Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 wish list

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update and bring back the Imago. Or add an external slip pocket to the MB. There is a real unfilled niche for an intelligently designed small messenger bag.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing me to the thread! Can this thread be "whooshed" into it?

If you have a tool wrap already, I think you could unobtrusively sew a flap on near the upper binding. In a solid cotton that matched your colour, or in black to match the binding, it wouldn't be a glaring addition.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My imaginary TB bags and accessories

Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Thanks for pointing me to the thread! Can this thread be "whooshed" into it?

If you have a tool wrap already, I think you could unobtrusively sew a flap on near the upper binding. In a solid cotton that matched your colour, or in black to match the binding, it wouldn't be a glaring addition.
    Ooh I've never used the Merge button. I will investigate!
    Edited to add: the thread has been whooshed!
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-24-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 wish list

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    -aether shoe bags... I'm thinking rectangular zip or drawstring pouches/sacks sold in sets of two so that each shoe can be wrapped separately and the extra aether fabric scrunched/tucked to ensure no extra room is taken up but that no nasty dirt and scum gets inside your bag... maybe two sizes: one for shoes/sandals (or a pair of flipflops) and one for boots... I've used plastic grocery bags for this in the past, but those days are long gone due to using reusable shop bags... and I have different types of Eagle Creek sil-nylon shoe bags but none are quite right...

I actually use 2 different sizes of the aether bags - I believe it is the end pocket aeronaut sizes, but I would have to measure to be sure, for my shoes when I travel. One size fits my slender dress shoes, and a larger size fits my larger sporty shoes. They are my absolute favorites for travel since the material does not retain dirt, they are shockingly lightweight, and the zipper is flawless. Of course I had an advantage when choosing the sizes, as I simply took a couple pairs of shoes into the factory store to verify that my sizing was correct after I placed my order.

Womenís size 7 shoes pictured
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I actually use 2 different sizes of the aether bags - I believe it is the end pocket aeronaut sizes, but I would have to measure to be sure, for my shoes when I travel. One size fits my slender dress shoes, and a larger size fits my larger sporty shoes. They are my absolute favorites for travel since the material does not retain dirt, they are shockingly lightweight, and the zipper is flawless. Of course I had an advantage when choosing the sizes, as I simply took a couple pairs of shoes into the factory store to verify that my sizing was correct after I placed my order.
    Do you wash the aether bags that you use for shoes? I haven't experimented yet - one of the reasons I've been procrastinating using them for shoes....
    The end pocket cubes make sense - I definitely would want the full aether (no mesh) to keep shoe dirt inside but I don't think the A45 ends are big enough for my work boots - I'll have to check.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42, I have not been washing them, but I think if they looked dirty a swipe with a damp cloth would likely suffice to remove dirt. Note, I looked back at the packing cube specs, and I think for my larger shoes I may have used a small packing cube instead since the depth is bigger than the end pockets. I suspect these might be too small for packing boots unless you wear a really small shoe size.

ETA: Now I am confused, since it looks like the small packing cubes are only available with mesh, and I thought they used to be available with only solid aether as an option. Please excuse my possibly faulty memory.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post

ETA: Now I am confused, since it looks like the small packing cubes are only available with mesh, and I thought they used to be available with only solid aether as an option. Please excuse my possibly faulty memory.
    They did used to be available both ways, but they disco'd the all aether versions of the non-end cubes back during the big packing cube reset a year or so ago

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Ooh I've never used the Merge button. I will investigate!
    Edited to add: the thread has been whooshed!
    Hey! Cool! You can whoosh!

I made a denim tool wrap with a little flap like I imagined (in my "self-sewn bags" thread), don't know if you saw.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Hey! Cool! You can whoosh!

I made a denim tool wrap with a little flap like I imagined (in my "self-sewn bags" thread), don't know if you saw.
    That's gorgeous! I love the binding tape. That's the sort of color I wish TB would debut in Halcyon! 2019 wish list

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wishlist for 2019 and beyond...

to start...
    a larger 3-1-1 bag. if you look at amazon for tsa approved 311 bags,there seems to be a lot of interpretations of what tsa’s regulation is. some are the perimeter dimensions of a 1q ziploc (LxW) but in 3D the dimensions are quite a bit more voluminous than 1qt. i have flown dozens and dozens of times domestically and internationally with variants of this sort with zero questioning on that. so how about a larger clear toiletries bag,say 8x9x3. i use 2 of these in the end pouch of a45. one for liquids and one for everything else. then 2 clear quarter packing cubes for tech organization on the other end pouch.

halcyon... in my opinion, it’s dated looking af. the colors and the white grid. is there a technical reason that the grid fibers are white? can’t they be the color of the fabric? i loathed to buy cubes and sacks in those colors/fabrics. and though i appreciate the density of these fabrics, i absolutely would never buy an externally visible pack in halcyon. yes, function should be primary,but there’s no reason that aesthetics shouldn’t be higher on the list at tb.

that brings me to the overall aesthetics of the tb line... been said in many reviews that the designs are tired,clunky and outdated. i would agree. hire a designer to work alongside tom to bring a more current aesthetic to the lineup but keep the function and bulletproof construction in-line with the reputation for which they are known.

would love the organization of synapse but the packability of daylight for a daypack. maybe with removable foam and swappable straps? would also be neat to have daypacks be lashable to a larger pack. maybe in a kangaroo fashion... lashed cleverly to the front of the pack. saw a kickstarter for something in this vein. guess it would be rather cumbersome to take pack off,but something i still occasionally wish for.

more breathable backs to the backpacks. full sweaty back anytime i’m carrying synapse above 70’ish F

external lashing points on packs. discretely on seams for those times you want to externally cary a jacket or pillow or wet beach towel or flippers,etc.

hope i don’t come off too harsh or not understanding of the tb aesthetic. i’m new to tom bihn (a45, s19 + accessories) so maybe i am.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxcv View Post
    my wishlist for 2019 and beyond...

to start...
    a larger 3-1-1 bag. if you look at amazon for tsa approved 311 bags,there seems to be a lot of interpretations of what tsa’s regulation is. some are the perimeter dimensions of a 1q ziploc (LxW) but in 3D the dimensions are quite a bit more voluminous than 1qt. i have flown dozens and dozens of times domestically and internationally with variants of this sort with zero questioning on that. so how about a larger clear toiletries bag,say 8x9x3. i use 2 of these in the end pouch of a45. one for liquids and one for everything else. then 2 clear quarter packing cubes for tech organization on the other end pouch.

halcyon... in my opinion, it’s dated looking af. the colors and the white grid. is there a technical reason that the grid fibers are white? can’t they be the color of the fabric? i loathed to buy cubes and sacks in those colors/fabrics. and though i appreciate the density of these fabrics, i absolutely would never buy an externally visible pack in halcyon. yes, function should be primary,but there’s no reason that aesthetics shouldn’t be higher on the list at tb.

that brings me to the overall aesthetics of the tb line... been said in many reviews that the designs are tired,clunky and outdated. i would agree. hire a designer to work alongside tom to bring a more current aesthetic to the lineup but keep the function and bulletproof construction in-line with the reputation for which they are known.

would love the organization of synapse but the packability of daylight for a daypack. maybe with removable foam and swappable straps? would also be neat to have daypacks be lashable to a larger pack. maybe in a kangaroo fashion... lashed cleverly to the front of the pack. saw a kickstarter for something in this vein. guess it would be rather cumbersome to take pack off,but something i still occasionally wish for.

more breathable backs to the backpacks. full sweaty back anytime i’m carrying synapse above 70’ish F

external lashing points on packs. discretely on seams for those times you want to externally cary a jacket or pillow or wet beach towel or flippers,etc.

hope i don’t come off too harsh or not understanding of the tb aesthetic. i’m new to tom bihn (a45, s19 + accessories) so maybe i am.
    There's room for all opinions as long as they are politely shared and adhere to the Forum guidelines linked at the top of every page. You'll find some folks agreeing and others who don't.

I for one really enjoy the current 'original' white grid black 400d Halcyon and I'm sad that it's discontinuing sometime this year. The 400d Nordic and Black are both dark grid, so those are two options for you - the Nordic is also discontinuing this year.

The current lighter 200d Halcyons are all white grid but TB is offering several items in the solid colour 210 ballistic that give a different feel and appearance.

As for overall aesthetic, to each their own... I adore the bags I have, for their functionality, build quality, and appearance.
    I'm on a trip right now with a Navy/NWSky A30, Steel/Island Pilot, and a bunch of accessories

Last edited by G42; 03-28-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shots fired. While I love all of my TB bags for their uses, I completely agree with all of your criticisms and suggestions. Aesthetics are relative to varying tastes, but I do feel that some of the designs could be refreshed to attract a wider customer base to the amazing quality and attention to detail that the company has.

As far as the functionality critiques- yes and yes please. More breathable backing and lash points would take the backpacks to another level.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxcv View Post
    halcyon... in my opinion, itís dated looking af. the colors and the white grid. is there a technical reason that the grid fibers are white? canít they be the color of the fabric? i loathed to buy cubes and sacks in those colors/fabrics. and though i appreciate the density of these fabrics, i absolutely would never buy an externally visible pack in halcyon. yes, function should be primary,but thereís no reason that aesthetics shouldnít be higher on the list at tb.

I totally agree. I feel like white grid Halcyon looks great on accessories (IMO) but on a full bag I don't really like it at all. It makes me glad that we have Ballistic 525D as an option, even if I would prefer to have kept Cordura 1000D. Although, I find that in real life it is a lot less harsh on the eyes compared to the way it photographs.

I also struggle with the aesthetics of some of the bags. I really wanted a Smart Alec for a long time but I don't like the look. I also really want a TB messenger / sling bag but I don't really enjoy the look of the MB or MCB either.

But I also don't want my Tom Bihn bags to be like every other bag. I don't like the modern aesthetic most of their "competitors" employ, and I don't find that anybody makes a better bag than TB either.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel differently. Halcyon was what brought me to TB in the first place and I absolutely love it, look and function. I love that the backpacks are simple without lots of exterior bits and bobs added - that's what makes them different from other brands. I love that there is no padded laptop compartment, because for me it would be a waste of space. I don't care whether my bags fit under a plane seat because I hardly ever fly!
    We're all different and there is a great bag out there for each of us. If TB isn't making what you want, it can be helpful to tell them about that, but they can't be expected to please everyone all the time 2019 wish list

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @deuxcv I would be interested to hear some examples of brands or styles that you consider more up to date. I have to say I don’t feel like you do at all, I think all my TB bags stand out, but in a good way. For years my EDC was a DLBP (halcyon with white grid lines!). I’ve lived in Berlin for a long time and to me that bag was the perfect mix of laid back technical practicality and grown up dressy looks. It looked great both with jeans and a band tee and a skirt and cashmere (those are the two ends of my style spectrum, basically). And during that time I saw enough hipster wannabes carrying pretentious and expensive bags to appreciate the simplicity of the design of my own bag... (If you read this and live in Berlin and are now slightly offended, sorry for that.)

And I feel the same about my other bags, my SCB in Aubergine looks better than any other small messenger I’ve come across (not counting fashion crossbody bags for women, to me that’s a totally different category). Oh and I now have a L12 for work, got it a few days ago. And that backpack is actually elegant, something I never thought I would say about a technical bag. I could wear that one with a dress, heels and a wool coat and it wouldn’t look odd.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 03-28-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast