Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 wish list

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowInTheDark View Post
    I definitely second the 24 - 30L duffel bag idea. Super bummed that the Night Flight is no longer available. The Yeoman is nice but lacks convenient built in pouches/smaller zipped areas for quick access to certain items. Other bags that do have pouches tend to be a little large. There's definitely a need for a smaller travel oriented duffel. A smaller Road Buddy would be perfect.
    The Night Flight was a great bag. It was crazy how much it held, as evidenced by the hassle I got from Customs when they couldn't believe it had been my weekend carry for a visit to Canada. I wish they would remake them, without the foam insert (which wasn't really necessary and was apparently hard to obtain, part of the reason they were discontinued).
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The Night Flight was a great bag. It was crazy how much it held, as evidenced by the hassle I got from Customs when they couldn't believe it had been my weekend carry for a visit to Canada. I wish they would remake them, without the foam insert (which wasn't really necessary and was apparently hard to obtain, part of the reason they were discontinued).
    Agreed, I pulled the foam insert out immediately and have never had use for it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a weekend trip with the Night Flight right now, and I was surprised to find that if I hadn't ended up needing to bring my laptop (I wasn't able to get all my homework done before the trip) I'd actually have been able to use just the NFTD or NFTD + SE even with my CPAP!

So my latest wish on the wish list is for the NFTD to come back with two modifications: O-rings in the side slip pockets (it's a great pocket for a transit pass, but I want to clip the pass to something) and as others have suggested, borrowing a leaf from the Aeronauts' book so that the middle section can borrow room from the side pockets at need.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I concur bring back the NFTD! I regret selling my NFTD but I would definitely buy one new if TB brought them back (although Halcyon had more give I think Iíd want one in a Deep Blue ballistic or possibly Island Halcyon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    So my latest wish on the wish list is for the NFTD to come back with two modifications: O-rings in the side slip pockets (it's a great pocket for a transit pass, but I want to clip the pass to something) and as others have suggested, borrowing a leaf from the Aeronauts' book so that the middle section can borrow room from the side pockets at need.
    @aedifica, there's an easy way to get a tethering solution for the side slip pockets: insert a Tom Bihn pouch inside the slip pocket, and make use of either the O-ring or snaphook. My choice would be to use Small Halcyon Double Organizer Pouch, since that size will fill up the side slip pocket entirely, and provide the right combination of light weight and stiffness to hold things in place, but other good possibilities are the original size Passport Pouch -- with RFID lining to improve stiffness is preferred -- or the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch (which is Ballistic Nylon).

If you absolutely have to have an O-ring as the tether point inside the slip pocket, because you don't have any triangle hooks, double carabiner clips, or Nite-Ize S-biners to connect to any part of the pouch, then the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch or Passport Pouch will do. Personally, I carry a mini mesh Coyote organizer pouch with bag hacking parts (they don't include the S-biners, although I do have these, too).

So here are my top choices for inserting into the side slip pockets:

On the left are the candidate pouches I've mentioned: (from the top) Burnt Orange 1050d Ballistic Nylon Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch; Small Double Organizer Pouch (DOP) in 200d Steel Halcyon, with a 1" Triangle Hook part and a Wasabi Double Carabiner Clip below (either of these can provide a tether point to the DOP snaphook end, as shown by the Triangle Hook attachment -- I could have used a Nite-Ize S-biner here, too); Original Design Northwest Sky Passport Pouch with RFID lining (pre-April 2018 redesign to hold more passports -- see April 4, 2018 blog post and/or the Updated (2018) Passport Pouch thread. (Note: I continue to use the original Passport Pouch, while the larger (current version) of the passport pouch is being used (sometimes) to hold my Kindle, but @Cristina and @pammy may have moved onto the larger size).

You basically need a pouch that can fit through the slip pouch opening (the height of the Mini Organizer Pouch or the width of one of Nik's wallets), but that is too wide to fall back through or be pulled through that opening by the tethered object. For that reason it should be stiff and long enough. Better to have the tether point at the corner, but you can invert the Size 2 Knitting tool pouch to put the O-ring in the middle height of the slip pocket if you wish.

At the right side of the photo I show a Kiwi 1050d Ballistic Nylon Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch overlying the slip pocket of the Nordic 400d Halcyon Night Flight Travel Duffel, and positioned above the opening. The clear space is exactly the size of a transit card such as the Oyster card. The reinforced ballistic nylon on either side keeps this pouch from buckling. The O-ring of the Knitting Tool Pouch has an 8" keystrap with split ring end in Coyote (could have used an O-ring end), which is tethered to a Mini Size Coyote Mesh Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch that is lying on top of a Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch.

A few more photos:

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch inserted in the slip pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel. (Not sure it is easy to see, but the edge of the DOP goes all the way to the back of the pocket.)

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch lying on top of the Slip Pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel. (The bottom of the pouch covers the opening of the Slip pocket, which is why I showed the smaller Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch overlying the Slip Pocket in the first photo -- you can see the size of the opening that also works as a hand grip.)

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Original (smaller) Version (pre-April 2018) of the RFID Passport Pouch lying on top of the Slip Pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel.

HTH

moriond

Other possible combinations may work: I like the Small Double Organizer Pouch because the double zipper at the bottom provides a sturdy solution. (I can also unzip the bottom zipper and insert my tethered item behind the fabric). Any pouch that is long enough and stiff enough can be inserted, but the Small Ghost Whale Organizer pouches are generally not very stiff, and the First/Second Aid Pouch leaf pouchkins have fragile bandolier clips that you might snap if they're at the bottom.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-20-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Post timed out with original photo uploads

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had so wanted to love my Night Flight, but it was just a tad too small in the middle compartment. If it had had the same borrow space from the side compartments that my Aeronaut does, I would have kept it. It was just so cuuuuuuuuute.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2019 wish list-img_4296-jpg
    2019 wish list-img_4297-jpg
    2019 wish list-img_4298-jpg
    2019 wish list-img_4299-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @aedifica, there's an easy way to get a tethering solution for the side slip pockets: insert a Tom Bihn pouch inside the slip pocket, and make use of either the O-ring or snaphook. My choice would be to use Small Halcyon Double Organizer Pouch, since that size will fill up the side slip pocket entirely, and provide the right combination of light weight and stiffness to hold things in place, but other good possibilities are the original size Passport Pouch -- with RFID lining to improve stiffness is preferred -- or the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch (which is Ballistic Nylon).
    I have a small Cordura DOP with me, I'll give that a try for the trip home. Thank you!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Freudian Slip in my S25 is getting kind of weary. The problem is that the bottom of it ends up curling, probably due to weight further up. It'd be neat if there was a way to add a stay or other additional structure to the FS.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

If you absolutely have to have an O-ring as the tether point inside the slip pocket, because you don't have any triangle hooks, double carabiner clips, or Nite-Ize S-biners to connect to any part of the pouch, then the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch or Passport Pouch will do. Personally, I carry a mini mesh Coyote organizer pouch with bag hacking parts (they don't include the S-biners, although I do have these, too).

So here are my top choices for inserting into the side slip pockets:

On the left are the candidate pouches I've mentioned: (from the top) Burnt Orange 1050d Ballistic Nylon Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch; Small Double Organizer Pouch (DOP) in 200d Steel Halcyon, with a 1" Triangle Hook part and a Wasabi Double Carabiner Clip below (either of these can provide a tether point to the DOP snaphook end, as shown by the Triangle Hook attachment -- I could have used a Nite-Ize S-biner here, too); Original Design Northwest Sky Passport Pouch with RFID lining (pre-April 2018 redesign to hold more passports -- see April 4, 2018 blog post and/or the Updated (2018) Passport Pouch thread. (Note: I continue to use the original Passport Pouch, while the larger (current version) of the passport pouch is being used (sometimes) to hold my Kindle, but @Cristina and @pammy may have moved onto the larger size).

You basically need a pouch that can fit through the slip pouch opening (the height of the Mini Organizer Pouch or the width of one of Nik's wallets), but that is too wide to fall back through or be pulled through that opening by the tethered object. For that reason it should be stiff and long enough. Better to have the tether point at the corner, but you can invert the Size 2 Knitting tool pouch to put the O-ring in the middle height of the slip pocket if you wish.

At the right side of the photo I show a Kiwi 1050d Ballistic Nylon Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch overlying the slip pocket of the Nordic 400d Halcyon Night Flight Travel Duffel, and positioned above the opening. The clear space is exactly the size of a transit card such as the Oyster card. The reinforced ballistic nylon on either side keeps this pouch from buckling. The O-ring of the Knitting Tool Pouch has an 8" keystrap with split ring end in Coyote (could have used an O-ring end), which is tethered to a Mini Size Coyote Mesh Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch that is lying on top of a Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch.

A few more photos:

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch inserted in the slip pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel. (Not sure it is easy to see, but the edge of the DOP goes all the way to the back of the pocket.)

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Small Double Organizer Pouch lying on top of the Slip Pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel. (The bottom of the pouch covers the opening of the Slip pocket, which is why I showed the smaller Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch overlying the Slip Pocket in the first photo -- you can see the size of the opening that also works as a hand grip.)

The Northwest Sky 200d Halcyon Original (smaller) Version (pre-April 2018) of the RFID Passport Pouch lying on top of the Slip Pocket of the Night Flight Travel Duffel.

HTH

moriond

Other possible combinations may work: I like the Small Double Organizer Pouch because the double zipper at the bottom provides a sturdy solution. (I can also unzip the bottom zipper and insert my tethered item behind the fabric). Any pouch that is long enough and stiff enough can be inserted, but the Small Ghost Whale Organizer pouches are generally not very stiff, and the First/Second Aid Pouch leaf pouchkins have fragile bandolier clips that you might snap if they're at the bottom.
    You've blown my mind, @moriond . I had no idea that was a usable pocket (considering, you know, it's upside down)!

I need to get some higher quality twill tape and I will include it in my o-ring sewing list. I could easily sew an o-ring or just a webbing loop onto the binding of the pocket opening.

Many thanks!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I'm on a weekend trip with the Night Flight right now, and I was surprised to find that if I hadn't ended up needing to bring my laptop (I wasn't able to get all my homework done before the trip) I'd actually have been able to use just the NFTD or NFTD + SE even with my CPAP!

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I can't see any of the photos in @moriond 's post and I can't figure out which pocket you're talking about when you say " side slip pocket ".

Please could you post another pic or provide text explanation ?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Sorry if I'm being dim, but I can't see any of the photos in @moriond 's post and I can't figure out which pocket you're talking about when you say " side slip pocket ".

Please could you post another pic or provide text explanation ?
    If you can't see @moriond's photos I don't know if me uploading another photo would help you any, so here's a link to another site with a review including photos. The photo right above the word "Conclusion" is a view of one end of the NFTD, showing the curved zipper that opens to a flat pocket--not the side compartments that are larger. Does that help?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 wish list

Wait now I'm confused. I thought originally @aedifica meant the inner pocket in one of the zippered end pockets (I thought slip meant no zip, does it just mean flat?) and then I thought @moriond's photos were about the upside down opening used as a handle on each end. Now after your last post, @aedifica, I am unsure!

Either way I am going to put an o-ring in the upside down pocket and my mind is still blown.

(This post has been edited, I hope for clarity)
    Last edited by Cristina; 04-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came back to read your replies and found that the pictures were working again! Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Wait now I'm confused. I thought originally @aedifica meant the inner pocket in one of the zippered end pockets (I thought slip meant no zip, does it just mean flat?) and then I thought @moriond's photos were about the upside down opening used as a handle on each end. Now after your last post, @aedifica, I am unsure!

Either way I am going to put an o-ring in the upside down pocket and my mind is still blown.

(This post has been edited, I hope for clarity)
    Now I'm confused! I may be misusing the term "slip pocket," to me it just means a flat pocket with or without a zipper. I mean the flat pockets with the curved zippers on the very ends of the NFTD, not the handholds--it hadn't occurred to me that anyone might use those as pockets! What I want is to be able to put my transit pass in one of the zipped, flat end pockets and attach it to an o-ring.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast