Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I couldn't find the posts where this was discussed (maybe @moriond will find them at some point!) but we did make a sample of the Luminary 12 in Halcyon way back when and Tom just didn't like it at all. If I recall correctly, he (and all of us really) felt it didn't have enough structure for the particular design that is the Luminary. So, no Luminaries in Halcyon.

I think the official name will indeed be the Ghost Whale Pouch. It stuck
    Hi Darcy and others,

Here's your post about Halcyon versions (#184 at the end of the Summer 2017 Debut! thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We made samples of the Luminary and the Stowaway in 400d Halcyon, and here's what we decided:

We're all in agreement that 400d Halcyon just isn't the right fabric for the Luminary (it really sings in the 525!) and thus we won't be offering it in that design. The Stowaway sample in 400d Halcyon, however, found us changing our minds; we'll take a photo of the sample 400d Black Halcyon Stowaway and add it to the website as an "In Production" option by the end of this week.

We don't have plans to make the Side Effect in Mars/Viridian, but it will be offered in the Side Kick.
    One of the differences between using Halcyon in a bag like the Synapse vs. the Luminary is the segmented structure of the Synapse pockets/compartments and the way that the S19 and S25 adjust to the way different pockets are filled. Notice that with the Luminary there's a (rather elegant) curve to the front of the bag that you can also see in the shape of the bottom. I'd imagine that this curved shape is elegantly maintained by the 525d Ballistic Nylon, whereas it would not be as well supported with a fabric that flexes more.

Just my thoughts, YMMV,

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    So far I've been using my L12 as a really big Small Cafe Bag. It has twice the volume of the SCB, but I just move my SCB Freudian Slip over to the L12 and then I have extra space for whatever else I need to take along. (For example, last night I added six cans of soup and a pastry--I have photos I'll share later!)
    As an extraneous comment, I also packed up the Luminaries and found that 3 standard soup cans nicely fit the height of the interior (in both), and you have two sides, but I will leave this detail to your capable hands. My personal feeling is that this backpack excels in light carries. If I really load this up to maximum capacity, especially, in the L15, I lose some of the extra comfort that its straps impart.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we expect deep blue and coyote combination to turn up on other bags? Such as the cafe bags, SE, SK and DLBP?

While I don't need a luminary 15, I want one in that colour scheme just because it looks so good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post
    Can we expect deep blue and coyote combination to turn up on other bags? Such as the cafe bags, SE, SK and DLBP?

While I don't need a luminary 15, I want one in that colour scheme just because it looks so good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Oh yes please, this color scheme is really gorgeous! And can I make a suggestion to rename Coyote in Old Gold? Especially when combined with Deep Blue it has this classy appeal that rather reminds me of a medieval painting than a scrubby animal ;-)
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really a gold color? I have not tried anything in Coyote because the name does sounds unappealing, silly s that is, and because it is hard to picture exactly what it looks like. My favorite combo so far has been Deep Blue/Cloud, but I also liked Deep Blue/Canyon.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really a gold color?
    While color is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, I would not say coyote is gold. I would call it a warm mid brown with a yellow undertone. Not as much yellow undertone as canyon. Canyon is lighter and yellower.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends very much on the material. But the 210 ballistic used inside the S25 GE and the Luminaries to me has a golden tone. It's not a bright yellow gold though that is why I proposed Old Gold. And perhaps it also depends on the contrasting color. Deep Blue is a very saturated blue that in my opinion is very nice with the Coyote and brings out the golden shimmer...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I think it depends very much on the material. But the 210 ballistic used inside the S25 GE and the Luminaries to me has a golden tone. It's not a bright yellow gold though that is why I proposed Old Gold. And perhaps it also depends on the contrasting color. Deep Blue is a very saturated blue that in my opinion is very nice with the Coyote and brings out the golden shimmer...
    The Coyote in the 210 ballistic looks a bit like the antique brass/vintage gold metal I use in jewelry making... it does seem to change colour a lot depending on the light and what it is sitting next too.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post

I'm so glad you all like that Deep Blue/Coyote combo! We are planning to bring a few other bags along in those colors-- you'll see Cafe Bags and Daylight Backpack and Briefcase options some time later this spring

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    I'm so glad you all like that Deep Blue/Coyote combo! We are planning to bring a few other bags along in those colors-- you'll see Cafe Bags and Daylight Backpack and Briefcase options some time later this spring
    Are you going to do Deep Blue/Dawn too? I’d love a MCB in that color combination.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    What about the Aubergine / Coyote...?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long website backend story short: in order to offer our Zip-Top Shop Bags for pre-order in 210d ballistic, we had to list the ZTSBs in 200d Halcyon for pre-order as well — even though we actually have some of each 200d Halcyon color in-stock and ready to ship. This will only be the case until March 5th when pre-order closes. It’s less than ideal, we know, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, if you’d like to order a Zip-Top Shop Bag in 200d Halcyon and have it ship right away, please emailus@tombihn.com, live chat us, or give us a call and we can email you a link that allows you to place an order.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Are you going to do Deep Blue/Dawn too? Id love a MCB in that color combination.
    That does sound like a good combo! It may be something we consider in the future now that Dawn is sticking around but for the time being Deep Blue/Coyote will be the only new Deep Blue offering.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    What about the Aubergine / Coyote...?
    We'll see how the Aubergine/Coyote combo does in the Luminary and based on that we may decide to offer it in other bags later this year

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the blog post on the Luminary design process; it's pretty awesome to see everything that goes into the production of these bags.

One thing I'm curious about is the decision to return to a flat carry handle. Any comments I've seen about it prefer the folded and sewn handle of the original Luminary, and I agree. My S19 with the sewn style feels so much better than my S25 that has plain webbing.

If anyone has insight on this I'd love to hear it. I'm sure it's easier, as it's one less step, but that doesn't seem to be the TB way so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast