Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on just flat-out removing the shoulder straps from a Tom Bihn bag?

Heresy for some, I know, but I really prefer duffel-style carry and they're just extra weight and space.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep them for simple reason: Murphy’s Law

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it will destroy any resale or trade value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them too thoroughly for resale value. I use my Aeronaut on about 30 flights per year, sometimes even as checked luggage. It's held up great, but by the time I'm done it'll definitely be worn out.

I actually kind of want a Tristar, because I can keep a laptop in the middle compartment, but again I want a proper duffel, not a hybrid.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently cut the strap off my MCB so I could use an Absolute Strap with it (really don’t like the built-in strap with on that bag). I waited until I decided that I was going to keep this one, then I played with it in my head for a few months and decided to go for it. I must admit that, when I rolled cutting blade across the strap, I had a moment of panic...What have I done?! I am pleased with the result and it makes the bag more useful to me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    I recently cut the strap off my MCB so I could use an Absolute Strap with it (really don’t like the built-in strap with on that bag). I waited until I decided that I was going to keep this one, then I played with it in my head for a few months and decided to go for it. I must admit that, when I rolled cutting blade across the strap, I had a moment of panic...What have I done?! I am pleased with the result and it makes the bag more useful to me.
    we're way off topic but how did you attach the Absolute strap? I'm only vaguely familiar with the MCB/SCB, as I only have the LCB and Makers bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut the backpack straps out of my WF and used the space to pack flat items. I had no problem selling it to someone who also wasn't interested in the backpack straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    we're way off topic but how did you attach the Absolute strap? I'm only vaguely familiar with the MCB/SCB, as I only have the LCB and Makers bag.
    One side of the MCB strap is stitched to the bag, the other side slides thru a plastic rectangle. I purchased a pack of 1.5” “Metal Adjuster Triangle Ring with Bar Swivel Clip D Buckles” from Amazon. The portion of the strap that was stitched to the bag, I cut off leaving about 2”, which I then stitched down leaving a loop. On the other side, I broke off the plastic rectangle, leaving the loop. With pieces of the removed strap, two TB 1.5” Double Gatekeepers, and two of the triangles from Amazon, I made removable attachments that clip into the loops on the bag. (My picture is having difficulty loading.)

Attachment 21789Attachment 21790
    Last edited by Wanderlust77; 01-30-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add photos

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which bag exactly and why did you get it in the first place?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Which bag exactly and why did you get it in the first place?
    Aeronaut 30. I like the duffel-style carry and have really no interest in backpack travel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Aeronaut 30. I like the duffel-style carry and have really no interest in backpack travel.
    OK.

I too do not prefer Backpack travel but the straps on my A45 have sure been a lifesaver for me at times as well.