Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S19 is fine for flying with, but definitely pack a cross-body bag as well. If you are walking around town, many museums will not let you in with any kind of backpack, and some have limits on the size of the cross-body bag as well. I'd go as small as you think you can comfortably carry all the things you need: Side Kick, Travel Cubelet, or Small Cafe Bag. (Or some other brand of travel purse that is about that size.) The first two can easily fit inside of your S19 when you travel, and will help you compartmentalize important things like your passport, etc. Even if I'm wearing a backpack, I like to keep the most valuable items in a smaller bag inside so that if I am asked to check it, I can quickly pull out the vital stuff to keep with me.

Think about the pickpocket issue when you are taking in the sights and your attention will be elsewhere. Keep your valuables in a less inaccessible place in whatever bag you are carrying, and use small NiteIze carabiners or something similar to secure the zippers, particularly for a backpack.

Sounds like a great trip! Most importantly, have fun!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This trip sounds amazing--I hope you have a wonderful time!!

I used to travel with a fully-stuffed A45 plus a 15L or so cross-body. The A45 at max capacity is HEAVY--like, really heavy. My suggestion would be to take both the A45 and S19 with your "practice" pack on a walk around the neighborhood--you may have done that already--to see if you really feel comfortable with the weight and size.

Everyone's different, but for the me the biggest sticking point in cutting back my packing has been, and likely always will be, shoes. I have way more than I need at home, too. It's complicated by the fact that I usually like to do a least a bit of light hiking on vacation, but I still want some "city shoes" that are cute. If you can keep it to one pair in your bag and one on your feet, you'll be doing great. Bonus: you may find some killer Italian shoes to buy!

If you haven't already, do some google searches on travel capsule wardrobes. There are some great resources, including complete packing lists with outfit examples and packing tips. Remember that if you're moving every 3 or 4 days, no one except your husband will know if you repeat outfits.

Packing cubes are a great way to organize and to some extent compress clothing. I don't think you need to get a specific brand--just head to any store with a travel department or Amazon, and you'll find a ton of options. IKEA even has some cool packing cubes and other organizers.

Solid toiletries are great, if you can find/use them. I'm a fan of Lush's solid shampoo and there are some good solid lotion bars out there. DHC makes face washing powder that I really like. Consider tooth powder instead of toothpaste. For liquids, I recommend that you track your usage for the amount of time you'll be gone, and then find smaller bottles so you can pack just as much as you need. It's surprising how little you may end up needing. Small bottles from a variety of sources and GoTubs are both staples of my toiletry kit. If you can get them, sample packets from your favorite brands are perfect for a couple to a few days, and then you can just toss when you switch hotels.

From my 50L+ carry several years ago, I'm down to my A30 as my only bag. My goal is to get to just my S25 next. The freedom of carrying less is hard to describe, but worth it in my opinion. No one goes from a huge checked bag to one-bagging it with an S19 overnight. Think of this trip (and every trip, really) as a learning experience for your packing style. Don't stress out too much, or push yourself too hard. Go with what makes you comfortable this time, accept that you'll make mistakes, and know that you'll make iterations on future travels.
    Last edited by kathryn; 01-14-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I used to travel with a fully-stuffed A45 plus a 15L or so cross-body. The A45 at max capacity is HEAVY--like, really heavy.
    Me, too. The A30, packed full, is as heavy as I'm comfortable carrying. I'd only use a 45L bag if I wanted to carry lightweight, bulky things like a pillow, an Irish wool sweater, and a teddy bear to photograph in unlikely locations (like my grandparents did).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel tips for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by happyhomemaker View Post
    Greetings! Travel tips for newbie

I'm a mom of 6, and while we travel often it's always loaded to the hilt in a suburban - not jet setting, only-what-you-can-carry type travel.
    This year I'm going on a dream trip with my husband; we'll be visiting Romania and Italy over 3 weeks and won't stay in any one place longer than 3 or 4 nights. We'll be traveling by plane, train and taxi so I want to be able to move easily and simply.
    I'm planning to take my A45 and S19 and not check any bags. The S19 just came today (and I love it!!!Travel tips for newbie) so I haven't figured out the best packing configuration yet, but I did a packing trial run this evening. Everything fits but it feels a little clunky.

So what are your favorite hacks and organizational tips - especially for carry on only flights?
    I have several packing cubes and stuff sacks, and am planning to take a MCB for EDC after arrival.

Also, I'm a knitter so any advice regarding flying and knitting is welcome and appreciated, too. Travel tips for newbie

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    What types of places will you be staying at? Will you be washing clothes? If so, what's your setup for that? (I use a waterproof bag that clips shut and wow it is so much easier than normal sink washing)

I really think it would be worth it to do A45 with day bag packed inside instead of the S19. You'll be moving around a lot and it sounds cumbersome.

