Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What TB bag can I use for a Gym Bag? Considering Aeronaut..?

Hello all.

Absolutely LOVE my Synapse 25. One of my favorite items that I own. So perfectly made. I use it daily as my work bag.

But, I have a simple/cheap Under Armour duffel bag that I use as my gym bag, and I want to replace it with something TB.

Stuff I've looked at...
    --Aeronaut 30 - Obviously this would be expensive for a gym bag. But, I could have it double as a single bag travel at times as well. I currently use an Osprey Farpoint 40 for that, and am thinking I would like the Aeronaut design better.. But, could I use it as an every day (or 3-4 days a week) gym bag?
    --Yeoman Duffel - This would obviously work, but I don't love how it doesn't have any pockets. I like to separate my dirty laundry in its own pocket. I know I could get packing cubes for that, but seems a little much just a workout bag
    --Road Buddy 36 - Bigger than the Aeronaut which I already worried was maybe bigger than necessary.
    --Large Zip Shop Bag or Zip Pop Tote - Can a guy carry these into the gym? Seems more like a woman's bag to me?

Any thoughts on other bags I should consider - what you do for a gym bag, or if I'm crazy to be lusting after the Aeronaut 30 for this purpose (as well as travel).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    or if I'm crazy to be lusting after the Aeronaut 30 for this purpose (as well as travel).
    You're crazy, but don't let that stop you! (bunch of enablers here)

I all seriousness... any of those would work, but the A30 and RB36 seem awfully large unless you're carrying a lot of gear... I personally use the Pop Tote and have also used the original large shop bag.

The mini and small Yeoman seem the most obvious choice for size/value... personally I use Eagle Creek cubes to pack my dirty clothes in because I don't want to have to clean the larger bag as frequently - I'd rather toss the EC cubes into the laundry once a week...

let us know what you pick!
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Zip Large Shop Bag for swimming, because it is big enough to hold my clothes and things while I am in the pool (it is around 27L), but when I am dressed and it is just holding the swimming stuff, it's very light and small. It could easily hold a pair of gym shoes as well. Also, I'm seconding the idea of using a packing cube or other laundry bag. Keep the smells and dampness out of your beautiful TB bag!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what you bring to the gym. I use a Medium Road Duffel (precursor to the Road Buddy 36) as a gym bag, but I have a lot of gear (two yoga blocks, assorted rock climbing gear, two 20oz bottles, yoga mat strapped to the outside). It fits everything handily and the pockets (which I find to be a much more useful size and construction than the Aeronaut pockets) add a perfect amount of organization and structure. If I take out the yoga blocks, the center compartment is almost empty and the bag gets a bit floppy, but as I'm mainly hauling it from my car to the gym, that hasn't bothered me.

Prior to getting the Road Duffel, I used two Large Shop Bags (yoga stuff in one, climbing stuff in another), which also worked great - the pockets are significantly smaller, but were still useful in separating smaller items.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts! A couple questions/comments:

1. Regarding the large shop bag or pop tote - Those of you above who have recommended those, could you see a 37 year old grown man walk into the gym with one? My worry with those is that they are to feminine. I like how they have a couple little pockets though..
    2. As far as the Yeoman, it looks like the mini would be to small for me, but the small is 28L vs the Aeronaut at 30, so size wise they are similar. The Road 36 seems clearly to large.
    3. I carry shoes, workout clothes, towel. Or, if I go in workout clothes I carry my day clothes, work shoes, towel. Every now and then a little more if I’m running outside and need more stuff.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d go for the A30. Sounds like you’d like the ability to use it as a travel bag also, so go for it.

I actually use my co-pilot which carries my water bottle, towel, headphones, but no shoes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using a small Yeoman but like you I didn't like the lack of pockets. I just switched to using a Truck and it's perfect. The separate compartment help to keep things organized and the front and back pockets are handy for small things like my iPod. And since it's a little shorter in length than the Yeoman it fits perfectly into the lockers at my gym. I had to cram the Yeoman into the lockers.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts! A couple questions/comments:

1. Regarding the large shop bag or pop tote - Those of you above who have recommended those, could you see a 37 year old grown man walk into the gym with one? My worry with those is that they are to feminine. I like how they have a couple little pockets though..
    2. As far as the Yeoman, it looks like the mini would be to small for me, but the small is 28L vs the Aeronaut at 30, so size wise they are similar. The Road 36 seems clearly to large.
    3. I carry shoes, workout clothes, towel. Or, if I go in workout clothes I carry my day clothes, work shoes, towel. Every now and then a little more if I’m running outside and need more stuff.
    The zip shop bags seem pretty gender neutral to me, and Black or NWSky are pretty neutral colours.... and as several folks mentioned, they are unstructured so they expand/collapse to fit what you carry, so that is useful.
    The Pop Tote is a straight up tote...if you never carry one now, maybe you'd find it odd...? Have you ever carried a schwag bag at a convention or anything? Same idea... more structure/less space than the large zip shop bag.

My belief is that if you're comfortable carrying something, generally no one notices or cares... if you're self conscious, people will notice that and wonder why... so it's really what you feel comfy with, regardless of what any of us think...

So to avoid the pop psych, if you are in the US and can swing it, the standard advice is to buy the different bags and test pack them at home....figure out what suits you and return the rest. Be sure to read the FAQ about how to ensure you follow the rules to allow a return... I think if you can see the A30, RB, PT, and ZTLSB in person, you'd see how very different they are... and there's a pretty hefty difference in both size and cost
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guy and I tried the Yeoman (small) for a couple of months at my gym. But like you mentioned, it became an issue when there were no pockets on the outside and I needed to readily access things like my membership card/keys/etc.

If I had to pick from all the choices you mentioned, I would have selected the Road Buddy 36 for the gym. (I don't have one, so I can't speak to its actual use, but it resembles some of the functionality I've come to appreciate with gym bags - like the end compartments with zippered pockets).

I think you could pull off a black Pop Tote (I have one) with its outside pockets if that's what you really want for the gym. I also think what kind of bag you bring to a gym, and how comfortable you feel with it, could also depend on the type of gym culture that's there - laid back vs "high fitness fanatics", younger vs older clientele, etc.

I ended up going with another brand (BUT just for my gym bag) after trying to make TB work for this.

ETA: Maybe check out The Truck.
    Last edited by imagineez; 12-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --Large Zip Shop Bag or Zip Pop Tote - Can a guy carry these into the gym? Seems more like a woman's bag to me?
    It's not as manly as a vintage vietnam-era army rucksack, but I found that having a bag that properly fits the task is a better gauge of masculinity. ymmv.
    Any thoughts on other bags I should consider - what you do for a gym bag, or if I'm crazy to be lusting after the Aeronaut 30 for this purpose (as well as travel).
    As G42 mentioned, I think an A30 would be a very large gym bag, but maybe you have lots of stuff to carry?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd go with a large zip top shop bag. Pick one of the more "manly" colors that appeals to you. It's one of the more versatile bags and also one of the more budget friendly.
    I think weather it looks like a "ladies bag" or not depends on how you carry it. Unless you're carrying it in on your elbow like a granny, you won't look like a you're carrying a ladies bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unfortunately with the OP on the large zip top shop bag being too feminine for this purpose even in black. I think it's fine for many other purposes (including for the pool) and carry mine frequently. But it's just not a gym bag.

Meanwhile, the Aeronaut feels too nice to be a gym bag and doesn't have the set it down and reach in functionality of a regular gym bag where the zipper is opposite from the bottom. The Aeronaut (and here's the charm) gets laid down then flat and opens up like a drawer...which isn't necessarily what I'm used to in a gym bag.

That said, I haven't really needed organization in my gym bag. So the small Yeoman is probably the best choice (not that I own one...but my Goruck Kit Bag is basically the same concept: big cavern to throw stuff into). Tether something to the inside or use cubes if you need some more organization for small items like keys, cards etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the truck. I use it for a million things, the gym being one of them. The only downside is that it doesn't close, but this is not an issue for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a gym guy, I tried many TB bags. For things I carry to gym the Synapse 25 is too big and I don't want my Synapse always carry these dirty clothes.

1. How many things you need for working out. The A30 and Road buddy 36 should be too big for me.

2. I tried the yeoman duffel, the problem is there is no pocket inside, you need to put other pouches inside which means other duffel can do this.

3. Pop tote has the same problem, you might mention there are extra pockets on each side. But the pocket doesn't like Synapse or Pilot, when you put bottle inside the big one, the small pocket would be hard to reach something.

So I am thinking having a zip shop bag black, it's ok for a man. The truck might be a good option as well but there is no zipper.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeoman + 2 laundry stuff sacks + 3DOC. But I'm far from a gym rat, so your mileage may vary...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast