Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Pocket sizes on Western Flyer

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying this bag and was hoping someone could measure and/or take pictures of the dimensions of the Western Flyer front two pockets (not the water bottle one). I am really trying to get a sense of how big these are and what can fit in them. If anyone can comment on the depth of them that would be great too because they seem like they might get very hard to use of the bag is packed like the front pocket on the GR1.

Would a 9.7" iPad or 10.5" iPad Pro fit in the top pocket?

Also does anyone have any good suggestions for organizers for these pockets?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been surprised how easy it actually is for me to use those pockets--I too thought they'd be basically unusable once the bag was full, but that hasn't been the case for me. Perhaps it helps that I tend to put my lumpiest stuff in the section immediately behind the pocket, so the pockets aren't squished entirely flat by the contents of the section behind the pocket. I don't have my WF handy to measure, but the "top" pocket does go the full height of the bag so an iPad should fit easily. I've put a hardcover book in there before, though I don't remember what book it was. :-)

When I'm packing my Western Flyer I frequently put a large and a small Travel Tray in the lower front pocket (the trays are nested inside each other and then squashed to about 1" high, then I squash them the other direction so they make an oval instead of a circle, so they fit within the height of that shorter pocket).

The other factor that might make a difference in how easy or how hard it is to use those front pockets is that my Western Flyer is Halcyon, not the stiffer 1050 Ballistic. Maybe someone with a Ballistic WF will chime in about how usable their WF's front pockets are.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the only thing that lets the WF down for me. The front pockets. Iíve made several gripes on here about them. To me the perfect bag would be a WF with a Pilot front pocket system. It shits me to tears that my 27oz klean kanteen fits in my s19, pilot and even my copilot. But does it fit in the WF? No. Iím considering getting rid of my navy pilot and getting a brain bag for the front more useful organisation section.

Hereís a photo of the front of the WF. I can only show you a 3DOC for size comparison. Thereís about 2cm of space left width wise.

The bottom pocket goes from the bottom piping up to the top zip. My hand is spread across the bottom of the section to the top. So basically there is a ďflapĒ that you can put some stuff under but I never do.

The top pocket goes from the bottom piping to the top piping. My hands canít quite reach to span the entire length.

Shitty photo but this is what I normally have in the bottom pocket. Travel sunscreen, sanitizer in a pocket pouch, pack of gum. Normally keep my public transport card in there too. You can see Iím pulling the top flap back to try and capture the whole inside.

Hereís what I normally have in the big pocket. Not much. Battery charger. Normally have an inflatable travel neck pillow and mini organiser pouch with ear phones in them in this pocket.

Hereís what it looks like putting the 3DOC in the bottom pocket.

And then hereís what the top pocket looks like with a normally full 3DOC in the bottom pocket. Not much more space to anything in thatís not flat.

And then hereís what it looks like bulging into the main middle compartment.

Hereís a normal ipad in a folio sleeve thing. With the sleeve on it does not fit into the top pocket. But without the sleeve the ipad JUST fits in. Itís a squeeze. I donít know exactly which one this is. But itís an ipad from 2013 I think.

If the main compartment was full then yes, I find the front pockets are practically useless for anything thatís not flat. As I said the front section is my biggest gripe with this bag.

In terms of organisation for the pockets. Thatís another problem I find. It doesnít have anything great. Iíd loooove for them to have two small pocket in there. The biggest problem I think is that thereís one o ring only. On the bottle pocket side. If they had two prints on either side it would be ok to clip two small organiser pouches on either side then theyíd stay in those areas. But no I have not found any decent organisers for these front pockets.

As above, maybe a halcyon one has more play in it. But my ballistic one is quite rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LordAnubis; 12-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both. This was very helpful. Iíve been trying to figure out what to use for organization in those pockets that is thin and flat. Struggling to come up with good answers.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the small cafe bag Freudian slip fit in the larger pocket?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not like the front pockets on the WF or the TS. They are perfectly flat and lay right on top of each other. No depth, no gussets. And the water bottle pocket is not practical, for me.

I also wish for a WF with a Pilot front.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the dimensions of the 3DOC, I think this would work in small:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/p...cts/gear-pouch

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am about to take a 6-day work trip to Florida using my husband's navy ballistic Western Flyer. It's my first time to use this bag, and I have to say, I'm dang impressed with how much it fits, and how easily!

Normally for this yearly convention, I bring my Aeronaut 30 for clothes/personal stuff, and something like the Copilot (or last year, the Pop Tote) for my electronics and plane stuff. But I've somehow managed to get everything I need, including my computer and extra pair of shoes, into the WF. And it's all so accessible, thanks to that Copilot-like divided section! My Surface Pro in a padded sleeve fits upright in one of the divided pockets (perfectly, as though it were made for it), with a Side Kick in front of it full of chargers, notebooks, and work/personal stuff. The other divided pocket has a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag full of plane stuff (snacks, toiletries, Vapur water bottle).

In that big single WF packing cube, I've got my Rothy's shoes, 6 days worth of clothes, workout clothes, an extra empty Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (for carrying convention supplies), an extra aether packing cube (for dirty clothes), and a Sea to Summit sling bag (2 oz, packs super tiny, holds 16 liters), to use as an overflow bag if I need it on the way home. Luckily, for conventions we wear our uniform T-shirts and black soft shell pants that pack super small. (Also, I can get by with just 2 pairs of soft shell black pants for the whole trip.)

It all feels even more efficient, spacious and accessible than my beloved Aeronaut 30, despite its 4-liter smaller capacity. I even tried moving everything from the Western Flyer to the Aeronaut 30, just to see what made it feel so different. I think the big, capacious single huge packing cube in the main compartment makes it pack very easily, whereas I do more of a tetris packing job with the Aeronaut, using a variety of cubes I have in different sizes. Also, even though I could theoretically put my computer in the Aeronaut/s main compartment, I wouldn't because it doesn't feel as protected, so I always end up carrying a 2nd bag for electronics. But the WF has the ideal place for a computer in the divided pocket, keeping it protected yet accessible.

As for those front pockets, I've been struggling a bit with them too. It does seem like only flat things really belong there. At first, I considered bringing a stainless water bottle like I often do, but I don't really like how the water bottle pocket bulges with the water bottle in it. (Copilot's and Synapse's gussetted pockets for carrying a bulky water bottle are ideal.) A water bottle does fit very well in one of the divided pockets, but in the end, I figured my flat-packing Vapur bottle would do just as well and take less room. I decided to use the outside water bottle pocket as a quick-access pocket for phone and ghost whale pouch with Anker charger and cables. It's convenient how you can just drop stuff in, and that little extra pocket keeps it contained. (I do wish for an o-ring in that pocket though.)

As of this moment, I don't have anything in the other two flat outer pockets, because I currently have no real need for them. Anything I need to really get to quickly is in my Side Kick. (In fact, the Anker charger and phone could easily go there.) So I'm thinking of those outer 3 pockets as just "bonus" pockets. Similarly, I don't use the side zipped pockets on my Aeronaut for anything much, except to store rarely-used things like a sewing kit and some washi tape, as they are often hard to get into when the bag is packed full.

If I didn't have the WF packed to capacity, I'd probably use those outer pockets. I may end up using them on this trip for the little slips of paper I have to keep, but don't need to access (receipts, business cards, flyers from the show, etc.).

I haven't used the WF to comment on what I might change about this bag, but for right now, it's seeming really ideal as a convention bag. After I leave the packing cube behind at the hotel, it'll be the one I bring with me to the convention hall every day to tote my electronics and convention supplies. It's small yet spacious, professional looking, yet as comfortable as any backpack. Love it so far!

ETA: I took out the large packing cube full of clothes and took this bag to the office today to use as my work bag. Loads of room. I threw some wet wipes and hand sanitizer in that lower pocket,and wallet and keys in the top pocket.

Last edited by Amy; 01-07-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I do not like the front pockets on the WF or the TS. They are perfectly flat and lay right on top of each other. No depth, no gussets. And the water bottle pocket is not practical, for me.
    I use the front pockets on my TS to store my keys, as well as to toss receipts when I travel for business and need to track expenses.

And the water bottle pocket is a handy place for me to store the Absolute Strap when I wear the TS in backpack mode (its killer feature).

Forum Member
    London
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my Western Flyer for business trips. It's been getting a hammering with a couple overnight overseas trips a week recently. And it's working great for me on the whole. But I agree with the OP - the front pockets are tricky to use effectively, and the bag lacks a little organisation. I don't need a lot of organisation, but just a bit for some pens etc.

So for me, passport in the smaller front pocket. Couple of phones (!) in the larger of the front pockets, wallet and pouch for expenses receipts. All flat-pack, quick draw stuff needed when travelling.

On the organisation front, I've resorted to an old dyneema Side Effect for pens and other small items, as well as Kindle and charging cables.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Passagare View Post
    I use the front pockets on my TS to store my keys, as well as to toss receipts when I travel for business and need to track expenses.

And the water bottle pocket is a handy place for me to store the Absolute Strap when I wear the TS in backpack mode (its killer feature).
    My keys are so bulky, that they don't fit well in the front pockets. I have 3 keys and a fob, so it's not like I'm a jailer with a huge wad of keys. I have my house key, my mailbox key, my car key (which is bulky) and the car key fob (also bulky). Do you have some magic key holder that mushes your keys flat?

And thanks for the comment about using the water bottle pocket for the Absolute Shoulder Strap. That makes sense.