Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a thinner version of the ABS on Amazon.
    Search for "optech mini sos strap". I use this one with my pilot. The regular one is just too big for me.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    Related: I wish they'd make a slimmer version of the 'absolute' strap for use with a briefcase or smaller bag. The absolute strap is overkill for a briefcase, but it's hard to move from the stretchy strap to a normal one!
    Iím pasting in a quoted part of an old post I wrote to @anna2222 that gives both a comparison picture of the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap and the Absolute Strap, and also a link to buy it at Amazon. (You can ignore the information on the hack to use this strap, although it will work for other current bags like the Side Kick) Thereís also further discussion in that post that I am leaving out about using the Co-Pilot for clothing and travel and picture of which Packing cubes fit):

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post142633

I'll quote one of my old posts which shows the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap and the Absolute Strap:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @solo, I concur with the opinions that you should get the Absolute Shoulder Strap if your wife will be carrying a computer in that bag. (I'm just under 5'4" tall). If you think that the Absolute Strap is too bulky, I have also been using the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap with the Pilot, but the Absolute Strap will work for a wide range of heavier bags. OP/TECH makes the Absolute Strap for Tom Bihn. The "mini" is their smaller strap version for cameras, with a straight strap which is narrower. Since it's a camera neck strap it isn't long enough to comfortably use for shoulder carry if the user is really tall, but should be just fine for your wife. (Tall people have been known to extend the mini strap ends by hooking an extra Double Carabiner Clip at each end.) A number of forum users use the Mini S.O.S. strap for smaller bags like the Co-Pilot and Pilot that can be used to carry loads heavy enough that you want the relief of this design (e.g. 10-15 pounds), but where you don't need the Absolute strap (which people use to tote around 50-60 pound loads).

If you want to see a comparison of the two straps, here's picture from my post (#52) on how to hack the Field Journal Notebook so you can attach a Mini S.O.S strap:

The mini strap is attached to the FJN with a section of the wider Absolute strap shown beside it. Sorry, I don't have a convenient similar picture handy of the straps connected to the Pilot.

The original poster asked about ways to adapt the FJN, which was also being used to carry a full art kit inside, so that an Absolute Strap could be used in place of the default FJN strap, and was advised by other forum users that the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap would be a better match.

Note that of the Tom Bihn strap options I think the Absolute Strap would be your best choice, and it could also be used with much larger bags. You could try the Absolute Strap, and if you find it too bulky, fall back on the OP/TECH Mini. If you get a Side Effect, and there's any chance that you might carry this along on an airplane flight, then I strongly recommend that you get a pair of Double Carabiner clips as described in this post (#105 in The new Side Effect thread), which shows how you can turn this into an airline seat pocket bag, among other uses. You can order them from the drop down Parts Menu or see them on the Knitting Tool Pouch page. (I use the size #2 Knitting Tool pouch to store various ethernet and Thunderbolt adapters for my 13" MacBook Air).

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to close the loop as it were, since I forgot to answer it in this thread...

My new PCSBs arrived with the newer version of the 1" strap that has the thicker smoother webbing and the increased length to accommodate wearing over coats. The smoother webbing should be even friendlier to bare skin, reduce snag on clothes, etc.

Also, looks like TB fixed the item listings... the 5/8" strap is $3 and the 1" strap is $6

HTH

ETA: and in case anyone is wondering, the old shorter version of the strap with the older webbing is no longer available at all
    Last edited by G42; 03-06-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: the mini strap, I'm using this now on my briefcase. It's SO great. Thanks for sharing it all!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also just noting that I have two halcyon PCSBs that have been used heavily (a Steel Dynema one from circa 2013 was used for 2 years every day and a black halcyon just as much) and they still look brand new. I am not particularly gentle or careful, either.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve been trying to talk my mom out of carrying a heavy leather purse for years. Not sure what happened today but she opened my latest tb box and decided my new PCSB would work just fine. (And not a moment too soon because we were flying out for a vacation in a matter of hours).

I donít love the new attachment points but MY MOM IS CARRYING A TB PURSE!!!! That alone is miracle enough for me to love this thing forever.

Did I mention MY MOM ABANDONED HER LEATHER PURSE AND IS CARRYING TB?!!!!

MY!!! MOM!!!

*faints*

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post

Iíve been trying to talk my mom out of carrying a heavy leather purse for years. Not sure what happened today but she opened my latest tb box and decided my new PCSB would work just fine. (And not a moment too soon because we were flying out for a vacation in a matter of hours).

I donít love the new attachment points but MY MOM IS CARRYING A TB PURSE!!!! That alone is miracle enough for me to love this thing forever.

Did I mention MY MOM ABANDONED HER LEATHER PURSE AND IS CARRYING TB?!!!!

MY!!! MOM!!!

*faints*
    Yay! And you know what to get her for her birthday. MORE TB STUFF. ORDERING THE PCSB, shoulder strap confusion

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yay! And you know what to get her for her birthday. MORE TB STUFF. ORDERING THE PCSB, shoulder strap confusion
    I already have her large travel tray all set for her nightstand on the ship.

*Rubs hands together with glee*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2