Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff Sack Question

Hello and Happy Friday TBers,

I would like to purchase a stuff sack (or 2) but I知 not sure of the sizing. For those of you that have them
    and use them, can you share the size you have and what you use it for or recommendations for usage?

Thanks in advance!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Icubed13, welcome!

I use the #1 size for holding Clif bars, a tissue pack, lip balm, etc. It's also good for holding smaller electronics, but I usually use a mesh 3D Organizer Cube for those instead. On my most recent trip, I used one for a pair of nice merino gloves that I didn't want to get snagged on things, when they were stashed in my new Luminary 15.

The #2 size can hold my raincoat rolled up, to keep it compact and easy to stash in my pack or A30. I have two of these (two different raincoats, don't ask) - and loop the cord around the coat hanger that holds the raincoat, so they're together and I don't misplace them.

The #3 I've used for misc. random things stuffed into a rolly bag, mostly for work trips.

The #4 holds my puffy winter jacket that I leave at my parents house in New England (I don't need it in the Bay area)

I own & use more of the square/rectangular packing cubes for the A30, the 3DOCs, etc., but the stuff sacks have their place in my organizing strategy...

Note, if you've never seen one, that they are oval on the bottom, not round - be sure to check out the product descriptions. I don't have any pros/cons about the oval shape vs round, but since most stuff sacks are round at the base, I figured I'd point it out.

I'm sure the Bihnions will chime in with all sorts of uses!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a size 1 that holds my laptop power brick, cord and tiny travel mouse. I've also used it to hold tea, sweetener and cups of coffee creamer for 4-5 days. I can usually stuff a Luna bar or two in there. I've also folded a bra around two pair of undies and that fit too.

My size 2 has a yarn project in it more than anything, and I recently discovered it fits a new/full spool of size 10 crochet cotton in the bottom with room on top... Aunt Lydias Classic Crochet Size 10 | Red Heart

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcubed13 View Post
    Hello and Happy Friday TBers,

I would like to purchase a stuff sack (or 2) but I知 not sure of the sizing. For those of you that have them
    and use them, can you share the size you have and what you use it for or recommendations for usage?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi! I use Travel Stuff Sacks regularly. I like to use them to colour-code items or just to make it easier to spot something in my bag.

Size 1: A pair of gloves for me (my gloves are black so this helps me find them in my bag. I can actually fit a complete outfit (top, leggings, undies and socks) for my 6 year old in a size 1. Or a set of cold meds and tissues.
    Size 2: normal (i.e. not super small-packing) hat, gloves, and neckwarmer. My packable jackets only just fit in a 2, if I am really tight with my rolling/stuffing
    Size 3: packable jackets fit well in a 3 for me even if I am packing it poorly
    Size 4: a thermarest pillow or a wool blanket for picnics

What sort of things are you wanting to put in your Stuff Sacks? Chances are someone here has tried it or something similar.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a good discussion about the sizes of the TSS here: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ks-review.html

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the thread @carrot linked, there was also a thread about this recently in the Facebook group. If you're in that group, you can search it for "travel stuff sack" and find the original post on 2/12/19 (currently 30 comments).
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the stuff sacks primarily to organize stuff in bags with no built-in organization such as the Yeoman Duffle (which I love!) or to protect things. It might sound strange but that is why I often use No. 2 oder 3 for carrying books. It also works the other way round e.g. when I go swimming. I then use the sacks to carry the wet stuff to protect all the other stuff. I like the oval profile as it makes it easier to pack them in flat shaped pockets such as the side pockets of the Aeronauts or to squeeze them in gaps. Here is an example configuration:

Stuff Sack Question-stuff_sacks-1-jpg

Stuff Sack Question-stuff_sacks-2-jpg
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone who replied. Your links, photos, and descriptions have helped tremendously. Think I’m going to go with a size 3 in Iberian!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size would someone recommend for the side pockets in an S19?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer1018 View Post
    What size would someone recommend for the side pockets in an S19?
    Size 1, but depends on how stuffed they are...

The new Ghost Whales in mini and small fit better, IMO
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in case anyone is wondering the same about the S25, a size 2 TSS fits in the S25's side pockets. If the TSS is stuffed full with my rolled-up cardigan, I have to squish it a bit to get the S25 pocket to zip shut but it does fit.