Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second, third, and fourth this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an SA on eBay right now with a $100 BIN
    (not my listing or affiliation)

ETA: the first one is gone...hopefully to one of you fine people

ETA: there's a different (older listing) black ballistic/iberian SA on eBay right now as well... $100 BIN
    Last edited by G42; 02-02-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would also be awesome if they offered a smaller version (maybe 20L?) as part of the pre-run. I think their inventory is lacking for this capacity range, except the Synapse 19 which isn't an option for me with all its exterior pockets.

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought SA right before they retired it (black halcyon dark grid) and would consider getting an UMP in black halcyon as well. For now I use either my black halcyon Side Kick, my original halcyon Side Effect or my Nordic Halcyon Side Effect.

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg yes bring this back and Iíll buy two on pre-order immediately!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a ballistic SA and then a black halcyon one... traded the ballistic one. Still have the black ballistic UMP and LMP but never use them.

I find that I prefer using a SE on the top and a Travel Cubelet on the bottom, even though they're slightly smaller in capacity. In particular, the LMP sticks out too much for my liking.

The traditional UMP & LMP attachments are fiddly if you use them all. With the SE & TC, I use two attachments each and can fairly quickly take one off for a walking around bag if needed. They're fiddly enough though that I would notice if someone was trying to take them off whilst I was wearing the pack. I keep anything important inside the bag anyway.

Forum Member
    London
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I had a ballistic SA and then a black halcyon one... traded the ballistic one. Still have the black ballistic UMP and LMP but never use them.

I find that I prefer using a SE on the top and a Travel Cubelet on the bottom, even though they're slightly smaller in capacity. In particular, the LMP sticks out too much for my liking.

The traditional UMP & LMP attachments are fiddly if you use them all. With the SE & TC, I use two attachments each and can fairly quickly take one off for a walking around bag if needed. They're fiddly enough though that I would notice if someone was trying to take them off whilst I was wearing the pack. I keep anything important inside the bag anyway.
    Hmmm you've unused UMP and LMP in black ballistic....? #canthideexcitement

Is there a deal to be done?

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 SA - it is my favorite Bihn bag. I would imagine that I might have to consider another if they decided to do a pre-order...
    S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/Solar; GES25/Coyote, GES25/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA/Steel, SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Canyon, MCB/Wasabi, MCB/Canyon; LCB Steel/Navy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the new 525/210 ballistic colour combinations on the Luminary, I can imagine them on the SA:

Nebulous Grey/Island
    Deep blue/Coyote
    Aubergine/Coyote
    Mars Red/Coyote
    Burnt orange/Cloud

Which one would I choose?!?!?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Looking at the new 525/210 ballistic colour combinations on the Luminary, I can imagine them on the SA:

Nebulous Grey/Island
    Deep blue/Coyote
    Aubergine/Coyote
    Mars Red/Coyote
    Burnt orange/Cloud

Which one would I choose?!?!?
    Looking at your list of colors there, I would almost get the impression that you like Coyote! Can't imagine why.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post

@G42,

Just a quick comment that how "fiddly" you may find the traditional UMP & LMP attachments may depend on how recent was your Smart Alec purchase. The webbing loops for attaching the modular pockets are sewn much tighter on the most recent model SAs -- enough so that I commented that while @Amy's 05-06-2016 post with the suggestion of attaching a Side Effect with Triangle Hooks does work on older model SAs:

Lobby for pre-order Smart Alec run-a24e1d5877e6cc1cdc058c63a0684c54-jpg

the more recent model SAs -- like my (New) Black Halcyon/Island SA (delivered 12/12/2016) -- use tighter webbing loops, that will take the 1" (and 1.5" if you have them) single gatekeeper clips more easily than the curved triangle hooks. Here, for example, is your 07-27-2018 picture from a post:

Just above your post, @gqb commented:
    I tried this hack tonight with a black SK and a Nordic SE and here are a few quick snaps of the results using the 1 inch single gatekeeper clips.
    I also picked up some 1.5 inch triangle clips which are significantly chunkier and did not fit easily through the webbing loops. So I'll be sticking with the gatekeepers.
    I'll just state that if I try attaching any of these accessories, including UMPs, LMPs, Side Kicks or Side Effects on my Aubergine/Wasabi SA that is 4 years older, I have no problems easily attaching/detaching them, and I can use either the Triangle Hooks or the Single Gatekeeper Clips.

You can see many different attachment pictures in the Halcyon Smart Alec + Ballistic Upper Module Pocket (UMP) thread. (And BTW, mixing the new Black Halcyon modular pockets on the Aubergine SA and putting Aubergine modular pockets on the new Black Halcyon SA looks pretty cool as a switch around).

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond!
    That's a great reference thread

My black halcyon SA was from the final production run. Attaching the SE and TC using single 1" gatekeepers (one on each side) is fairly easy... it's the full set of attachments on the ballistic UMP and LMP that I find fiddly and difficult... the webbing loops on the SA itself seem very tight to the fit. I just find the squeeze, flip the gate open, release to be difficult when I'm trying to use all the loops.
    It's also quite possible that I'm simply uncoordinated!

Having used the pack both with UMP/LMP and SE/TC, I do prefer the SE/TC method. The UMP is cool and a bit bigger than the SE... and if I don't try to attach all 6 hooks, it's easier... but I really like being able to take the SE off and use it as a bag, once I get to my destination.

The LMP just feels like it sticks out way too far, though I know I could under pack it... it just seems to visually break the line of the bag. Also, ballistic was the only material on offer at the end, so I've not had the chance to play with a halcyon version to match the pack. I don't know if that would alter my opinion.

Thanks again for the thread
    Last edited by G42; 02-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy black halcyon and black ballistic. I have nordic and love it so very much.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @G42,

I was surprised at how much tighter the webbing loop fits were on the later model Smart Alecs. I ordered the Black Halcyon upper and lower modular pockets about half a year earlier (and no, I didn't have any premonition or warning that they would be discontinued at the time of my order). I was waiting for the new Black Halcyon/Island SA combination, so I sent in my order as soon as that was available. I could get the pockets attached but I had a hard time taking them off. (The release for the Upper Modular Pockets were sensitive to the angle at which I tried to detach them; and though it was possible to get better at removing them, given the large number of forum requests to "hack" different configurations of adding Side Effects, Side Kicks, etc. and also Travel Cubelets or Citizen Canines in place of the Lower Modular Pocket, I didn't want to have this problem every time someone wanted to know how to reconfigure this). I actually called up Kat and told her that I was having problems removing the pockets -- particularly one loop position at the top -- because the webbing was tight. She exchanged the SA with another one in the same color combination for which she tested the webbing loop attachments.

Since I didn't continually buy Smart Alecs over this period, I can't give more general information on when the webbing loops started getting sewn tighter, unless there are forum comments and/or pictures to base this on.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Looking at your list of colors there, I would almost get the impression that you like Coyote! Can't imagine why.
    I bet a Guide's Edition SA will be pretty awesome

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast