Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large shop bag or truck for versatility

Hello there. I was wondering about the truck, and if Iíd find it as versatile as the large shop bag. I donít have either. I recently bought 1 small shop bag (and may get one more). But I find myself needing something to carry stuff around the house, like laundry. I donít mean to sound like an old lady (Iím 36) but carrying stuff up and down three stories can be tiring (itís a skinny house). I donít have a car so I use public transportation when I buy groceries but generally I have a DLBP for that and I guess now the Small shop bag.

Thoughts on whether I should spring for a truck or a large shop bag?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the Truck and the large shop bag. I tend to use the Truck around the house and the Shop bags for, well, shopping.

For laundry, the Truck would be good.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-19-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Truck has internal dividers and no zip. The large zip top shop bag has.... a zip. The original large shop bag is retiring after the pre-order that opens on the 26th...

So it probably depends on what type of stuff you're going to routinely haul up & down the stairs and whether divided or not divided and zipped or not zipped, is important to you....
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large shop bag or truck for versatility

The biggest surprise for me with the Truck was the hard plastic bottom inside. You can't fold this bag up small and tuck it anywhere because it is large and it has a rigid base.

Personally I would go with a Large Shop Bag, zipper or no zipper, because you could also use it for shopping or whatever else when you aren't doing your laundry. I really like to close up my laundry bag so I would go with the zippered version.

But the truth, the real honest truth, about Shop Bags is: once you have one you will want another one. So, since you were asking about them the other day, you could get a small zippered one for shopping AND a large open one since this is the last time you'll be able to buy one before they're retired. If you can budget for three, a large zippered one would round out the set nicely! They all have their own strengths and they're all fantastic. So many people have said this, but it makes such a difference to try one in person, especially with those padded handles.
    Last edited by Cristina; 02-19-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, you have a point. As I live in the U.K., if I’m buying one, I need to think of how viable with shipping rates! I have a friend coming here from the states in March, and if the halcyon ones are available to purchase (currently they aren’t) I may get a large original in halcyon.

The info about the rigid plastic is super helpful, I think that makes a big difference if you can’t just collapse it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thanks, you have a point. As I live in the U.K., if I’m buying one, I need to think of how viable with shipping rates! I have a friend coming here from the states in March, and if the halcyon ones are available to purchase (currently they aren’t) I may get a large original in halcyon.
    The Original and Zip versions of Large Shop Bag will be available for pre-order next Tuesday (in Halcyon and in the 210 Ballistic colors), but the website says they'll ship in late April--which sounds like too late for your friend's visit. You might email the factory (emailus@tombihn.com) and ask if there's any way you could get one sooner. I don't know if they could get you one sooner or not, but it's worth asking!

And I agree, being able to collapse a bag makes a huge difference for some uses. I really like the Truck for some things, but it won't replace the Shop Bags for me because of that.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I actually queried the team about that. I thought only ballistic ones would be on pre order. Was told that was the intention but the system put it all on pre order due to colour names. Iíve asked if bags will still be available after feb 26th! My friend comes in the second week of March so could still use ground delivery if it ships normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thanks, I actually queried the team about that. I thought only ballistic ones would be on pre order. Was told that was the intention but the system put it all on pre order due to colour names.
    Oh, interesting! Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea. Good luck!

NoVA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different bags for different purposes. The truck is more rugged and, because of the dividers, can be packed to balance the load and to segregate things like milk, cooking oil, and wine bottles. But it doesn’t work well for some horizontal loads, such as pies. I shop with both. Two LSBs and a truckv