We would all love to help with your packing list I am sure! :-)

Edited to add: I also have a knitting suggestion. On airplanes I have a really hard time concentrating so I could only ever hope to do something really plain where I do not have to keep track of rows or stitches. Are you in the TB Ravelry group? I would ask there for suggestions on plane knitting, I am sure you'll get lots of help!
    Last edited by Cristina; 01-14-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best travel tip from my own journeys is pack as few what-if items as possible. You won't need it, and if you really do, you can (most likely) buy it.

This is doubly so for pharmacy items (I like to carry two of each, like antacids, aspirin, anti-histamine, anti-diarrheal, and plan to restock locally), but can also be for clothes as well. Carrying the bare minimum of clothes means you have a great excuse to bring some useful mementos home, like a scarf or new sweater. Local thrift stores can be a lot of fun to peruse for surprise needs as well.

As others have alluded to, reducing your "clean clothes" budget can lighten up your luggage a lot, as well. I always plan to do laundry if a trip is more than 4 days long. I travel with 3 outfits maximum and unless I am traveling with adventure gear (or board games!), can make the Synapse 19 my only bag.

I think that the S19 also makes a great day pack, so if you have some packing cubes and organizers, you can leave your overnight items at the hotel or hostel and just head out with your same personal item bag. No need for a separate day pack! (Although the Daylight Backpack is a great day pack.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    My best travel tip from my own journeys is pack as few what-if items as possible. You won't need it, and if you really do, you can (most likely) buy it.
    I agree, but with a caveat: make your criterion be "if I need this, will I need it RIGHT THEN THAT MOMENT and/or would needing it stop me from getting it?" For me, that means I take a couple of band-aids and a couple of ibuprofen packets (because if I needed them I would want them right then that moment) and a digestive remedy (because if one is stuck to the toilet one can't go out to buy something to take care of that). On the other hand, I would not pack tissues because that's something I could easily go out and buy if I needed it. Your choices may be different from mine, but I've found that to be a useful way of looking at it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get three outfits into an S19???? I could see an S-25, but an S-19??
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post

This is doubly so for pharmacy items (I like to carry two of each, like antacids, aspirin, anti-histamine, anti-diarrheal, and plan to restock locally), but can also be for clothes as well. Carrying the bare minimum of clothes means you have a great excuse to bring some useful mementos home, like a scarf or new sweater. Local thrift stores can be a lot of fun to peruse for surprise needs as well.

As others have alluded to, reducing your "clean clothes" budget can lighten up your luggage a lot, as well. I always plan to do laundry if a trip is more than 4 days long. I travel with 3 outfits maximum and unless I am traveling with adventure gear (or board games!), can make the Synapse 19 my only bag.

I think that the S19 also makes a great day pack, so if you have some packing cubes and organizers, you can leave your overnight items at the hotel or hostel and just head out with your same personal item bag. No need for a separate day pack! (Although the Daylight Backpack is a great day pack.)
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I was introduced to TB through a female traveller who uses a S19 for world-travelling article
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel tips for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Just this morning I crammed in all of the clothes I would need for a trip (except outerwear) into a 7L Size 4 Travel Stuff Sack. It included:
    1 pair of lightweight travel jeans from Rohan
    2 short sleeved t shirts
    2 long sleeved t shirts
    1 t-shirt dress as a nightgown
    1 pair pj bottoms
    3 bras
    3 pairs of undies
    3 pairs of wool socks

Over the last few years I've been getting clothing items that pack small and dry fast, and I wash my clothes while I am away. I'm not going to lie and say everyone should be able to do this given whatever wardrobe they currently have. Many can't! I have been prioritizing lightening my travel load ever since I started having to pack and carry stuff for my kids. So when I do eventually get back to packing and carrying stuff just for me, my 20L Night Flight Travel Duffel or S25 should be plenty. (I don't have an S19)

Edited to add: while I have listed a pair of purpose-made travel jeans, I do not think one needs to have a wardrobe full of the same, nor do I think you've got to spend a lot. The t-shirt dress is from Gap Outlet (I got an unpopular color for 75% off) and the PJ bottoms are from H&M clearance rack- they're kind of ugly Hammer pants but they are thin and comfy and pack down to nothing.
    Last edited by Cristina; 01-15-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Inspired by this thread, I just chucked my TSS4 into my S25 and NFTD and I can't believe how much space is left over in my S25! Check it out:

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Just this morning I crammed in all of the clothes I would need for a trip (except outerwear) into a 7L Size 4 Travel Stuff Sack. It included:
    1 pair of lightweight travel jeans from Rohan
    2 short sleeved t shirts
    2 long sleeved t shirts
    1 t-shirt dress as a nightgown
    1 pair pj bottoms
    3 bras
    3 pairs of undies
    3 pairs of wool socks

Over the last few years I've been getting clothing items that pack small and dry fast, and I wash my clothes while I am away. I'm not going to lie and say everyone should be able to do this given whatever wardrobe they currently have. Many can't! I have been prioritizing lightening my travel load ever since I started having to pack and carry stuff for my kids. So when I do eventually get back to packing and carrying stuff just for me, my 20L Night Flight Travel Duffel or S25 should be plenty. (I don't have an S19)

Edited to add: while I have listed a pair of purpose-made travel jeans, I do not think one needs to have a wardrobe full of the same, nor do I think you've got to spend a lot. The t-shirt dress is from Gap Outlet (I got an unpopular color for 75% off) and the PJ bottoms are from H&M clearance rack- they're kind of ugly Hammer pants but they are thin and comfy and pack down to nothing.
    That's phenomenal!

