Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A30 is my favorite bag, although even that gets heavy. It is really easy to live out of. In reality, most of my vacations lately have been long weekends, and I have ended up using my Western Flyer instead. It's slightly more manageable and there is a comfort in knowing it fits under the seat in front of me.

For really short trips I have also used: the Night Flight Travel Duffel (now discontinued; it's wonderful, like a mini-Aeronaut), or the Pop Tote (fits the Western Flyer packing cubes really well). Both of these bags are only around 20L, which is a challenge for me, but they are so super-light that I enjoy carrying them. I have thought of pairing one of those with a small backpack for a week-long trip. In theory that should be the equivalent of a 30 liter bag.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-16-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Oh, what CPAP do you use that fits well in a Pilot? I'm a CPAP user too and I've been considering getting a new one for travel.
    Check out the ResMed Air Mini! I've been using it for traveling for a couple of years and the size can't be beat. While I prefer a water reservoir on my every day CPAP, the condenser on the Mini is pretty good.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    What about the Brain Bag? I am also looking for a bag for one-bag traveling, and debating between BB and A30. Any advice? Thanks
    I haven't used a Brain Bag very much so I hope someone else will chime in, but one way to look at it is to consider your packing style. The Brain Bag has two flat compartments, the A30 has one large compartment plus two small ones. Which do you think would fit your packing better?

(That said, my two favorite travel bags are my A45 and my Western Flyer, so packing styles can be flexible.)

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    Check out the ResMed Air Mini! I've been using it for traveling for a couple of years and the size can't be beat. While I prefer a water reservoir on my every day CPAP, the condenser on the Mini is pretty good.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was going to reply more fully but I don't want to derail this thread, so I'm going to revive an existing thread about travel CPAPs and anyone interested can discuss them over here: https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...avel-cpap.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A30 + DLBP. Killer combo. Iím coming from Tristar+copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bgNWB View Post
    A30 + DLBP. Killer combo. Iím coming from Tristar+copilot
    Thanks! I do have (and love) a DLBP. Silly question...when you carry this combo, do you wear the DLBP as a backpack and carry the A30 as a duffel? What appeals to you about the A30 over the tri-star?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I haven't used a Brain Bag very much so I hope someone else will chime in, but one way to look at it is to consider your packing style. The Brain Bag has two flat compartments, the A30 has one large compartment plus two small ones. Which do you think would fit your packing better?

(That said, my two favorite travel bags are my A45 and my Western Flyer, so packing styles can be flexible.)
    I have looked at the Brain Bag, and aedifica hit the nail on the head: I'm not sure if the two flat compartments will work for me. I have an Osprey Nebula 34 liter backpack that is similar in general size to the BB, and it's good but not perfect, so I do think a convertible backpack/duffel will better meet my needs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Are you a plane traveller most of the time where you will have minimal walking to and from planes and hotels? If so, A30. If you are going to be walking a LOT to get to things, nothing beats the S25 backpack, although that would be going 20 liters smaller, might be kind of a stretch. The Western Flyer is a superb bag at 26 liters and is the most professional-looking bag of the ones you mentioned. Although I don't have any experience with the Pilot, it just seems like it would be too small.

For my mainly car trips of 4 days or more, I have an A30 that I use in combination with a Sidekick for my EDC. I also carry a Daylight Backpack in Halcyon that I roll up and stick in one end of the A30 for the "just in case I end up with too much stuff at the end of my vacation" scenario or if I want to go in backpack mode anywhere, like on a bike ride, etc. The Sidekick fits nicely in the bottom of the backpack with lots of room left over. The Sidekick also fits in the end pocket of the A30.
    Most of my travels are plane and car, sprinkled with some train travel and other public transit when I'm in Europe.

The pilot is too small to be a primary bag for me, though I have used it for a weekend of motorcycle travel (it fits perfectly in the panier!).

I have used my A45 4 or 5 times, each time cursing myself for overpacking! I've wondered if a combo of S25 or WF and Pilot might be a good combo for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk08 View Post
    Thanks! I do have (and love) a DLBP. Silly question...when you carry this combo, do you wear the DLBP as a backpack and carry the A30 as a duffel? What appeals to you about the A30 over the tri-star?

Yes! A30 duffel mode w absolute strap. And I was surprised but I find that the A30 is very comfortable as a duffel. That said Iíve not gone on major trips. Just 3-7 day trips domestically. I keep my valuables (except MacBook, which I have on top of the main compartment of A30 for pulling it out for TSA). Two reasons I like A30
    Over tristar, which Iíve had for 5+ years. Flexibility of packing and weight. I found tristar quite restrictive for packing because everything must be flat. Doesnít leave room for many things. Weight wise the bag itself Iíve always found too heavy (ballistic one) and when packed I always HAD TO wear it as a backpack as otherwise It would kill my shoulder pretty quickly. This is another reason why I went w A30 over A45. The larger one would be heavy when packed. I had ordered both aronauts and played w multiple configurations when mock packing and even my wife told me to forget about A45 as it would kill my back /shoulder. Capacity wise I think I am net same or better. Iíd travel w tristar 33L+ copilot 10L (i think?). Vs A30+DLBP 16L. I havenít done major walking w this setup. Just airports so I imagine if I had to do serious backpacking etc maybe Iíd prefer a30 on my back. But I can tell you the tristar was always heavy for me and I had to carry it on my back even in airport only use situations. I ordered many different spec bags and settled on ballistic nylon. I felt w the A30 The trade off w weight vs losing durability of ballistic nylon wasnít worth it. I am not a fan of halcyon and am glad they now have 210 ballistic nylon inside instead of halcyon. My edc copilot internals are destroyed from years of use. So the new kit is all ballistic inside (except a30). Other things I ordered that I find useful: a30 Laundry stuff sack. I love this thing. Iíve found it useful when I travel w my toddler. I stuff it w kids clothes then toys go in the kids backpack. Also got a30 laundry large cube and the side (small?) cube for my own T-shirtís/underwear. Oh as an aside, on rave reviews from one bag Reddit I picked up uniqlo underwear and tís. Amazing for packing efficiency! One other thing I picked up that I find useful is the large organizer pouch. If I need to travel w documents Iíll put them in a Large envelope then in the pouch and I put this on the bottom of the main compartment.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other piece of kit I have is a Scott-E-Vest. I think itís useful in pure one bag situation. I can put my documents, various electronics (iPhone, spare Android I give to my kid to use, spare battery pack, cables) in the vest and that way I can put the one bag in the overhead bin. Sorry to veer off topic but the other genius thing Iíve just recently discovered are tiny pill bags. Saves so much space for me for meds i take daily. Although this is probably only good for domestic trips. Itís prob best bet to take full bottles when going abroad?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Road Buddy. It's the perfect in between size at 36L. And light weight because it doesn't have any of the backpack stuff. It flies well.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this you, @1bgNWB?

A45 too big - other options?-reporter-s-vest-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk08 View Post
    It's the ResMed Air Sense 10. Not designed for travel, but it fit well enough in my Pilot. I got a drawstring closure padded camera bag to give it some protection. I stored the mask, tube, and power cord separately in packing cubes in the Aeronaut.

So my 2cents would be to keep the aeronaut 45, pack the CPAP into the 45 and get and internal frame as well as a packable daypack like the DLBP or a DLBC. The frame makes a big difference for me in terms of perceived weight and I really enjoy travelling with just one bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who responded. I wanted to close the loop on this and possibly help someone searching the forum with the same question I had.

I ended up with an Aeronaut 30, and I love it! When it arrived and I opened the box, my first thought was that it would be too small, and I had made a mistake in selling my A45. But I did a couple of practice-packs and the A30 is ideal. I can fit a more than adequate amount of clothing and other items in it, and it rests much more comfortably on my back than the A45 did. It's a much more comfortable size to carry with the handle or with a shoulder strap, and not so large that it's difficult to carry a second bag (a medium to large purse or a bag such as a Pilot or a Pop Tote).

So, in my experience and opinion, the Aeronaut 45 is HUGE. Mammoth. The Aeronaut 30 is a much more manageable size with plenty of room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2