Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit as EDC - - without babies or toddlers?

Does anyone here WITHOUT babies/toddlers use the Parental Unit as their EDC?

I only just clicked on it and it really is impressive! After my first reaction ("damn! Why didn't I know about this when my babies were small????"), it occurred to me that it could be equally awesome as an EDC in the absence of babies/toddlers.

How do you make use of all the awesome pockets?
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Does anyone here WITHOUT babies/toddlers use the Parental Unit as their EDC?

I only just clicked on it and it really is impressive! After my first reaction ("damn! Why didn't I know about this when my babies were small????"), it occurred to me that it could be equally awesome as an EDC in the absence of babies/toddlers.

How do you make use of all the awesome pockets?
    Yes, a very useful bag for many different occasions. There is a helpful review on youtube by pieonthetrail in which it is used for non-parental carrying!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it! Very helpful, thank you!

https://youtu.be/0AcrgsRaxmE
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And his detailed written review, as well:

https://pieonthetrail.com/2018/03/29...l-unit-review/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, now I can't decide if I want a co-pilot or a parental unit...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES! I actually tried the copilot and it just did not work for me, the layout was too boxy and I needed more space, but not as much as a Pilot. When i saw the video mentioned above, I bought one, and I have to say, it is a VERY useful bag! I love that it has so many organizing pockets that you can look down into when you zip open the different sections. You would not even need packing cubes for it, because it serves as it's own packing cube, with all of the sections. I do not use it as a diaper bag, my kids are grown and flown, I use it mostly as an overnight bag. Each section holds an outfit and I put my Sidekick in the middle section. I am planning on trying it out as an EDC to replace my Pop Tote, we'll see which one wins out!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found another thread here on the uses of the parental unit!

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ntal-unit.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Izzy, as far as I see it the Parental Unit is a fantastic bag for a certain type of carry. If you like a lot of compartments and you carry things that are relatively slim and small, it is great. There are up to 12 pockets on the PU, depending on if you use the zippered divider or not.

The Side pockets are ideal for Cubelets, 3DOCs, and Travel Cubelets (TC only in the center of each side pocket). The main pocket is great for Size 2 Travel Stuff sacks, which have an oblong base, or anything else 2-3 inches in diameter.

The bag is quite tall but the extra headroom in it is to allow it to open wide and let you see the pockets well. It isn't a Mary Poppins bag nor a Tardis bag. You've got to pack it a bit slim to avoid straining the zippers.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cristina, that's exactly what I like about the Parental Unit! I've been using my Sidekick as my EDC, and it's a bit on the stuffed side. I have a Synapse 25, which I love for airline travel but is WAY too big for EDC, and a medium cafe bag, which is TOO open and unstructured. Neither of those work for me for EDC.

But I like the look of the Co-Pilot, too, and the water bottle bucket...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    @Cristina, that's exactly what I like about the Parental Unit! I've been using my Sidekick as my EDC, and it's a bit on the stuffed side. I have a Synapse 25, which I love for airline travel but is WAY too big for EDC, and a medium cafe bag, which is TOO open and unstructured. Neither of those work for me for EDC.

But I like the look of the Co-Pilot, too, and the water bottle bucket...
    I also bounced back and forth between a Side Kick and an S25 (and sometimes both with the SK in the bottom pocket). I often wanted just the front part of the S25, and that's basically what the PU is! I am sure you'll love it.

Here is a post of mine with lots of photos of different stuff inside the PU. Granted, I have little kids, but since I use stuff sacks and 3DOCs and Cubelets, etc, you can still imagine non-kid stuff in there, like adult size packable jackets and a Contigo Autoseal. The only major change to my carry is that I use a Travel Cubelet right now instead of my Side Effect. Because of the vertical orientation I can reach in and get my wallet or keys from the TC easily; I had to take the SE out and turn it sideways to do that. I prefer the horizontal orientation so I'm keeping my SEs, but as a bag-in-bag this works better for me.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ve-photos.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRISTINA, THAT IS AWESOME