If you could do photos or a video of that, THAT would be amazing.

(Off to check out travel jeans from Rohan)
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I agree, but with a caveat: make your criterion be "if I need this, will I need it RIGHT THEN THAT MOMENT and/or would needing it stop me from getting it?"
    I couldn't agree more--and at times the ultralight packers who say, well you can just buy X at the pharmacy wherever you are drive me a little nuts.

When the woman next to me on the plane is slathered with perfume and I am breaking out in hives, I need the benadryl NOW, and there are no pharmacies at 35,000 feet. Ditto for a few other things like ibuprofen, a tampon, immodium.

One thing to note is that OTC drug regulations can vary a ton by country, e.g. in Germany you have to buy ibuprofen from a pharmacist, so if you need it at midnight, you'll need to find a 24h pharmacy.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree that there are things which I am not willing to take a chance on. For me - the guideline is that if the sudden need will require me to spend a chunk of my trip looking for something, I would prefer to bring it (or a smaller version of it) with me.

-When I'm traveling with kids, say, and one of them says he/she is in pain - it's a lot easier for me to break out the ibuprofen and give them some right away, than risk a meltdown/emergency detour, when we are 30,000 feet in the air, or at the start of a three-hour transfer to a remote destination without pharmacies. I've also started bringing a course of antibiotics (I requested my doctor write me a prescription, and I have carried the same packet for a couple of years now). I've come down with bronchitis on a 3-week trip, luckily in a country where I spoke the language and had a doctor friend who could write me a scrip. But I would hate to have to pantomime an infection in a foreign country, if I can avoid it with a bit of planning.

- Ditto for a rain jacket. We once spent an entire day in FL shopping for rain jackets, because we had spent three days indoors or huddled under umbrellas, going around a theme park with one child who had fallen sick at the beginning of the trip. I am so much happier with a good waterproof/breathable jacket than a leaky poncho. Worth every penny and extra ounce of weight in my carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I couldn't agree more--and at times the ultralight packers who say, well you can just buy X at the pharmacy wherever you are drive me a little nuts.

When the woman next to me on the plane is slathered with perfume and I am breaking out in hives, I need the benadryl NOW, and there are no pharmacies at 35,000 feet. Ditto for a few other things like ibuprofen, a tampon, immodium.

One thing to note is that OTC drug regulations can vary a ton by country, e.g. in Germany you have to buy ibuprofen from a pharmacist, so if you need it at midnight, you'll need to find a 24h pharmacy.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Edited to add: while I have listed a pair of purpose-made travel jeans, I do not think one needs to have a wardrobe full of the same, nor do I think you've got to spend a lot.
    +1 for awesome jeans. If they're stylish, comfortable, and make you feel like a hot tamale, you can wear them to all but the dressiest of occasions.

As my work has required more and more travel, I've gradually replaced my wardrobe pieces with travel-friendlier ones: light, fast-drying layers (coincidentally hot-flash-friendly). It took a few years, but now I could pack anything in my closet to travel with and it would be fine. I've been looking for travel-friendly jeans that fit the bill for a long time, so I'm super excited about jeans from Athleta I got on after-Christmas sale. They're replacing my 100% cotton high waist mom jeans (I can't believe these are back in style! The mall looks like 1987.) -- they're lighter, dry faster, and are soft and stretchy enough to nap in. I'm between sizes, and I sized up to make sure they weren't too "sculpty." I wore them on a weekend road trip, and they were the only pants I needed, which means I just packed tops, underthings, cute flats, and something to sleep in. Totally do-able in an S19 (but I used my Pop Tote because it's practically an appendage of my body that I can't live without).

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I agree, but with a caveat: make your criterion be "if I need this, will I need it RIGHT THEN THAT MOMENT and/or would needing it stop me from getting it?" For me, that means I take a couple of band-aids and a couple of ibuprofen packets (because if I needed them I would want them right then that moment) and a digestive remedy (because if one is stuck to the toilet one can't go out to buy something to take care of that). On the other hand, I would not pack tissues because that's something I could easily go out and buy if I needed it. Your choices may be different from mine, but I've found that to be a useful way of looking at it.
    I totally agreed with your caveat in my above post! I always plan on taking two of each of the most commonly needed pharmaceuticals (allergy, digestive, pain, motion sickness) just like Noah's Ark. On some trips some of these things can be difficult to get on short notice, and I will carry more of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast