Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me find a gym bag

Currently, I'm using the small zip-top shop bag, which is a tight squeeze (bigfoot sneakers...) Previously, it was the daylight backpack. Both are a little small. I've also tried a LSB (halcyon, no zipper), but I found it a little too floppy and I REALLY want a zipper.

I'm wanting something more along the lines of a tote or messenger bag than a duffle. I like having interior pockets for small things like socks, underwear, hair ties. In an ideal world I'd have pockets for my sneakers, too, and another compartment for a towel.

I'm considering a pop tote or a large zip-top shop bag. My main issue with the LZSB is that I already have a SZSB in black, and I don't want them to match (or I would constantly be showing up at the gym with the wrong bag), and the others look like... well, my shopping bags. I love the look of the pop tote but... no interior pockets? And is it big enough?

What I'd *really* like might be more along the lines of a zip-top truck, honestly. Unfortunately, the lack of zipper is probably a deal breaker.

Is there another bag I should be considering? What do you use?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me find a gym bag

Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    Currently, I'm using the small zip-top shop bag, which is a tight squeeze (bigfoot sneakers...) Previously, it was the daylight backpack. Both are a little small. I've also tried a LSB (halcyon, no zipper), but I found it a little too floppy and I REALLY want a zipper.

I'm wanting something more along the lines of a tote or messenger bag than a duffle. I like having interior pockets for small things like socks, underwear, hair ties. In an ideal world I'd have pockets for my sneakers, too, and another compartment for a towel.

I'm considering a pop tote or a large zip-top shop bag. My main issue with the LZSB is that I already have a SZSB in black, and I don't want them to match (or I would constantly be showing up at the gym with the wrong bag), and the others look like... well, my shopping bags. Help me find a gym bag I love the look of the pop tote but... no interior pockets? And is it big enough?

What I'd *really* like might be more along the lines of a zip-top truck, honestly. Unfortunately, the lack of zipper is probably a deal breaker.

I think you should consider a 210 Ballistic Zip Top Large Shop Bag, in anything but black, available for pre-order Feb 26. It won't be quite so floppy as Halcyon, it will give you a bit more room than the Pop Tote or Small Shop Bag, and in not-Black you won't get it confused with your black bag. What do you think?

Edited to add: here's the post with info about the upcoming preorders for Shop Bags, Luminaries, and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    This post will be updated as pages go live and more information is shared. You're welcome to ask questions and we'll do our best to answer them and share information that we can in advance of the debut.

February 12th - February 15th (date TBD due to winter storm snow days at the TOM BIHN headquarters)
    Pages (description, specs, photos, video) + blog posts for the following go live:
    Luminary 12
    Luminary 15
    Small and Large Zip-Top Shop Bag in 210d ballistic (Dawn, Viridian, Black, Island, Cloud, Coyote, Grass)
    Original Large Shop Bag in 210d ballistic (Dawn, Viridian, Black, Island, Cloud, Coyote, Grass)
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (updated with a new o-ring, shoulder strap option, and in 210d colors: Dawn, Viridian, Black, Island, Coyote, Grass
    The Truck in 210d ballistic colors (okay, you know this one by heart by now, but just to be clear: Dawn, Viridian, Black, Island, Cloud, Coyote, Grass)

February 26th
    Pre-order window opens for the following bags: Luminary 12, Luminary 15, Small and Large Zip-Top Shop Bags, Original Large Shop Bag
    These bags will be in-stock and ready to ship: Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, The Truck
    (note: orders including both pre-order and in-stock bags can be placed. more details here.)

March 5th
    Each bag will be available for pre-order from February 26th until March 5th OR until the maximum production batch quantity sells out. Then we'll begin making everyone's bags!

Late April - early May
    We expect to ship everyone's pre-orders by late April - early May.

Details + Information

Updates to the Luminary design + Pre-Production Batch Process
    A preview for our Forum community of an upcoming blog post. Photos of both Luminaries + behind-the-scenes details. List of the updates Tom made to the design. List of color combinations that will be made available for pre-order.

An update on the volume measurements of the new Luminaries
    There’s always been (and probably always will be) confusion over volume measurements.

As mentioned in that last link, we came up with our own variation on the ASTM standard and we updated the volume of the original Luminary (and only the original Luminary; the volume wasn’t updated for any other bags) from 12 to 10 based on that variation. After further consideration and review, we determined that our variation would likely cause more confusion, which was the opposite of our original intention. A standard is a standard for a reason.

The upshot: the original Luminary is back to being the Luminary 12 and we’re sticking with the same volume measurement standard we’ve used for the last quarter century.

Volume measurements will always be a little confusing because we make soft bags: the volume of a bag is determined by how much you under or overstuff it. That said, the volume measurements we provide are a great indicator of how much stuff you can generally fit in any bag. If you’re wondering if a specific item or items will fit in a specific bag and want more assurance than our specifications, photos, and videos can provide, please don’t hesitate to emailus@tombihn.com

Photo of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 210d ballistic, Black:

Attachment 21820

And in Dawn:

Attachment 21819

Preview Photos of the Luminary 12:

Attachment 21822

Preview photos of the Luminary 15:

Attachment 21823

Attachment 21815

The Truck in Coyote 210d ballistic:

Attachment 21816

Original Large Shop Bag in Coyote
    (I couldn't help it, I took this one home with me today!)

Attachment 21817

Small Zip-Top Shop Bag in Viridian
    (also could not help myself here: it's going home with me...)

Attachment 21821
    (note: this is not an especially accurate representation of the color Viridian!)
    Last edited by Cristina; 02-19-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    Since you're looking for a bag with more than one compartment as well as interior pockets I would consider the Road Buddy 36. Ok, it's not a tote and probably it's too big but it has all the other features plus a mesh compartment for wet things...

I often use a Small Yeoman Duffle with an A45 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack for the wet things, a Travel Stuff Sack for my toiletries and an A45 End Pocket Packing Cube for my shoes.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small Yeoman duffle is pretty great for a gym bag.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Pop Tote using bag-in-a-bag strategy could work, but it sounds like a PT might be too small. It's about 20L, I think, so I think a 36L Road Buddy wouldn't be excessively large. Honestly, it depends how large your towels are! A giant bath sheet fills a PT. An average hotel towel about half fills it. Those ultra-packable towels fit in a size 2 stuff sack, and leave plenty of room for sneakers and hair stuff. But if you're busting out of an SSB, a PT isn't so much bigger that it would be comfortable and organized.

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't have a zip, but I just wanted to give a shout-out to the Truck, which is probably the only tote whose internal compartments are large enough to accommodate shoes/towel etc. In 525 ballistic is stands up nicely by itself and isn't floppy at all, making access to contents really easy. Even if the central compartment has nothing it it, it doesn't collapse. I use this for my non-climbing gym excursions now: one end pocket holds my gym shoes, one holds water bottle, snacks, other small stuff, and the central pocket is empty to hold a change of clothes and my winter outerwear once I've shed it. For climbing gym excursions, which require more equipment, I use a Road Duffel, which accommodates a TON of stuff.

The Pop Tote pockets are practically worthless for anything larger than a small OP, in my experience.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a PT for my gym bag. I'm 5' 4" and wear a size 9 women's shoe. I don't wear makeup or delicate clothes, so take this with a grain of salt. As an engineer in CA, I get to wear jeans every day and casual shirts.

In the main compartment I have a physical therapy/yoga type strap, a stretchy band, and an Eagle Creek dopp kit in the bottom. On top I use a small/medium EC cube to hold my clothes and an EC shoe bag for shoes...

My water bottle is a leak proof Nalgene 16oz, so it just plunks on top.

In one outside pocket, I have a small halcyon OP on a leash with tampons,etc.

In the other outside pocket, I have a locker padlock & key and small packet of Kleenex. Often I put my Nik's wallet and Pixel phone in a side pocket too, when it's in the locker.

The PT is pretty full at this point. I can zip it closed, but I usually carry it on my shoulder as an open tote.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could configure the Yeoman Duffel (the way that @LordAnubis did by cutting up his wife's yoga mat and using glue) to get your own configured bag.

(This doesn't have to be your setup -- it was fairly fast to do and you could get your divided contents).
    A small or mini Yeoman Duffel can be shoulder carried fairly easily, although it's not a messenger bag option.