Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ballistic vs Halcyon shop bags

Hi there - just wondering, do any of you have a preference over ballistic or halcyon shop bags?

I'm going to order some halcyon shop bags to the States (a friend is visiting). But considering a separate order of a small ballistic shop bag for pre-order to myself (I live in the UK - the shipping isn't too bad for items under 50 but effectively am paying $14 more for a ballistic bag)

thanks!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think of my Halcyon shop bags as grocery bags and my ballistic shop bags as nice totes.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like @Bweaves definition... I will use both as grocery bags, but if I was doing something nicer/more formal, I would lean towards ballistic vs the current halcyon colours.
    This is partly why I have one of each in black ballistic, even though it's darker inside - it's hard to beat basic black if you need something very understated.
    Last edited by G42; 02-20-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black is the only shop bag I sent back because it was to dark inside. I like the bright or light colors because it's easier to find stuff in the interior.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black is the only shop bag I sent back because it was too dark inside. I like the bright or light colors because it's easier to find stuff in the interior. That's why I'm thrilled that the ballistic version is coming out in other colors.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For use as grocery bags, I prefer the Halcyon shop bags over the Ballistic ones ever since I was coming home in the rain one day with groceries in one Halcyon and one Ballistic bag, and noticed that the rain beaded up and ran off the Halcyon bag but slowly soaked into the Ballistic one. Also I can fold up the Halcyon ones more easily, though I haven't tried folding a Ballistic one recently and they may become easier to fold as the fabric softens with age.

I'm planning on buying a couple of the Ballistic bags soon anyway, though, because I like some of the new colors so much (Viridian! Cloud!). Don't get me wrong, the Ballistic ones are quite functional! The Halcyon ones just work slightly better for my purposes.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For grocery shopping I prefer Halcyon, mostly because they are lighter and fold smaller and I usually don't need to carry weirdly heavy or pointy things.

For transporting library books (both heavy and pointy!) I prefer Ballistic. I normally use my Pop Tote but I would like to grab a ZTSB in 210 Ballistic.

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried and failed to even get the hype of 200d halcyon shop bags, even in my fave TB color of all time: Zest. They just were too floppy and not sturdy enough given the price. I felt that a well made canvas tote would be much preferable to 200d halcyon at a fraction of the cost. Then there was a limited run of 400d halcyon shop bags in black and I purchased it on a whim. I fell in love because it just had enough of the structure that I wanted and was a much more muted color. When 210d ballistic was introduced and there was a then-limited run of an all-black shop bag, I purchased one as well. I don't know which one I like more, but I use both of them frequently to carry groceries or heavy and/or bulky items.

I don't fold them at all and they stay ready to go on an over-the-door hook right beside my EDC purse. I don't consider them on-the-go type of bags; I have more packable reusable bags for that, but the heavier shop bags are staple in my life day to day.

For me there is a marked difference in fabric weight and satisfaction of this design especially given that I don't experience much of a preference in materials/weight in most other TB bags or accessories. I will not even consider purchasing a 200d halcyon shop bag.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!