Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC bag/pack for back pain

Howdy yíall! Need some advice and hoping someone can help so Iím not purchasing needlessly. We were rear-ended last year in a three car accident. Because of the accident, I sustained a serious back injury (herniated disks in my neck, middle and lower back with cord compression in my neck). Iím trying not to carry too much so Iím wondering which of the backpacks would be best for EDC? I already own two DLBP and a SA. I use the SA to house my 11Ē MacBook Air, which I rarely carry unless Iím traveling. Iím debating purchasing the Luminary 12/15 (the original had pockets that were too small for my phone) in hopes that the padding helps. Iím a substitute teacher so I donít want to carry too much but I also need to make sure I have my essentials: phone, keys, wallet, water bottle, 9.7Ē tablet (on occasion) snacks and a charger. Any advice would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tuskegee7294; 02-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB: Navy/Cayenne; SSB: UV & Black Halcyon; LSB: Island; BB: Black; SC: Navy; Swift: Black/Steel; LS: Aubergine/Island; SE: Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; COW: Aubergine; TSS: Steel, Iberian & UV; YSS: Island & Iberian; Pilot: Black/Wasabi; FJN: Grey & Navy; PCSB: Black Halcyon; TT: Monarch, Sitka, UV & Black.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have to give up my Bihnion card for suggesting this, but have you thought about a wheeled backpack for the days you're teaching?

I think the s19 might be a good suggestion too it looks small when you're wearing it, but can really hold quite a bit. I suspect it'll really depend on how a gets along with your specific back pain(s), and unfortunately there's not a way to know without trying it. I think the way you pack a bag is going to have a big impact on how the bag feels. You might also consider if the internal frame support is something that would help you or not (again, that'll probably be specific to your unique back situation).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about your injuries!

I think the new L15 might work for you.

It holds my 13" MacBook Air in a padded sleeve and should hold the rest of your list, unless your snacks are really bulky. TB increased the size of one of the side pockets, so that will hopefully fix your phone storage problem. I can fit a 16oz Nalgene water bottle into that expanded pocket, if I'm using the main compartment for my Mac.
    I also find the Luminary straps to be very comfortable and it sits well on my back. I'm 5'4" and the back length of the new L15 is about 17.5".

Keeping to the smallest pack that will hold your stuff will help prevent you overloading, but everyone's body & pain are different, so I hope you go slowly!

Best of luck
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    I might have to give up my Bihnion card for suggesting this, but have you thought about a wheeled backpack for the days you're teaching?

I think the s19 might be a good suggestion too it looks small when you're wearing it, but can really hold quite a bit. I suspect it'll really depend on how a gets along with your specific back pain(s), and unfortunately there's not a way to know without trying it. I think the way you pack a bag is going to have a big impact on how the bag feels. You might also consider if the internal frame support is something that would help you or not (again, that'll probably be specific to your unique back situation).
    I have a Jansport Driver 8 (wheeled) so for days I have to carry a lot Iíd use that. Iíve owned a S19 & S25 in the past. The S25 was too big for EDC (I would overpack it). Iíve considered the S19 but Iím afraid I would do the same and overpack it. Looking at the Luminary 12/15 (I had the 10 but the side pockets were not good for my phone) especially since the back is padded.

LCB: Navy/Cayenne; SSB: UV & Black Halcyon; LSB: Island; BB: Black; SC: Navy; Swift: Black/Steel; LS: Aubergine/Island; SE: Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; COW: Aubergine; TSS: Steel, Iberian & UV; YSS: Island & Iberian; Pilot: Black/Wasabi; FJN: Grey & Navy; PCSB: Black Halcyon; TT: Monarch, Sitka, UV & Black.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider looking into a briefcase style bag or a tote bag. I personally use the pop tote as my edc bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp0o0ky View Post
    I would consider looking into a briefcase style bag or a tote bag. I personally use the pop tote as my edc bag.
    Lol, I have a Pop Tote but I use it mainly for knitting. Was worried that if itís on one shoulder that would cause some unevenness with my gait.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second G42 suggestion to try the new Luminaries as they are very comfortable to wear (the padding does help indeed). With regard to your phone I would try both sizes. If you'd choose the L12 and you'd need to carry your Macbook occasionally you can still put it in the main compartment.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am excited to try a Luminary for this very reason (back pain and discomfort). Had a totebag-style leather bag for a while to carry around my laptop but didn't like that feeling of unevenness you mentioned, tuskegee7294. For better balance, I switched from the one-shoulder bag to a backpack, and since I don't need to bring a lot besides the laptop, I use a DLBP with a 13" Cache inside it. Since you mention you already have two DLBPs, I'm mostly posting here since I'm curious about what you'll decide!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding (or thirding??) the Luminary suggestion. I love my Luminary 12 primarily because itís so comfortable. I forget Iím wearing it sometimes. I am particularly excited about the L15 as I carry books in my bag and it can be a tight fit if I have more than two or am carry my Surface Pro.

I also have back issues but not to the extent you have. So sorry about the accident. Will your pain improve in time?
    Last edited by Traveltech; 02-13-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Seconding (or thirding??) the Luminary suggestion. I love my Luminary 12 primarily because itís so comfortable. I forget Iím wearing it sometimes. I am particularly excited about the L15 as I carry books in my bag and it can be a tight fit if I have more than two or am carry my Surface Pro.

I also have back issues but not to the extent you have. So sorry about the accident. Will your pain improve in time?
    Not sure...I had a Facette block done to my neck and lower back...they are waiting to see what to do about the middle. I have a back brace that I can only wear four hours a day and Tramadol to take at night. I had the original Luminary but my phone would only fit in the pocket without a case. Curious to see how the new pockets are (I have an iPhone XS Max)...canít decide between the 12 or 15 (MacBook Air is 11Ē and my Samsung tablet is 9.7Ē...I only carry one or the other).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the S19 is the smallest backpack that offers the Internal Frame. That should help a lot once you shape it best for you. Also, don't neglect the waist strap, no matter what backpack you get. That also readjusts the load. The S19 has 2 lash points for the numerous Cache offerings for devices. Use the lash point closest to your back. The further your heaviest object is away from your back, the heavier it acts upon you. Think of a lever.

Good luck with your search.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Not sure...I had a Facette block done to my neck and lower back...they are waiting to see what to do about the middle. I have a back brace that I can only wear four hours a day and Tramadol to take at night.
    I am crossing all my fingers that you will recover soon! Sounds really severe.

I had the original Luminary but my phone would only fit in the pocket without a case. Curious to see how the new pockets are (I have an iPhone XS Max)...canít decide between the 12 or 15 (MacBook Air is 11Ē and my Samsung tablet is 9.7Ē...I only carry one or the other).
    The MacBook Air 11" (I have one too) fits in the padded laptop compartment of the L15 but only in the main compartment of the L12 (I carry it with a neoprene sleeve). I have an Ipad Air which is also 9.7" and that fits comfortably in the laptop compartment of the L12. Your Phone will certainly fit in the bigger side pocket of the L15 (I tried it with my agenda which is a bit bigger even) but I am not sure about the L12 so maybe it is best to contact customer service as they can tell you for sure. But perhaps it is best to order both bags anyway and try them out...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I am crossing all my fingers that you will recover soon! Sounds really severe.

The MacBook Air 11" (I have one too) fits in the padded laptop compartment of the L15 but only in the main compartment of the L12 (I carry it with a neoprene sleeve). I have an Ipad Air which is also 9.7" and that fits comfortably in the laptop compartment of the L12. Your Phone will certainly fit in the bigger side pocket of the L15 (I tried it with my agenda which is a bit bigger even) but I am not sure about the L12 so maybe it is best to contact customer service as they can tell you for sure. But perhaps it is best to order both bags anyway and try them out...
    I would love to order both but the wallet says no, lol. Besides I would end up keeping them. After reading all the posts it sounds like the L15 would be the best fit for me...especially since my tablet has a case on it and I have a neoprene sleeve to carry it in (I can do without the sleeve).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to order both but the wallet says no, lol. Besides I would end up keeping them. After reading all the posts it sounds like the L15 would be the best fit for me...especially since my tablet has a case on it and I have a neoprene sleeve to carry it in (I can do without the sleeve).

I think the L15 would be a better bet as well. I've taken both out on short trips this week and the L12 is just... SO small. I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the best sort of outing for it since I can't get my stuff to fit quite the way I want. The L15 is a bit easier for me in this regard, especially width-wise. Good luck and I hope the one you choose works for you!