Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Make sure that everything that is liquid or gel is placed in your 3-1-1, items need to be less than 3oz placed in one quart plastic ziplock for each person.

TB makes the 3D Clear Organizer Cube, just for that purpose. https://www.tombihn.com/products/3d-...nt=16399453639
    Does that actually pass TSA ok, or do they give you trouble with it? I always worry that a rule stickler TSA agent will discard it because it's not a "ziplock bag", so I've never tried it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    I have never heard this and I did have to report a passport lost around my 18th birthday because we weren't sure if it was expired or not (actually my parent stole it but the rep we spoke to said it was easier to report it 'lost'). So this makes me *SUPER* nervous! I'm really careful with my passport (yay for anxiety!) but, you know, some times things just happen. I know people who have had house fires, someone who had their bag stolen at the airport before they departed for home, I had my house broken into TWICE in 7 days, etc..... I usually travel internationally once or twice a year so having to renew one EVERY year would be an insane hassle....

I hope there was some kind of 'mitigating factor' for that guy which caused this to happen, like he'd been careless or lost it twice in a very short amount of time?
    I do think it was lost twice within a relatively short amount of time, like a couple of years. And the woman said it was stolen by someone in the airport but, as in your experience, she reported it lost instead. Is it just a lot more paperwork with police reports, etc, to report stolen?

Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Does that actually pass TSA ok, or do they give you trouble with it? I always worry that a rule stickler TSA agent will discard it because it's not a "ziplock bag", so I've never tried it.
    It should be ok, my understanding is that they just want them all together and easily able to tell that they WOULD fit as if in a ziplock. That said.....

When I was leaving San Salvador year before last the secondary US bound-flights screening people threw an absolute FIT because my items weren't in a ziplock. Note, it was a travel size toothpaste, a small thing of foundation, and contact lens solution. All travel sized, all well under the maximum amounts and obviously WOULD have fit in the proper ziplock (they all fit together in the palm of the screener's hand) but because they weren't ACTUALLY in a magical ziplock they refused to allow me to take them. She said I could take 1, at that point all the security insanity had taken so many hours that we were on the verge of missing our flight so I grabbed my foundation and was the last person on the plane. Security was a nightmare in general (and both points were a beautiful example of the ridiculousness of 'security theater'*). This was the last flight of a multi country trip and I've NEVER had that (acceptable amounts but not in a literal ziplock) be an issue before (or since) so I dunno what their problem was.

Soooo, now I put them in whatever I want and just carry a folded up ziplock of the correct size in case I come up against the same ridiculousness.

*This is not meant as a dig at front line TSA workers, these people are poorly paid and dealing with travelers who are often stressed, frustrated, and hate their mere existence.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I do think it was lost twice within a relatively short amount of time, like a couple of years. And the woman said it was stolen by someone in the airport but, as in your experience, she reported it lost instead. Is it just a lot more paperwork with police reports, etc, to report stolen?
    It's been a long while and we didn't actually do any of the stolen paperwork (and there were so many other things we were trying to straighten out, I might have been 17 still...) so I don't know for sure but yeah, I think if you report it stolen you have to explain when/where, what was done to recover it, police reports if you have them, etc. For lost I think it was just signing a form that said basically "I looked everywhere and can't find it. I'll turn it in if it turns up."

The woman we spoke with was just like "Yeah, just say it was lost." Especially in my case (since I knew who had it and where), I think we would have had to proven we attempted to get it back but a) I know my parent would have refused and b) I needed to end that chapter of my life and it wasn't worth it to even try and contact them when I could just mark it lost and go on with the rest of my life.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had a problem with it with TSA, but then again, I've had Pre-Check since before I found TB, so TSA hardly ever actually sees my bag. CATSA (The Canadian equivalent) hasn't had a problem with my bag either. It's obviously clear and the correct size.

The only place I've had a problem was at Heathrow in London. I had a different toilet kit then, which was clear on all sides, but had a zipper. Kind of something like this quick google search turned up, just without any logos on it:

Travel tips for newbie-s-l640-jpg

They insisted it had to be a ziplock style bag, but luckily, they had a box of them there and just gave me one to put the liquids in. However, I think it was sandwich sized and not the 1 quart sized 3-1-1 allows for. My liquids still fit, but I had to be subjective and put just the liquids, and not all the toiletries. Non liquids like the tweezers and nail-clippers had to stay in the old bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a long while and we didn't actually do any of the stolen paperwork (and there were so many other things we were trying to straighten out, I might have been 17 still...) so I don't know for sure but yeah, I think if you report it stolen you have to explain when/where, what was done to recover it, police reports if you have them, etc. For lost I think it was just signing a form that said basically "I looked everywhere and can't find it. I'll turn it in if it turns up."

The woman we spoke with was just like "Yeah, just say it was lost." Especially in my case (since I knew who had it and where), I think we would have had to proven we attempted to get it back but a) I know my parent would have refused and b) I needed to end that chapter of my life and it wasn't worth it to even try and contact them when I could just mark it lost and go on with the rest of my life.
    Your story actually reminds me that I missed part of my story. When I went to get the new one in Canada, I also had to report the old one as 'lost', even though I knew it wasn't. It had been confiscated by the Canadian Consulate in Spain in order to provide me my temporary one, but for some reason, Passport Canada won't recognize that as having been turned back into them, so 'lost' it became.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    I've never had a problem with it with TSA, but then again, I've had Pre-Check since before I found TB, so TSA hardly ever actually sees my bag. CATSA (The Canadian equivalent) hasn't had a problem with my bag either. It's obviously clear and the correct size.

The only place I've had a problem was at Heathrow in London. I had a different toilet kit then, which was clear on all sides, but had a zipper. Kind of something like this quick google search turned up, just without any logos on it:

Travel tips for newbie-s-l640-jpg

They insisted it had to be a ziplock style bag, but luckily, they had a box of them there and just gave me one to put the liquids in. However, I think it was sandwich sized and not the 1 quart sized 3-1-1 allows for. My liquids still fit, but I had to be subjective and put just the liquids, and not all the toiletries. Non liquids like the tweezers and nail-clippers had to stay in the old bag.
    Pre-check is amazing, but unfortunately, not all airports accept it which is complete bs imo. In case I end up traveling to those airports, I like to have everything according to all their rules so I don't get nabbed for extra screening or hold up the line to get something ready for them.

My electronics seem to send off red flags when I'm not pre-check (a portable battery charger can look like laptop battery and sometimes I forget to take it out of my bag), so I try to minimize what else will set off their machines.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be ok, my understanding is that they just want them all together and easily able to tell that they WOULD fit as if in a ziplock. That said.....

When I was leaving San Salvador year before last the secondary US bound-flights screening people threw an absolute FIT because my items weren't in a ziplock. Note, it was a travel size toothpaste, a small thing of foundation, and contact lens solution. All travel sized, all well under the maximum amounts and obviously WOULD have fit in the proper ziplock (they all fit together in the palm of the screener's hand) but because they weren't ACTUALLY in a magical ziplock they refused to allow me to take them. She said I could take 1, at that point all the security insanity had taken so many hours that we were on the verge of missing our flight so I grabbed my foundation and was the last person on the plane. Security was a nightmare in general (and both points were a beautiful example of the ridiculousness of 'security theater'*). This was the last flight of a multi country trip and I've NEVER had that (acceptable amounts but not in a literal ziplock) be an issue before (or since) so I dunno what their problem was.

Soooo, now I put them in whatever I want and just carry a folded up ziplock of the correct size in case I come up against the same ridiculousness.

*This is not meant as a dig at front line TSA workers, these people are poorly paid and dealing with travelers who are often stressed, frustrated, and hate their mere existence.
    Ugh, I hate it when TSA gets ridiculous like that. When I was in Italy, they didn't tell us what to remove from our bags so I just put it through the scanner as-is. Well, they clear my person and my clothes bag, but my personal item bag with electronics was flagged.

Well, instead of pulling me aside and opening the flagged bag to check it manually like they do here, they made me do the WHOLE thing over again. I had go back around to the security line, take out the electronics from my personal item bag, run my clothes bag through the scanner again, remove my shoes and have my person be rescanned. It was ridiculous.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-check is amazing, but unfortunately, not all airports accept it which is complete bs imo. In case I end up traveling to those airports, I like to have everything according to all their rules so I don't get nabbed for extra screening or hold up the line to get something ready for them.

My electronics seem to send off red flags when I'm not pre-check (a portable battery charger can look like laptop battery and sometimes I forget to take it out of my bag), so I try to minimize what else will set off their machines.

I have pre-check, but I always pack according to 3-1-1 rules just in case. They talk about the rules like they're standard, but the way they are applied is different everywhere. I think maybe they believe they're applying the rules the way everyone else is, but travelers are the only ones who see the inconsistencies between airports? So far, I've only had to pull out my clear 3DOC once, and it wasn't an issue, even in Heathrow which is notorious for their insistence on baggies.

Good point about the charger -- I just got a new one that looks a lot like a laptop battery. I guess I need a new clear 3DOC for my electronics, too! :-)

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heathrow went rulebook on me with the ziplock bag versus 3doc bag as well.

I did as asked but told them up front their ziplock will hold more than my 3doc which it did so that was kind of funny. I’d also included things in there that didn’t count like small bar soap and qtips.

I tend to be extremely relaxed as a traveler. There is always another flight and nothing is worth stressing out the people who are supposed to help guard us against security threats. Even if they’re being unnecessarily aggressive. I figure I’m getting the fallout of some other stressful moment that occurred before I got there and it’s not about me.

Still, I have often wondered if the obsession with “what is three ounces or less” and “is this a liquid or not” takes much-needed attention away from “is this black spot hiding a weapon.”

I just try to do my part and hope everyone else does the same.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heathrow is extra thorough and a stickler for rules. I go through it quite often and it is always slow going.

Earlier this month, the metal detector buzzed--it never does--then I had to go through the nude-o-scope. And then they also wanted to wand my arms. I wasn't wearing anything different nor did I have anything in my pockets. I think they can set the sensitivity because a lot of people were being called out.

In the UK I have been subjected to extra scrutiny due to a small travel size roll of duct tape (Gatwick) and a 0.5 oz bottle of hand sanitizer that was in the 3-1-1 bag.(Guernsey) (The label was in Norwegian.) A supervisor had to be called to make sure it was okay.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4