Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That burnt orange Luminary! So good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the sternum strap attachments change?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    Did the sternum strap attachments change?
    Hi @marbenais,

The connectors they’re using for the sternum strap are slightly different: they’re more triangular in shape, and the slots for hooking them onto the webbing are on the underside, so they look more understated.

You guys have caught most of the differences that I’ve noted that weren’t already discussed in the forum linked “blog post”.

I’ll mention a few remaining differences that aren’t easy to see:
    • The center seam stitching on the back wall that separates the laptop/tablet compartment from the main compartment is now arranged so that it’s less noticeable when you insert the laptop or tablet. In the earlier model of the Luminary you hit a more abrupt edge as you inserted a laptop from the side of the zipper opening. (I don’t remember whether I commented on this in the forums, but I did pass this on as feedback to Darcy and Tom.) This is one of the items related to their discussion about how to sew the center seam.
    • The binding along the inner and outer edges of the backstrap straps seem slightly wider, and the way they cut the strap (Ballistic) material at an angle (in the meeting discussion) along with methods of making the straps lie flatter (also discussed there) really do seem to noticeably reduce any tendency of these backpack straps to curl. Like their original first generation Luminary predecessor, these straps are extremely comfortable to wear.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    • The center seam stitching on the back wall that separates the laptop/tablet compartment from the main compartment is now arranged so that it’s less noticeable when you insert the laptop or tablet. In the earlier model of the Luminary you hit a more abrupt edge as you inserted a laptop from the side of the zipper opening. (I don’t remember whether I commented on this in the forums, but I did pass this on as feedback to Darcy and Tom.) This is one of the items related to their discussion about how to sew the center seam.
    Great adjustment...catching on the center seam was something I found annoying on the original version too. My original is Olive/Canyon though (lovely colour combo) so I just work around it.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Great adjustment...catching on the center seam was something I found annoying on the original version too. My original is Olive/Canyon though (lovely colour combo) so I just work around it.
    Hi @G42,

We both discussed this issue in the WHAT FITS INSIDE THE LUMINARY? thread. Here’s a quote from my post #21:
    @G42,

While I think this issue may crop up mainly if you're filling the Luminary fairly full, and using the back compartment for items that don't take up the full width (e.g., a Notebook rather than an iPad or Tablet), I think this could be fixed by sewing down the seam so that the edge points away from the Side Zipper opening.

The seam is there to reinforce the zipper in the main, front compartment (i.e., if you attachment the water bottle mesh pocket to the back of the compartment, in order to hold this in place). However, from my examination of the Luminary construction, the finished seam in the back compartment could be pointed in either direction when flat -- and having the edge of the reinforced, flattened seam point away from the side zipper opening instead of towards it would alleviate cases where a slim notebook inserted in the back will catch its edge on the seam when inserted. Just my thoughts here, YMMV. A possible small design modification suggestion to Nick and Darcy?

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @G42,

We both discussed this issue in the WHAT FITS INSIDE THE LUMINARY? thread. Here’s a quote from my post #21:
    @Moriond, your memory is amazing!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the improvements (zippered pocket, matching piping, less prominent center seam in the flat back compartment), sound good! I don't care either way about the side pockets. However, I really appreciate the stiff handle at the top of the bag, and don't want to give this up. Fortunately I got this bag in an array of color combos because I knew I liked it very much in its original configuration, so I'll just keep the ones I have.

It is a small backpack, and I could see wanting to have the 15 liter version sometimes. Part of the charm of the current Luminary is how sleek, light and compact it is. I don't know how this carries over into the larger size, so I'm interested to see reviews and real-life photos.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, I wasn't expecting the ballistic pcsb. I've been trying to decide between the pcsb and side kick for a larger purse and had ruled out pcsb because it was only in the halcyon colors. This changes everything. Alright TB, get ready for a "big" order when pre-sale opens...Luminary 15, PCSB, SK and DLBP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by setrombley View Post
    I've been going back and forth on getting a Side Kick for a while, but that pic makes me think that maybe what I really want is a nice Dawn PCSB. The slightly larger size might outweigh the lack of organization, which is actually a bit overkill in the SK for me.

Who I am kidding, I want Dawn everything.
    I absolutely agreed. Dawn is beautiful especially as an exterior fabric.
    I hope TB has plenty of Pre-Order Qty for Dawn.

Is it confirmed that the new PCSB wouldn't have any interior pocket?
    I hope there is at least one, so I could slide in my phone in there easily, to be separate from others stuff - swimming around the larger PCSB.

When I first see the photo of the new PCSB, I really amazed by the exterior revision - the placement of the strap, really help user who prefer to carry cross-body and yet able to access the bag fluidly!

Since the PCSB is a larger, packable too, I hope 525 Fabric can an option down the road? A slightly stiffer PCSB would be interesting too, just like Small Café Bag.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I read through and searched; please forgive me if this was already answered... Will the new interior zippered pocket fit a mini organizer pouch? Thank you - so excited!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer15 View Post
    Hi, I read through and searched; please forgive me if this was already answered... Will the new interior zippered pocket fit a mini organizer pouch? Thank you - so excited!
    I just tried this and it does fit, but you have to kind of work it in there--especially in the Luminary 12, where it just barely fit at all. In the Luminary 15 it fit fine once I got it worked into the pocket.

If your mini organizer pouch has something very stiff in it, you might not be able to get it into the pocket inside a Luminary 12 since I had to bend mine a bit to get it in there (I was able to flatten it out once it was inside the pocket), but you could still get it into the pocket inside the Luminary 15.
    Last edited by aedifica; 02-10-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. Just to mentally prepare and choose a color (will prob end up being ballistic anyway), will the PCSB be offered in the Halcyons as well?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the strap attachment points moved for the PCSB? The product page looks like the attachment point is about an inch or so down the side, but the pictures in the first post make it look like the attachment points are now on the top surface.

edited to add: new pictures for the PCSB do show new attachment points on the top.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 02-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I’m trying hard to be conservative but my shopping cart is edging towards 4 digits...
    oh, I'm not the only one? I'm trying to keep it within the $ amount of a check I got for Christmas, which isn't quite 4 figures

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Just to mentally prepare and choose a color (will prob end up being ballistic anyway), will the PCSB be offered in the Halcyons as well?
    According to the blog post about the new colors they will continue only northwest sky halcyon at this time along with all the ballistics.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast