Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they change the material of their standard shoulder strap?

Hey everybody! It's been awhile since I've been on here as I have been enjoying my TB bags over the last several years without issue, so I'm sure I've missed some things. Anyway, I recently ordered a replacement Standard Shoulder Strap, only to find out that the material has changed! It's no longer the usual sorta-coarse/rigid nylon webbing my previous bags had. Instead it's this smooth seatbelt-like material! To be honest, I'm not completely sure I like the new material. It feels very different and it kind of clashes with the other straps on my bags because the new material has a bit of a sheen to it. That being said, it's still a quality product, but aesthetically, it wasn't what I was expecting (especially since it's kind of hard to tell based off the photos on the website, but the stock photos displayed seem to show the old webbing still).

Have they been changing out the strap material for awhile now or is this something new?

I plan on contacting customer service sometime soon to double check, but does anyone know if it's still possible to get the straps with the old webbing material instead? Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @daaarn,

Customer support can probably tell you when the strap material changed, but they started introducing the new fabric with the Cafe bags that were made in 525d Ballistic Nylon in their Summer 2017 debuts, then also used this on the 5/8” wide Travel Cubelet straps. It didn’t hit the Side Kick until their end of June 2018 redesign of the attachment points on that accessory and the Daylight Briefcase, etc., so that might have been when it changed (or it could have been earlier).

Since most of my TB bags are bought early in production cycles, and they don’t wear out, I typically only piece this information together from what I read on the forums.
    Did they change the material of their standard shoulder strap?-cd785469-18fc-4f5e-b2a3-4e6408a32075-jpeg

This is a picture from a Ravelry post in July 2017, where I answered questions about the stiffness of the Cafe Bag strap by showing the new strap (furthest to the left// the one you described as seatbelt-like — vs earlier harder and softer webbing straps. The standard strap you refer to uses the straight webbing )without the “hills and valleys “ pattern of the soft webbing strap.

My guess would be that they switched late Spring of this year, but people buying Pilots, Maker’s Bags, etc. Could tell you more accurately.

HTH

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daaarn View Post
    Hey everybody! It's been awhile since I've been on here as I have been enjoying my TB bags over the last several years without issue, so I'm sure I've missed some things. Anyway, I recently ordered a replacement Standard Shoulder Strap, only to find out that the material has changed! It's no longer the usual sorta-coarse/rigid nylon webbing my previous bags had. Instead it's this smooth seatbelt-like material! To be honest, I'm not completely sure I like the new material. It feels very different and it kind of clashes with the other straps on my bags because the new material has a bit of a sheen to it. That being said, it's still a quality product, but aesthetically, it wasn't what I was expecting (especially since it's kind of hard to tell based off the photos on the website, but the stock photos displayed seem to show the old webbing still).

Have they been changing out the strap material for awhile now or is this something new?

I plan on contacting customer service sometime soon to double check, but does anyone know if it's still possible to get the straps with the old webbing material instead? Thanks!
    Yes: I found a Standard Shoulder Strap made with the previous webbing material and I've put it aside for you. emailus@tombihn.com and make sure to note "Darcy has the Standard Strap".

Thanks to @moriond for the background and history. Just some additional notes on our reasoning behind the switch -- the new smoother webbing is more comfortable on bare skin for those of us who wear tank tops and the like in warm weather. FWIW it Taber-tests as good as our previous webbing (in excess of 2,000 cycles before we see any wear). Maybe also worth noting as well that the new webbing is 100% nylon, which in our experience is more durable than other common synthetic materials or blends of materials.

The switch did give us pause because we knew some folks would prefer the original webbing. Your feedback on that point is noted!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came across this exact issue when I had to get my Absolute strap replaced for my SuperEgo. I noticed immediately that as the day went on with the new strap my SuperEgo would get looser and looser and looser. I would tighten up the straps but it would still droop further down, again getting looser and looser and looser. It was confusing because this never happened with the original strap. I did a quick check and I noticed the webbing on the new strap was significantly less thick and sturdy. I spoke to Mike and we came up with a workaround that I hope will help the SuperEgo stay when I tighten it. I really haven't tried it yet because I've been using other bags since then. And Mike echoed what Darcy said: folks found the old webbing abrasive.

I didn't have that issue though and i definitely preferred the old webbing.

Darcy: Is there any chance you have an Absolute Strap in the previous webbing material?
    Last edited by jmachats; 12-11-2018 at 01:10 PM.

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmachats View Post
    I just came across this exact issue when I had to get my Absolute strap replaced for my SuperEgo. I noticed immediately that as the day went on with the new strap my SuperEgo would get looser and looser and looser. I would tighten up the straps but it would still droop further down, again getting looser and looser and looser. It was confusing because this never happened with the original strap. I did a quick check and I noticed the webbing on the new strap was significantly less thick and sturdy. I spoke to Mike and we came up with a workaround that I hope will help the SuperEgo stay when I tighten it. I really haven't tried it yet because I've been using other bags since then. And Mike echoed what Darcy said: folks found the old webbing abrasive.

I didn't have that issue though and i definitely preferred the old webbing.

Darcy: Is there any chance you have an Absolute Strap in the previous webbing material?
    Ahhh. Do you have a Super Ego with the "toothed slide" shoulder strap attachment method (as opposed to a d-ring to which a snaphook clips on?)

The Absolute Shoulder Strap does not feature the new, smoother webbing that is now used with the Standard Shoulder Strap. That said, we have changed the webbing used with the Absolute Shoulder Strap a couple of times over the years. If/when we find what we deem to be a better quality webbing or one that more meets the needs of people who use our bags, we're apt to switch to it. And when we stopped making bags with toothed slide shoulder strap attachment points, one of our criteria for webbing -- making sure it worked well with those toothed slides -- fell away.

I was just going to type "Yes, I bet we can find an older Absolute Strap here somewhere..." and then I was like, I'll actually just get up and go find one, and I did! emailus@tombihn.com again and we'll work the rest out from there.

We also still have some of the adapters that you could use to basically hack your Super Ego and turn it into a bag with d-rings.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ahhh. Do you have a Super Ego with the "toothed slide" shoulder strap attachment method (as opposed to a d-ring to which a snaphook clips on?)

The Absolute Shoulder Strap does not feature the new, smoother webbing that is now used with the Standard Shoulder Strap. That said, we have changed the webbing used with the Absolute Shoulder Strap a couple of times over the years. If/when we find what we deem to be a better quality webbing or one that more meets the needs of people who use our bags, we're apt to switch to it. And when we stopped making bags with toothed slide shoulder strap attachment points, one of our criteria for webbing -- making sure it worked well with those toothed slides -- fell away.

I was just going to type "Yes, I bet we can find an older Absolute Strap here somewhere..." and then I was like, I'll actually just get up and go find one, and I did! emailus@tombihn.com again and we'll work the rest out from there.

We also still have some of the adapters that you could use to basically hack your Super Ego and turn it into a bag with d-rings.
    I got my Super Ego in 2009 (It was my first TB Bag! Well it was the bag that brought me to TB but not the only bag in my first order) and it's the "toothed slide" shoulder strap attachment

I'm not familiar with the webbing on the Standard Shoulder Strap. I've always "Absoluted" my bags - including my Co-Pilot.

But when I checked my other bags that came with an Absolute (Imago, ID, Empire Builder, Co-Pilot) they all have the thicker webbing (the Co-Pilot and Empire Builder have snaphooks and D-Rings)

Will email you! Thanks! I'm curious to see how I can hack it and add D-rings

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are these the old style Cheater D-Rings? You do realize we've had other forum members write in to ask about these over the last three years, and they've uniformly been told that none remain.

moriond

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Are these the old style Cheater D-Rings? You do realize we've had other forum members write in to ask about these over the last three years, and they've uniformly been told that none remain.
    They are! I asked around here a bit and, honestly, we're all rather confused about this. Part of that might be because overall it's pretty rare we get requests for these. The good news is that we do have some right now. If anyone would like to order a pair, emailus@tombihn.com

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are! I asked around here a bit and, honestly, we're all rather confused about this. Part of that might be because overall it's pretty rare we get requests for these. The good news is that we do have some right now. If anyone would like to order a pair, emailus@tombihn.com
    @Darcy,

Here's an example of someone (@cjr) who has brought up this query multiple times in the forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr View Post
    Hi!

The ID bag I bought about 10 years ago is going strong, and frankly looks as good as new. It is on its 3rd MacBook Pro!

Unfortunately, I'm 10 years older and the fat spongy strap that came with it is starting to be uncomfortable for me I'm wondering if the Absolute Shoulder Strap would be better?

Is there a way to retrofit one to my ID? My ID's shoulder strap is attached by oblong clasps, maybe 2 inches wide.

Thanks,

Chris
    Some other people have been able to buy new ID bags when their straps gave out. Do you have this in both the 1.5" and 2" size webbing?

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes: I found a Standard Shoulder Strap made with the previous webbing material and I've put it aside for you. emailus@tombihn.com and make sure to note "Darcy has the Standard Strap".

Thanks to @moriond for the background and history. Just some additional notes on our reasoning behind the switch -- the new smoother webbing is more comfortable on bare skin for those of us who wear tank tops and the like in warm weather. FWIW it Taber-tests as good as our previous webbing (in excess of 2,000 cycles before we see any wear). Maybe also worth noting as well that the new webbing is 100% nylon, which in our experience is more durable than other common synthetic materials or blends of materials.

The switch did give us pause because we knew some folks would prefer the original webbing. Your feedback on that point is noted!
    Does anyone know if the new seatbelt material strap will eventually "crease" around the clip attachment loop? I feel like it kind of billows out too much, and doesn't lay flat against itself (especially in the looped area) b/c it's not rigid enough.

That being said, thank you so much Darcy! I'm still undecided about exchanging the strap because I can see some of the advantages you mentioned, especially the comfort. You wouldn't happen to have any of the Simple Strap in the old webbing, would you? I tend to cinch the strap so it's closer to my body and unfortunately when I do that with the Standard Strap, the foam shoulder pad basically just gets displaced due to that little plastic adjuster square in the middle.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Edited to say I emailed directly, and this should work. Yay!]

Would this adapter/cheater D-ring work for my Large Cafe Bag from early 2016(?), just before the switch to having a clip to attach the strap? I originally bought it with the Q-AM strap (which didn't work well for me). I tried to do a DIY add on to attach a absolute strap with clips, but ended up having to take the clips off. I'd love to put the clips back on and have some swivel ability if I could/easily switch between bags when travelling.
    Last edited by Lizpdx; 12-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Darcy,

Here's an example of someone (@cjr) who has brought up this query multiple times in the forums:

Some other people have been able to buy new ID bags when their straps gave out. Do you have this in both the 1.5" and 2" size webbing?
    I’m sorry we inconvenienced some folks on this point…. we certainly want to keep bags in service for as long as possible.

It looks like we only have the 1.5”. We no longer have the parts to make the 2”.

Quote Originally Posted by daaarn View Post
    Does anyone know if the new seatbelt material strap will eventually "crease" around the clip attachment loop? I feel like it kind of billows out too much, and doesn't lay flat against itself (especially in the looped area) b/c it's not rigid enough.

That being said, thank you so much Darcy! I'm still undecided about exchanging the strap because I can see some of the advantages you mentioned, especially the comfort. You wouldn't happen to have any of the Simple Strap in the old webbing, would you? I tend to cinch the strap so it's closer to my body and unfortunately when I do that with the Standard Strap, the foam shoulder pad basically just gets displaced due to that little plastic adjuster square in the middle.
    I bet we do have a Simple Strap in the old webbing. Would you mind sending a note to emailus@tombihn.com to ask? Our customer service crew are in the best spot to take a look.

We haven’t really experienced the billowing effect on our straps or heard that from other folks, but we’ll take another look at the straps we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizpdx View Post
    [Edited to say I emailed directly, and this should work. Yay!]

Would this adapter/cheater D-ring work for my Large Cafe Bag from early 2016(?), just before the switch to having a clip to attach the strap? I originally bought it with the Q-AM strap (which didn't work well for me). I tried to do a DIY add on to attach a absolute strap with clips, but ended up having to take the clips off. I'd love to put the clips back on and have some swivel ability if I could/easily switch between bags when travelling.
    Yay! I’m glad you emailed us and that it’ll work for you.