Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itís going to be a long and rewarding relationship

Just opened my Synapse 25 today and I canít believe the quality and craftsmanship that went into this bag for the price I paid. Iím amazed. I also got a clear organizer pouch and that is great as well. Thank you Tom Bihn!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGrumpus View Post
    Just opened my Synapse 25 today and I canít believe the quality and craftsmanship that went into this bag for the price I paid. Iím amazed. I also got a clear organizer pouch and that is great as well. Thank you Tom Bihn!
    Yes! Welcome to the slippery slope of Buy All The Bags Valley

An S25 also brought me into the fold. There's tons of posts on how people like to set up their S25s. Welcome!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S25 was my first Tom Bihn bag too! I don't even want to admit how many bags, pouches, etc. I've purchased (happily) in the last 3 years.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And when you really can't justify buying yourself more bags, there are always gifts to give!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up purchasing the GE edition of the bag in black and I absolutely love it. I take it with me everywhere including to my corporate work environment. My wife says I find any excuse to carry it with me. The love is real!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I loaded it last night with my daily essentials and everything fit great. I know have 4 pounds less on my back. I was carrying an oakley Kitchen Sink and while itís a great bag itís too heavy and big for my frame.
    So far so good at work. Iím a mailman and Iím outside all day so I keep gloves, a raincoat, a down sweater, bottle of water, a leatherman, mophie battery pack and some other small items. It fits perfectly in the space that I like to keep my bag so itís close by.

The only thing left to do is decide how Iím gonna attach the zipper pulls. Iím contemplating cutting the pull tabs and attaching it directly to the slide. I donít know if Iím brave enough to do it though.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I loaded it last night with my daily essentials and everything fit great. I know have 4 pounds less on my back. I was carrying an oakley Kitchen Sink and while itís a great bag itís too heavy and big for my frame.
    So far so good at work. Iím a mailman and Iím outside all day so I keep gloves, a raincoat, a down sweater, bottle of water, a leatherman, mophie battery pack and some other small items. It fits perfectly in the space that I like to keep my bag so itís close by.

The only thing left to do is decide how Iím gonna attach the zipper pulls. Iím contemplating cutting the pull tabs and attaching it directly to the slide. I donít know if Iím brave enough to do it though.
    Cutting off the metal zips will reduce future resale/trade value so I would tread carefully. If it's too jangly with all those zippers, you could try adding cord pulls as shown in the first example here, it cuts down the noise a lot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReyJfgPNXs

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ seconding adding cord zipper pulls rather than cutting the metal tabs off. I’ve been rolling with a s25 with monkey fist pulls looped through both holes in all the zippers, veryyyy effective at cutting the jangling down to almost nothing.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Cutting off the metal zips will reduce future resale/trade value so I would tread carefully. If it's too jangly with all those zippers, you could try adding cord pulls as shown in the first example here, it cuts down the noise a lot.

Awesome. Thatís what Iím gonna do when I get home. I have plenty of black paracord at the house. Maybe I should use a different color to mix things up a bit. Hmmmmm

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thatís what Iím gonna do when I get home. I have plenty of black paracord at the house. Maybe I should use a different color to mix things up a bit. Hmmmmm
    I hung a medallion on the zipper pull of the short top pocket. That's where I keep my access badge for work, so I wanted it to be easier to find in the pre-dawn hours!-s19-jpg
    Last edited by tress29; 02-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    ^ seconding adding cord zipper pulls rather than cutting the metal tabs off. Iíve been rolling with a s25 with monkey fist pulls looped through both holes in all the zippers, veryyyy effective at cutting the jangling down to almost nothing.
    Yes! Monkey fist silencer pulls are so great. I have some navy paracord arriving soon for my new S19. Can't wait to get some navy monkey fists on there!

Some people have put a different colour on a pocket they might need to direct someone else to, like "the water bottle is in the pocket with the purple pull". On my Parental Unit, which is a two-sided symmetrical bag, I use a red pull on the pocket where I keep my first aid kit. It had beads on it so I can tell which side of the bag is which in the dark.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post

using it at all will reduce its resale value. it’s a backpack, so use it how it best suits you (in my opinion) and if that included snipping the pulls, then do it. i had a synapse 19 and a aeronaut 45,that was a LOT of clanking and visual clutter. snipped before it went on my back. my only hesitation was bihn’s assertion on warranty which i believe to be illegal, but i haven’t gon back to read it. i don’t think they can deny a warranty claim for something cosmetic if it can’t be demonstrated to have contributed to the problem. if say, the customer melted a zipper shrink tubing or similar, sure, void the coverage for THAT zipper, but i don’t think they can blankety say bag or even all unaffected zippers. so i snipped them. to no t snip them for fear of resale value, to me seems sillily., but we’re all different and i accept/respect others values, so take that suggestion with proper amount of salt.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itís going to be a long and rewarding relationship

Quote Originally Posted by deuxcv View Post
    using it at all will reduce its resale value. itís a backpack, so use it how it best suits you (in my opinion) and if that included snipping the pulls, then do it. i had a synapse 19 and a aeronaut 45,that was a LOT of clanking and visual clutter. snipped before it went on my back. my only hesitation was bihnís assertion on warranty which i believe to be illegal, but i havenít gon back to read it. i donít think they can deny a warranty claim for something cosmetic if it canít be demonstrated to have contributed to the problem. if say, the customer melted a zipper shrink tubing or similar, sure, void the coverage for THAT zipper, but i donít think they can blankety say bag or even all unaffected zippers. so i snipped them. to no t snip them for fear of resale value, to me seems sillily., but weíre all different and i accept/respect others values, so take that suggestion with proper amount of salt.
    You'd have to email customer service to be sure, but I am fairly certain that they (TB) have said on the forums that modifying a bag would only void the warranty on that part of the bag, not the rest of it. Not sure what the official policy on zipper pulls is. Several years ago, apparently, bags came without metal zipper pulls, just cord!

ETA: TB bags retain their value pretty well, I would say. Particularly in the trades.
    Last edited by Cristina; 02-07-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to keep the pulls and did this. Might go with a different color paracord in the future but the black was there and already cut to length.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast