Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nite Ize Tru Zip Waterproof Zipper

Nite Ize has apparently been working on this air-tight waterproof zipper for 4 years. It seems very exciting--apparently you can stand on a zipped pouch and the seal won't burst. Also silent!

TruZip – WaterTight Zipper

The patented TRU Zip design is the first sliding, toothless, and TRUly waterproof zipper system on the market. This complete zipper system introduces a fully-closed assembly that can be RF welded in applications that were never possible before. With an intuitive pull-to-close design that secures into an overmolded garage, TRU Zip offers a confident closure you can feel.

Any plans to work this into any of the TB products? Feels like it'd be a good fit for all of the organizer pouches and the 3DOC. I'm curious to try it in person once commercially available.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tru-Zip stuff is super cool but in my experience, fully waterproof is rarely needed for organizer pouches. The people who will see the best use out of these are probably out on the water, followed by people who are out in the elements all day.

The Nite-Ize Tru-Zip 3-1-1 pouch is pretty neat, but I suspect a lot of us already use the 3DOC which is pretty water resistant and contains spills fairly well. Bags and pouches that are TOO waterproof can also take a long time to dry in case they do get wet inside.

I just wouldn't expect products using this technology from TB since installing these zippers and making other watertight seams requires rubberized or laminate materials and RF welding, which are techniques and materials that Tom Bihn is not currently using.

When I am going on a bike ride, or trip out in the elements, or sailing on a boat are times when I break out the RF-welded bags, seam taped PU sacks, and Pelican hard cases. All other times, Tom Bihn has me covered. That said, I'd love to see VX laminate fabrics in more specialty, weatherproof Tom Bihn offerings.
    Last edited by carrot; 02-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.