Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there such a thing as one bag?

Hi folks,

Seeing the thoughts/insights from others on a travel/packing dilemma. My daily work routine is about to change and I will be away from home for circa 3-nights each week.

Back in 2011 I purchased an Ego with a Horizontal Brain Cell, then last year I purchased a Synapse 25 as a gym bag + laptop and daily work things (keys, notebooks, pens, + lunch). Without the gym clothes it became too-big a bag for just a laptop plus lunch and I ended up using my old Ego.

With my new work/travel situ my initial thought is that the Synapse 25 should give me plenty of capacity for;

laptop
    notebook
    headphones
    snacks and then

clothes
    toiletries.

I also happen to be training for a 100km ultra marathon so need running gear (running shoes plus shorts/top).

Ideally i'd have one bag for all of this but i'm struggling. With the Ego at 23L, it feels too big and cavernous, & minus the braincell it lacks rigidity. When you throw the Synapse at 25L and the Ego together it also starts to get a bit much for Carry-On.

Is there such a thing as one-bag for 3-day trips plus gym gear and laptop/work gear? Either that or a smallish briefcase/over the shoulder or messenger type bag for work essentials i.e. laptop, headphones, notebooks, etc.

So, any suggestions on how I could make all of this work?? I've had a quick look at the Tri-Star or Western Flyer but feel there's not much between those and the Synapse 25.

Thanks
    Matt

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep thinking about the Tri-Star. You can fit 3 days of clothes in the outer large portion with a Packing Cube, laptop in a Cache + notebooks in the center pocket, running shoes and a toiletry bag in the segregated outer portion. Snacks in the exterior zip pockets or where ever.

Headphones might be an issue depending on what you have (something like Bose/Senneheiser over-ear noise-cancelling phones take up a lot of space), and the TS isnít a bag that I would feel 100% comfortable with flashing in a boardroom.

You may want to find someone who has a TS so you can test pack before taking the leap. Itís definitely a different bag than most other TB bags; you have to intentionally pack it thin to make sure it works right. But once you get it dialed in itís a fantastic work-week travel bag.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that the Western Flyer and the Synapse 25 are almost the same capacity, but I find the Western Flyer's more open space to be more flexible than the Synapse when packing for a trip. The WF might work as a single bag for you, but it would depend on how much room your things take up. That sounds obvious, but what I mean is that it should work fine if you have a smaller laptop and your clothing packs up small, but wouldn't work if you have a monster-sized laptop and big shoes.

If you decide to use two bags, you might check out the Daylight Briefcase and the Pilot.

Let us know what you come up with!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I'm the guy who thinks that the Ego/Super Ego is the perfect bag for most everything.

Since you already have one, you can test back it easily. I use a large packing for clothing and that adds rigidity (although I've never found the Ego to be too floppy. With clothes in there, you probably don't need a brain cell to protect your laptop - the clothes will do that.

I've always had issues with shoes in any "non-duffel" bag, but if you use the packing cube, then you can put a shoe on either side. Cables and what not go under the flap
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Matt,
    I'm confused about your request. Clearly you would prefer a one bag solution.

You need to carry a laptop, notebook, headphones, snacks, toiletries, clothes for 3 days, running shoes, shorts and top.

You said the Synapse25 was too big for this? Did I misunderstand?

"With the Ego at 23L, it feels too big and cavernous"
    And the Ego is also too big?

"When you throw the Synapse at 25L and the Ego together"
    Please forgive my confusion, but if either bag by itself is too big, why would you bring both? Clearly I am missing something here.

Given my confusion, I may be way off the mark, but I'm going to suggest a few smaller bags anyway.

Will the Pilot or the Maker's Bag work? Will your computer fit in those bags?

The Western Flyer and the Synapse25 are very different to pack, but hold nearly the same number of liters.

Will your laptop fit in the Pilot or the Daylight Briefcase? Both of these bags will pack flat on the bottom of a larger bag or tucked at the back of a backpack. I fold the bag in half if necessary, making sure to unzip the zipper prior to folding. Then at your destination, you have a briefcase for work.

If your gear doesn't fit in the S25 or the Ego, I'd suggest the Aeronaut30. Tucking a Pilot or Daylight Briefcase flat at the bottom, then packing your clothes and other gear on top, I'm certain everything will fit.

If you need more space than that, the Aeronaut45 can do the job. Both Aeronauts allow for 3-d packing which is easier if you need to live out of the bag. To keep it organized, I use packing cubes.

I hope that this has been helpful. Good luck! elisa

Edited to correct formatting errors.
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 06-08-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, my apologies for the confusion 🙂

I am indeed after a ď1-bag solutionĒ. The Synapse isnít big enough for all that I need and want to take over 3-nights and 4-days. If I use my Ego and split the load across the two bags, Iím left carrying 1 x 23L (Ego), and 1x 25L bag, (Synapse).

The more I think this through, the more I feel a Pilot or a DLBC is the best (cheapest) option...compliment the Synapse 25?

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there such a thing as one bag?

Iíve been using a WF and a mini yeoman with good success I think. The shoes and gym gear would go nicely in there. And toiletries etc. leaves the clothes and laptop for the WF.

The WF isnít very ďbriefcasyĒ or professional when you get to your destination. If you wanted that vibe and your laptop could fit in a Pilot or co pilot then id definitely go for that with your WF instead of the yeoman,for the professional look and the organisation they provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LordAnubis; 06-08-2019 at 02:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think packing cubes are your answer, inside the Ego. They will give you structure and organization. Maybe a packing cube briefcase or the work stuff.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Aeronaut 30.

Forum Member
    Cincinnati, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm personally not a fan of the Tri-Star or Western Flyer. I had the TS and sold it. I found things too tight, especially once my size 13 shoes were packed.

I think the solution is either one of the Aeronauts, or the Brain Bag (surprised no one has mentioned it yet). Either would require a small messenger bag insert to carry your work gear back and forth from your hotel to the office. I personally use a Think Tank My 2nd Brain as an "insert" to my Brain Bag. I can pack several days of work clothes in the BB and all my work gear goes into the My 2nd Brain which I take back and forth from the hotel to the office.
    Jason
    Aeronaut 45 | Brain Bag | Medium Cafe Bag | Various odds and ends

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    Get the Aeronaut 30.
    Hey @Bogiesan, it would be more useful if you explained why you think @matt77 should get the Aeronaut 30 instead of just telling them to do it. What is it about the A30 that you think is particularly useful for their needs?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there - whats a Think Tank? Is this a discontinued product? I was also thinking the Medium Cafe Bag, or the Makers Bag but then they start to get close to the existing Ego. I'm trying to make use of the Synapse 25 i.e. rather than sell it at a loss locally here in NZ, is there a small ish bag that I can use that will take a 13" laptop and a few work things.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
    Hey there - whats a Think Tank? Is this a discontinued product? I was also thinking the Medium Cafe Bag, or the Makers Bag but then they start to get close to the existing Ego. I'm trying to make use of the Synapse 25 i.e. rather than sell it at a loss locally here in NZ, is there a small ish bag that I can use that will take a 13" laptop and a few work things.
    ThinkTank Photo.
    They make some great bags too and I also use one of their 2nd Brain for my 17" Mac for just the reason outlined above a lot.
    Worth looking at as there is no real Bihn equivalent anymore and the naming is rather ironic here too!

Actually mine is the Artificial Intelligence which was the forerunner to the 2nd Brain but similar in concept.
    Last edited by AVService; 06-08-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thank you. Thats exactly what i'm wanting in as a 2nd bag, if I can't find one bag for all. I've looked at the Medium Cafe and Makers bag, great bags but buying and then shipping to New Zealand doubles the cost, ultimately in my view makes it ludicrous from a money perspective. I will keep looking :-(

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few others of us in New Zealand. One possibility is combining orders to reduce the shipping cost.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...hlight=zealand
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast