210d ballistic nylon colors: Dawn, Viridian, Coyote, Black, Island, and Cloud. (In addition to one 200d Halcyon color: Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon.)

The Truck in 210d ballistic nylon
    While The Truck won’t be increasing in price — it’ll remain at $60 — we do know several of you had hoped to get one in Dawn, Island, or one of the other 210d ballistic nylon colors. The first production run of The Truck started next year will be offered in the same 525d colors it is now (plus Burnt Orange!) as well as Dawn, Coyote, Island, and Grass 210d. Because the 525d Truck options are the most popular, that first production run of 2019 may be the last one in which we offer the 210d colors.

(Okay, we’re sensing a theme here…. everyone likes 210d ballistic as much as we do! Yay!)

Here is a list of most of the major products getting (and not getting) price increases.

Internal Frames: no increase
    Padded Hip Belts: no increase
    Most Organizer Pouches: no increase
    Packing Cubes: no increase
    The Truck: no increase
    Road Buddy Duffels: no increase
    Nik’s Minimalist Wallets: no increase
    Brain Bag: no increase
    (various other designs won’t be increasing in price; see below for the list of designs that will increase in price)

The 2019 first pre-order for the Luminary 10 and 14 will be at the current prices of $120 and $130 respectively; both packs will eventually increase to $130 and $140.

Backpacks

Synapse 19 $190 >> $200
    Synapse 25 $200 >> 210
    The Guide’s Pack $250 >> $260
    Daylight Backpack $80 >> $85
    Packing Cube Backpacks $52 >> $55

Travel Bags

Aeronaut 45 $295 >> $300
    Aeronaut 30 $285 >> $290
    Pilot $160 >> $165
    Co-Pilot $140 >> $145
    Tri-Star $330 >> $340
    Western Flyer $240 >>$250

Briefcases

Cadet $160 >> $170
    Daylight Briefcase $80 >> $85
    Ristretto $145 >> $150
    Parental Unit $145 >> $150

Other Bags

Travel Cubelet $40 >> $45
    Small Cafe Bag $65 >> $70
    Medium Cafe Bag $70 >> $75
    The Maker’s Bag $130 >> $140
    Side Effect $50 >> $60
    Side Kick $65 >> $70
    Small Zip-Top Shop Bag $40 >> $50
    Large Zip-Top Shop Bag $55 >> $65
    Pop Tote $95 >> $100
    Swift $90 >> $95
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag $34 >> $38
    Small Snake Charmer $25 >> $28
    First/Second Aid Pouch: $32 >> $38

Note: any currently retired designs may or may not have their prices increased if/when we decide to make another production run of them. Also, a lot can happen in three months and it’s possible we may need to adjust these increases. If that becomes necessary, we’ll update this thread and let everyone know.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Original Large Shop Bag in 210d ballistic nylon
    The Zip-Top Shop Bags are more popular than the original, open-top Shop Bags, and it’s very likely we will retire the Original Large Shop Bag by mid-2019. Before we do that, though, we’ll offer it one more time in 210d ballistic nylon.
    @Darcy, thank you for the heads-up about price increases and also the colors in the upcoming productions. I was wondering if you had the color offerings in the 210d for the original shop bag. Will it be only in black or will other 210d colors be offered in its farewell production?
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @Darcy, thank you for the heads-up about price increases and also the colors in the upcoming productions. I was wondering if you had the color offerings in the 210d for the original shop bag. Will it be only in black or will other 210d colors be offered in its farewell production?
    Ah, good question! We'll be able to offer the Large Original Shop Bag in at least Dawn, Black, and Island 210d, and it's possible that we'll offer the last batch of Large Original Shop Bags as a pre-order (don't hold me to that just yet, though! there's still logistics to work out on that one) so folks can choose the color they want.

Still, because the Zip-Top versions of the Shop Bags are way more popular than the Original and the Shop Bags in general require a lot of fabric, we don't want to commit a lot of Viridian or Grass to making the Original and then not be able to make as many Zip-Tops as folks would like in those colors.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noirdic Large Zip-Top Shop Bag?

In light of Noirdic going gently into that good night, is there any possibility that a small run of large zip-top shop bags in Noirdic might happen? Failing that, maybe a couple organizer pouches? PCSBs?

I'd buy the Nordic S25, but my Olive one is still perfectly fine and I can't justify the expenditure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yay! Zip tops SBs and Trucks in 210 ballistic, and coyote!!!

I was never wild about the PCSB before, but in 210 ballistic and with more o-rings, now I'm intrigued.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this awesome news! So excited for a Dawn Truck and zip top LSB in 210 ballistic! Any idea when they’ll be available for order/pre-order?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up on the price increase Darcy. Do you know when you'll update us on the final design changes of the two Luminary Backpacks? The pricing is actually the first confirmation of anything since the blog post a while back, I believe...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    In light of Noirdic going gently into that good night, is there any possibility that a small run of large zip-top shop bags in Noirdic might happen? Failing that, maybe a couple organizer pouches? PCSBs?

I'd buy the Nordic S25, but my Olive one is still perfectly fine and I can't justify the expenditure.
    No plans to make or offer Shop Bags or PCSBs in 400d Halcyon (Nordic, Black, or Original). 400d is a great fabric, but we just don't think it's the right fabric for those two bags.

That said, we do end up with scrap Nordic and Black Halcyon in the cutting department -- I could see us making some more Organizer Pouches out of that scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstj315 View Post
    Thanks for this awesome news! So excited for a Dawn Truck and zip top LSB in 210 ballistic! Any idea when they’ll be available for order/pre-order?
    I do have an idea of that timeline, but I don't want to share it just yet until we've nailed a few more details down. It will be in early 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the price increase Darcy. Do you know when you'll update us on the final design changes of the two Luminary Backpacks? The pricing is actually the first confirmation of anything since the blog post a while back, I believe...
    Thanks for your understanding @ButtUglyJeff -- price increases aren't a fun thing but they are occasionally a necessary thing.

The Luminary PPB (Pre-Production Batch) is in process and it's going well. Here's a photo from the first meeting Lisa, Tom, Nik, Mike and Fong had about how the manufacturing process was progressing:

Early heads-up: price Increase on March 1st, 2019-ppb-meeting-luminary-jpg

My plan is to post an update on the final design changes of the Luminaries in early January. Or maybe a little sooner....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy for sharing. Believe me, I really appreciate the heads up. Inflation is a part of life unfortunately. I had a bad experience with another bag company that announced a 25% increase, and wouldn't fulfill orders for bag types until after the price increase went to effect, even thou they gave a 1 month notice. I really appreciate the opportunity to make a purchase ahead, like the Luminary...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Darcy, early 2019 sounds good to me ��

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy: Appreciate the heads up and detailed explaination.

Will Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 210d ballistic nylon be open for ordering on 26/11?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingslower View Post
    @Darcy: Appreciate the heads up and detailed explaination.

Will Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 210d ballistic nylon be open for ordering on 26/11?
    Unfortunately, it does not appear to be the case. Quote from the product page: "We're making a couple of minor updates to the design of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. We estimate it will be available for order in early 2019."
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Darcy for the heads up. Price increases seem very reasonable.

Any chance we could get the dimensions of the Luminary 14??? Volume 14L I assume but length and width? We are waiting with bated breath.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I know I've asked before but still no plans to see the Aeronaut in 525 fabric? I don't see anything 'in production' for the A30 at all...

Can I also ask if there's any more colorways of the black halcyon in the pipeline for the A30? Selfishly I already own a black halcyon/iberian A30 and was planning to buy a second one. Was hoping to differentiate the interior fabric!

Thanks again and by the way, THIS is how you do a price announcement. Thank you for the notice!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    Hey I know I've asked before but still no plans to see the Aeronaut in 525 fabric? I don't see anything 'in production' for the A30 at all...

Can I also ask if there's any more colorways of the black halcyon in the pipeline for the A30? Selfishly I already own a black halcyon/iberian A30 and was planning to buy a second one. Was hoping to differentiate the interior fabric!

Thanks again and by the way, THIS is how you do a price announcement. Thank you for the notice!
    Darcy said recently that they won't make the Aeronauts in 525, only 1050.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast