Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does TB keep retired designs and colors posted to their website?

Everytime I browse the site, I stare at discontinued bags and look at product photos for colors that are no longer in production and wonder why they're there. I understand if they don't want to get rid of the photos or products in case they bring them back, but they should hide them from the site, or at the very least, create a "retired designs" tab if people really want to view their backlog.

It's frustrating as a shopper if something catches my eye only to find out I can't get it. I know there is always the second hand market, but that's not something the official site should endorse, imo. They should list the products they have available for sale from their factory.
    Last edited by nolegrl; 02-11-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my observation, the retired designs that remain on the website are those that might occasionally make a comeback in a limited release.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also possible that the company can get some sense of demand for the retired colors by how many hits they get? Given the company's quality standards on fabrics, it is probably a supply chain that can't be switched on and off easily.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Everytime I browse the site, I stare at discontinued bags and look at product photos for colors that are no longer in production and wonder why they're there. I understand if they don't want to get rid of the photos or products in case they bring them back, but they should hide them from the site, or at the very least, create a "retired designs" tab if people really want to view their backlog.

It's frustrating as a shopper if something catches my eye only to find out I can't get it. I know there is always the second hand market, but that's not something the official site should endorse, imo. They should list the products they have available for sale from their factory.
    That's the exact opposite of my point of view, actually. I like seeing older designs so I can sense the changes and design trends as TB bags evolve. Having detailed information of retired designs makes it very easy to compare specs with newer bags, and if I see a retired bag that catches my eye, i'll know the model name so I can search for it on ebay or look in the TB forum's trading section.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    It's also possible that the company can get some sense of demand for the retired colors by how many hits they get? Given the company's quality standards on fabrics, it is probably a supply chain that can't be switched on and off easily.
    The retired colors aren't even selectable though, they're just shown in the product photos. Like they'll have a bag shown in burnt orange or verde, but you can't choose those colors anymore for that particular bag. I guess you could contact them and ask about it, but one inquiry isn't going to put a color back into production. Usually product colors are changed based on what color is selected in the option, and TB does that in the first few images, but everything is a stock image that doesn't update.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as I understand : some are definitely retired, some could come back, some will be produced when they can,
    for the two last cases the regular page is actually needed (in order to ask for notification)
    and for the first case maybe they just want to keep for reminder (and I personnally like this way)

It is simpler to let the 3 scenarii being handled the same way (IT/programming pov)
    unless the separation becomes really needed, I personnally don't think they have to change it (though it's true it is sometimes frustating :P)
    just a newly Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    That's the exact opposite of my point of view, actually. I like seeing older designs so I can sense the changes and design trends as TB bags evolve. Having detailed information of retired designs makes it very easy to compare specs with newer bags, and if I see a retired bag that catches my eye, i'll know the model name so I can search for it on ebay or look in the TB forum's trading section.
    There's nothing wrong with them being on the website, but they're in the same product section as available bags. I feel like they should be in a different section to separate them from what's actually available to purchase.

Like the nfd, for example. I'd love to buy one. But they're rarely on eBay (I have a search setup) and I don't want to trade anyone for it, I just want to buy it outright. The other issue is that it would probably sell for much more than it's worth because it's discontinued.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an 'Out of Production' link under the 'More' search menu to look at Retired designs... there is also the 'Everything We Make' link under the same menu that brings up everything on the site, including retired items.

Perhaps we simply need a 'Every Current Design' link so that it's easy to see what is actively In Stock or In Production, for when you don't want to search by type of bag.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    There is an 'Out of Production' link under the 'More' search menu to look at Retired designs... there is also the 'Everything We Make' link under the same menu that brings up everything on the site, including retired items.

Perhaps we simply need a 'Every Current Design' link so that it's easy to see what is actively In Stock or In Production, for when you don't want to search by type of bag.
    I like that idea.