Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 wish list

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    As @b1gsky mentioned, the weight of the two fabrics is pretty similar in a finished product. The 200d halcyon PCSB (no strap) is 3.4oz. The redesign adds an O-ring and moves the strap locations... and also offers it in the 210d ballistic for the first time, so there's no posted weight on that yet, but it won't move the needle much.
    Thanks to the two of you who commented, now I have a new order to make, when available.

I have the cubelet in various fabrics, but I guess my sturdier feeling ones are in a heavier ballistic than the 210d? They must be, and that's what made me think I needed halcyon. If 200d halcyon and 210d ballistic have similar pliability and weight, I should be good to go.

Edited to add: I checked my old orders. They were 525d ballistic. Thanks, again!
    Last edited by Lami; 02-12-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lami View Post
    Thanks to the two of you who commented, now I have a new order to make, when available.

I have the cubelet in various fabrics, but I guess my sturdier feeling ones are in a heavier ballistic than the 210d? They must be, and that's what made me think I needed halcyon. If 200d halcyon and 210d ballistic have similar pliability and weight, I should be good to go.
    The Cubelets do indeed come in more than one weight of ballistic.

When you look at any product listing page, the drop down menu of colours lists the fabric & weight.
    So for instance, Deep Blue is listed as 525 ballistic whilst Viridian is 210 ballistic.
    It's easy to miss at first if you're distracted (ahem, this would be me) by the pictures and the little colour block icons.

ETA: Completely random observation...I think the Travel Cubelet might be the only item that is currently offered with 200 halcyon, 210 ballistic, and 525 ballistic... they all have some aether fabric inside to make pockets, but only really on one wall, so it's easy to compare.
    Last edited by G42; 02-12-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ristretto in colors other than black and gray.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Ristretto in colors other than black and gray.
    Welcome to the Forums, Carrie!

The Ristretto has been offered in other colors in the past, and if you keep an eye on eBay you can see them pop up there from time to time. Or if you have another Tom Bihn bag you'd like to swap for a Ristretto, you can post a swap offer in the Bag Swaps sub-forum. You might not be able to see that sub-forum until you've been here a little longer and posted a little more, but it's in the Just For Registered Members forum.

If you do either of those things, you should be aware that the Ristretto also used to be offered in three different sizes, so make sure the size you're getting is the one you want. (It used to be offered in sizes designed for iPad, 11" laptop, and 13" laptop. The current Ristretto is the 13" size.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalah View Post
    A 22L Synapse
    Welcome, @adalah! You are in good company with that wish.

I'm not sure what's going on with the broken image link in your post, what is the picture? Maybe I can help.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, aedifica! That is very helpful information. I love that everyone here is so helpful ... and obsessed about their bags.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    A new Smart Alec with:
    -internal frame like on S19, S25
    -UMP that also has attachment points for a shoulder strap
    -LMP that has attachment points for a shoulder strap

And/or, a reverse-engineered Side Kick and Travel Cubelet XL in a slightly different shape with multiple webbing loops down the sides to be UMP/LMP attachment points.

Also, gatekeeper webbing loops on Cubelets and Travel Cubelets would be good too. I really just want to gatekeeper clip several bags together I guess.

Also, yes to a limited edition pink Halcyon! I would have to buy all the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just love it all!! Make it a guide edition SA with the beautiful coyote zippers and attachment points at the bottom of the bag.

Damn it. Selling my S25GE and SE to buy all of it will break my heart

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ** Daylight Personal Size Item / Large version DLBC
    - DLBC with main compartment 4 inches wider

- Maybe add zipper to bottom of back pocket to slide over wheeled luggage handle.
    - Maybe the split pocket could be made into single pocket to hold papers
    - Maybe the main compartment zipper could remain the same or take on the yeoman/aeronaut/night flight opening design

Keep it simple and functional.

Would be near the retired Stowaway outer dimensions for maximum personal size item.
    Square corner form factor with minimal pockets maximizes volume capacity.
    A30 half packing cubes/ laundry cubes could fit in several combinations.

Large main compartment would also work for carrying large amount of file folders or papers of the 8 1/2 x 11" format.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    ** Daylight Personal Size Item / Large version DLBC
    - DLBC with main compartment 4 inches wider

- Maybe add zipper to bottom of back pocket to slide over wheeled luggage handle.
    - Maybe the split pocket could be made into single pocket to hold papers
    - Maybe the main compartment zipper could remain the same or take on the yeoman/aeronaut/night flight opening design

Keep it simple and functional.

Would be near the retired Stowaway outer dimensions for maximum personal size item.
    Square corner form factor with minimal pockets maximizes volume capacity.
    A30 half packing cubes/ laundry cubes could fit in several combinations.

Large main compartment would also work for carrying large amount of file folders or papers of the 8 1/2 x 11" format.
    What do you think of the Pilot? It has several of the features you mention.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think of the Pilot? It has several of the features you mention.
    Yes, I had looked at the Pilot.
    * It's only 12.5L capacity versus a widened DLBC of 17L capacity expected (for reference that difference is 1/4 the size of A45 main compartment capacity)
    * The difference of having extra 5 liter main compartment could hold a stack of 750 pages of printer paper
    * Water bottle and front pockets appear 3D so they subtract from the main compartment capacity and openness
    * The DLBC capacity is 86% of its exterior dimensions surpassing the Pilot, Yeoman mini, and Stowaway (at a low 68%)

Why I offered the wish: It could be simple addition, be a personal size item with 17L capacity weighing less than 1 lb., have an efficient capacity/external volume ratio, and possess a large, flexible main compartment.

My personal use would extend to use as a portable filing cabinet. I have a stack of past 12 month paper receipts and records that I have and carry before scanning and filing. (Oh the joys of organic certification requirements). Just this last week I had a plastic file carrier that got brittle over time and cracked while being moved. A wide DLBC would solve my problem of poor plastic products, have a nice carry of files between field, barn, and house, and be sized as a flexible personal size item. Yes, getting another DLBC is my possibility and then having someone sew the 2 DLBC together back-to-back. I just thought the daylight/yeoman series could use a personal size item that I have multiple uses for based on the proven DLBC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Yes, I had looked at the Pilot.
    * It's only 12.5L capacity versus a widened DLBC of 17L capacity expected (for reference that difference is 1/4 the size of A45 main compartment capacity)
    * The difference of having extra 5 liter main compartment could hold a stack of 750 pages of printer paper
    * Water bottle and front pockets appear 3D so they subtract from the main compartment capacity and openness
    * The DLBC capacity is 86% of its exterior dimensions surpassing the Pilot, Yeoman mini, and Stowaway (at a low 68%)

Why I offered the wish: It could be simple addition, be a personal size item with 17L capacity weighing less than 1 lb., have an efficient capacity/external volume ratio, and possess a large, flexible main compartment.

My personal use would extend to use as a portable filing cabinet. I have a stack of past 12 month paper receipts and records that I have and carry before scanning and filing. (Oh the joys of organic certification requirements). Just this last week I had a plastic file carrier that got brittle over time and cracked while being moved. A wide DLBC would solve my problem of poor plastic products, have a nice carry of files between field, barn, and house, and be sized as a flexible personal size item. Yes, getting another DLBC is my possibility and then having someone sew the 2 DLBC together back-to-back. I just thought the daylight/yeoman series could use a personal size item that I have multiple uses for based on the proven DLBC.

For whatever reason the Empire Builder doesn't get as much attention around here, but it seems to be quite a bag for people who need a real briefcase type thing.

It is probably a bit too much bag for what you need (especially at 4lb empty) but the Empire Builder is 22.5L, has a luggage pass through, and comes with plastic file dividers to keep papers in order.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16433938183

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you need to carry these documents anywhere except from field/barn/house, but when I have to carry extra files home from work, I put them in one of these, and then put that into a Large Shop Bag. There is still room for more in the LSB on either side of the file box, and it's convenient to carry from office to car to home.

https://www.staples.com/IRIS-Medium-...product_759397

I don't have a zipped LSB, but it would probably fit into that if you need to be able to protect the paperwork against the elements.
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish for more small packing cubes with handles!

Ever since @moriond mentioned how useful the mini Yeoman packing cubes are as lunch bags and stashable shopping bags, I've been looking for one. And I finally found a violet one!

Here it is holding the medicines and creams I cart around the house when my kids are home sick.

The handles make a huge difference and allow this packing cube to have another life outside of my closet, in between trips. It's easier to use than a stuff sack and more flexible than a Spiff Kit or FAK. I love it!

Thanks moriond, for the great tip.

PS-I also wish for violet Aether to stick around.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I just remembered another wish: Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slips in the new colors! I know the LCB is discontinued now, but that size of Freudian Slip (and that pocket assortment) is useful in so many other bags too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For whatever reason the Empire Builder doesn't get as much attention around here, but it seems to be quite a bag for people who need a real briefcase type thing.

It is probably a bit too much bag for what you need
    Empire Builder would be more briefcase features than i need and secondly it appears too large for airline personal item size voiding one alternative use.

@katrinkawinkle's post about using a file box in a LSB is an excellent idea I had not thought about. It fits the need perfect and gives me a reason to get another LSB or try a ZTSB. My issue was a file box much like that one. With time (5 yrs), exposure to warm house, cold barn, hot summer truck cab, and whatnot caused the plastic to become brittle and crack under use. The shop bag idea would prevent catastrophe and work well for longer.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast