Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit Decision

Iíve got a real need to have a PU to use as a day bag. My quandary is whether to go with halcyon or ballistic. I love the feel of my MCB in halcyon when carrying it, but do not like the fact that it does not stand alone without its FS. Help, please. Do the pockets help the PU stand to fill?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Maregold View Post
    Iíve got a real need to have a PU to use as a day bag. My quandary is whether to go with halcyon or ballistic. I love the feel of my MCB in halcyon when carrying it, but do not like the fact that it does not stand alone without its FS. Help, please. Do the pockets help the PU stand to fill?
    Hmmm good question. I only have Halcyon but I find it does sit up just fine if there is something in the main pocket. If only the Side pockets are full, it is more likely to collapse in on itself. The PU is shaped kind of like a ship, and when you put stuff in the middle you widen out the base it has to rest on.

What sort of stuff are you likely to carry in it?

ETA: Here is a post I did last year with photos of different loads in the PU. As you'll see I mainly use it as a bag with kid stuff in it, but you can also see the sizes and shapes of what fits well. I hope this helps! Welcome.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ve-photos.html
    Last edited by Cristina; 02-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maregold, welcome! What kinds of things do you think you'll carry in it? My Original Halcyon/Wasabi PU stands up pretty well on its own. If I have similar things to what you're planning to carry, I could test pack and take some pictures for you.

Also, I've never tried the PU in Ballistic but when I was deciding whether to get a Parental Unit, a couple of people on the Ravelry forums told me they had a harder time reaching into the outside pockets with the Ballistic fabric. (Though if you don't plan to use the small outermost pockets, that might not be an issue!)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a PU in ballistic and personally love the weight of the fabric. It stands up on its own and isnít floppy even when it is empty or nearly empty. I donít find it hard to access any of the pockets. I have used my (new to me) PU and my original PU from 2014 (that was recently stolen) as a diaper bag, gym bag, EDC, and one bag travel for weeks long trips and found the fabric still looks new and has held up very well.
    Honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with whatever fabric you select!
    Last edited by nsh; 02-06-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you for your input. I think that I will go with the ballistic because of the stiffness of the fabric. I like the fact that it will stand by itself, as do my two Swifts. I will be using it to carry my knitting, most likely as an everything bag for day trips.