Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 12/15 vs. Synapse 19/25 vs. Daylight Backpack?

Excited about the new Luminary backpacks, but I'm curious as to how people are using these bags. I'm a die hard TB fan and I use different backpacks in different ways and wondering if the Luminary is right for me.

Love to hear your thoughts to how you're using these bags. Here's some of the stats for comparison:

Daylight: 15 oz, 16.5 liters
    Luminary 12: 1 lb 5 oz, 12 liters
    Luminary 15: 1 lb 8 oz, 15 liters
    Synapse 19: 1 lb 9 oz, 19 liters (without internal frame)
    Synapse 25: 1 lb 13 oz, 25 liters (without internal frame)

Here's how I use each bag:
    Synapse 25 with internal frame - used for travel to bring my laptop and other sensitive electronics that I can't check in, as well as other things I need on the flight (water, snacks, stuff for my kid, etc.)

Brain Bag - If i'm traveling overseas and/or need more capacity

Daylight - used as a daypack to bring small items around (camera, water, sunglasses) when I'm out sightseeing since it's small enough to put into my luggage, or I use an Eagle Creek packable daypack (folds into a small pouch). I'm wondering if the Luminary 12/15 will work here - a packable daypack that is light, but offers more organization, better shoulder straps, and more stability (the daypack has no structure).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear02 View Post
    Excited about the new Luminary backpacks, but I'm curious as to how people are using these bags. I'm a die hard TB fan and I use different backpacks in different ways and wondering if the Luminary is right for me.

Love to hear your thoughts to how you're using these bags. Here's some of the stats for comparison:

Daylight: 15 oz, 16.5 liters
    Luminary 12: 1 lb 5 oz, 12 liters
    Luminary 15: 1 lb 8 oz, 15 liters
    Synapse 19: 1 lb 9 oz, 19 liters (without internal frame)
    Synapse 25: 1 lb 13 oz, 25 liters (without internal frame)

Here's how I use each bag:
    Synapse 25 with internal frame - used for travel to bring my laptop and other sensitive electronics that I can't check in, as well as other things I need on the flight (water, snacks, stuff for my kid, etc.)

Brain Bag - If i'm traveling overseas and/or need more capacity

Daylight - used as a daypack to bring small items around (camera, water, sunglasses) when I'm out sightseeing since it's small enough to put into my luggage, or I use an Eagle Creek packable daypack (folds into a small pouch). I'm wondering if the Luminary 12/15 will work here - a packable daypack that is light, but offers more organization, better shoulder straps, and more stability (the daypack has no structure).
    Hi Gear02! I think you'll love these super in-depth reviews and comparison photos in the "Photos, Videos, and Reviews" section of the forums. Enjoy!

THE LUMINARY 15 BACKPACK: A Star Is Born!
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...star-born.html

Luminary 15 pReview
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...5-preview.html

On the bright side: Luminary 12 & 15 meet the Daylight Backpack
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...-backpack.html

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the links to the products mentioned will give you lots of helpful information. Here's how I use the bags that I own in that list:

Daylight backpack: This one serves primarily as a travel backpack that can pack flat. I like taking it to theme parks or on day outings to museums or short hikes when I'm traveling away from home.

Luminary 12 (Deep Blue/Cloud): This one is currently serving as my EDC. I can carry everything I need in it for daily life, including a bit of knitting or spindling. I love that the zipper allows me to slip in my TB #4 wallet. It's perfect for it!

Luminary 15 (Aubergine/Coyote): I am still getting familiar with this awesome bag, but so far I have used it for EDC if I am going somewhere in my day that requires I carry more than the 12 will allows. For example, I carried it this past weekend when I was starting out by heading to a bible study. I fit everything I had in my 12 into the 15 and then slipped in my bible study book and bible. Additionally, I carried a Zest size 3 TSS that held a spindling project. I spent the entire day out running errands and had everything I needed. This bag also has a zipper in the top, which allows me to have easy access to my #4 TB wallet. I will be taking it along with my A45 (Aubergine/Zest) this weekend when my husband and I fly to Nashville to go to the Grand Ol' Opry.

Synapse 19: Up until I received the Luminaries, this bag was my EDC. It's an old one (Cordura Navy/Ultraviolet). Truthfully, I'm not where it will fit in for my lineup right now, but it may be a bag I use to carry when I'm flying. I love how I can squish in a large knitting project along with my iPad and EDC items.

Synapse 25: I have the limited edition one with the internal frame, and I use it for longer hikes. The frame makes it very comfortable to carry for long distances over varying terrain. I have never used it for urban use--just hiking.

Hope this helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a DLBP from trade and haven't used it much yet...I figure it will be rolled up in a bigger bag when I do pure one-bag travel.

The L12 I used for light carry/urban adventures, like when I take the train into San Francisco and wander around all day.

I've used the L15 as EDC since I rec'd it a week plus ago...and it's on a trip with me now. I like it for EDC and urban adventures...I'll keep using my S19 when I have more volume to carry and/or when I need access to the many pockets...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! The Daylight vs Luminary was very helpful. It does look like the Luminary 15 may be a bit bulky to roll up into luggage for use on travel, at least compared to the Daylight...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gear02, yes exactly: the DLBP packs really very small and light. In her review Lia posted a picture where she put the L15 inside an Aeronaut (flat at the bottom of the main compartment). Rolling it up might also work but it certainly will be a lot bulkier than the DLBP.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever, I'm getting one - haven't gotten a new TB bag in forever (probably last year, but that's a while)