Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    I just read the blog post on the Luminary design process; it's pretty awesome to see everything that goes into the production of these bags.

One thing I'm curious about is the decision to return to a flat carry handle. Any comments I've seen about it prefer the folded and sewn handle of the original Luminary, and I agree. My S19 with the sewn style feels so much better than my S25 that has plain webbing.

If anyone has insight on this I'd love to hear it. I'm sure it's easier, as it's one less step, but that doesn't seem to be the TB way so I'm sure I'm missing something.
    For a variety of reasons, it turned out the folded and sewn handle was very difficult (nearly impossible) to fabricate: both the sewing and cutting turned out to be far more labor intensive than we had originally planned for.

The webbing handle on the new Luminaries is our newer thick and smooth webbing and we like it just as well if not better than the folded handle and it's, of course, much easier to fabricate.

Note: we're using up all of our stock of the folded and sewn handle parts on the Synapses. Once those parts are all used, we'll switch the Synapse handle to be the newer thick and smooth webbing, too.

Here's a close-up of the thick and smooth webbing handle:

Luminary + 210 Ballistic Shop Bags Pre-Order & News Thread-luminary-handle-jpg
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thank you Darcy! That's what I was missing for sure-- had no idea that it's a thicker webbing. Can't wait to check it out.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9