Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New pouches

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    These are amazing! Love all the colours! I came to look at getting a DLBC, and while cruising the organisation options my eyes drifted over the mysterious words 'Ghost Whale' and I did a double take. Is there any idea what time these will go live? I'll put off my order till then....
    From @darcy: We're planning for 7:00am Pacific Time (give or take 10 minutes!)
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    From @darcy: We're planning for 7:00am Pacific Time (give or take 10 minutes!)
    Thank you so much, lizziejean3! Much appreciated. )
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my Ghost Whales arrived just today, I took a couple of quick shots to add to the excitement! I had to do this with artificial light, thus the pictures have a slight red tinge....

Here are the three sizes together: A5 (in Black Mesh), Small (Cloud 210 Ballistic), Mini (Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic).

New pouches-001-jpg

Here a comparison of A5 with a Side Effect and a 3D Organizer Cube.

New pouches-003-jpg

To me shape and name of the A5 are very suggestive for carrying books. And it is really great for that purpose: two paperbacks fit very nicely:

New pouches-005-jpgNew pouches-006-jpg

But of course, it also swallows other stuff such as two medium sized merino t-shirts.

New pouches-004-jpg

To get a better idea of the size of the Small and Mini I put them side to side to the small and mini Organizer Pouch:

New pouches-007-jpg

The Mini Ghost Whale has almost the same size as the Mini Organizer pouch while the Small Ghost Whale has almost the same height as the Small Organizer Pouch but is considerably smaller in width.

Due to its construction and the wide opening zipper the Ghost Whale swallows bulkier items much easier than the Organizer Pouch. First the Mini:

New pouches-010-jpgNew pouches-011-jpg

And the Small Ghost Whale (the smartphone is 5.8” x 3” / 147 x 74 mm).

New pouches-008-jpgNew pouches-009-jpg

I'm afraid the Ghost Whale is one of those items that you never can have enough of...
    Last edited by bartleby; 02-27-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: mini GW is 525 Ballistic not 210
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    I am seeing all kinds of uses for the mini, with dimensions of 3x5, business cards, wallet, holder for the Samsung T5 external hard drive...
    I'll post pics later after work (I'm on west coast time), but the 3x5" index cards do not fit inside the mini without creasing. There are seams on the inside that interfere.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Amazing array of choices, what great news!

I am, however, suffering from Analysis Paralysis.

What colors and sizes in which fabrics is everyone else going to get? I was thinking maybe 525 for an A5 size and 210 for a mini.
    I set two criteria to narrow down my options: bright colors I can find easily in my black PT, and preferably colors I don't have yet. So I'm thinking Mars Red and Burnt Orange. Although I'd really like to try something in Coyote, and that would give me a chance to try it in 210 as well as 525 Ballistic...

Also, those colors might clash with the Dawn lining of my L15, so maybe I need Deep Blue, too.

So I've got it down to four colors. But prudence tells me one for the L15 and one for the PT is plenty for now, so I'll have to eenie-meenie-miney-mo it.

I LOVE these as an alternative to the pen/pencil organizer pouch, which is unnecessarily long for me, and is a tight fit in the L15 tall pocket. I also love the chance to choose a color!

Edited to add: Acronym is now GWP?
    Last edited by Lia; 02-25-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Sunny Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choices, choices... What size will fit the side pocket of L12?

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am, however, suffering from Analysis Paralysis.
    Same here! I'm debating which size I'll use the most. My mini OP is underutilized because of the zipper configuration, so I'll get a lot of use out of the GW mini. I wish I had more small OPs, so I'd definitely use the small.

I like the A5, but can't think of a use right now. But if I did order one I'll use fabric to narrow down color, like you have. Nebulous or burnt orange because I don't have them.

Which colors for the smaller ones? I like colors I don't already have for ease of identifying pouches. Buuut grass and viridian, which I adore, will be discontinued. And then there's coyote mesh. I've never had a mesh pouch, maybe it'd be useful? Choosing would be so easy if I ignored my budget.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to have a whole pod of Ghost Whales! It's already my favorite pouch, and I think the A5 and minis will be great additions.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I'll post pics later after work (I'm on west coast time), but the 3x5" index cards do not fit inside the mini without creasing. There are seams on the inside that interfere.
    mGW in Grass... note that a 3x5" index card doesn't fit well. The seams/trim from the zippers take up space inside. In particular, the lower right hand corner is the most obstructed because of the curved zipper section and it's obviously more cramped on the mGW vs the sGW or the A5GW.

With all that being said, these are great little pouches!!!! I like the funkyness and the bit of 3D real estate. I also really like the curved zip because it really does impact how you open/use and keeps things from falling out as easily.

Now the hard part is...what sizes and colours to add to tomorrow's order.... I'm really liking the mGW in Grass btw, it's such a happy shot of colour and not overwhelming in this size. Same reason why I'm getting a small Grass Shop Bag but not a large in Grass...

New pouches-img_20190225_172943-1-jpg
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingslower View Post
    Choices, choices... What size will fit the side pocket of L12?
    On the ORIGINAL L12, the mini fits in the side pockets and all sizes fit in the back padded pocket.
    I don't have an updated L12

On the L15, both mini & small fit the side pockets and all sizes fit in the back padded pocket.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many A5s do you think would fit in a PCSB? Looking at the dimensions, they would have to be turned sideways, but should fit. I’m wondering if they would be a good solution for questions in this thread. Mostly just because I want the new sexy if I can have it instead of something else.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmcclellan View Post
    How many A5s do you think would fit in a PCSB? Looking at the dimensions, they would have to be turned sideways, but should fit. I’m wondering if they would be a good solution for questions in this thread. Mostly just because I want the new sexy if I can have it instead of something else.
    Yowzer! 4-8 depending on how full they are

This is a stack of three large books and my one A5GW inside a Monarch PCSB... the stack is about 4" high, which is technically taller/thicker than the ID of the PCSB, because this stack of items doesn't take up all the vertical dimension, so there's room for the PCSB to expand greater than the 3.1 spec'd front to back dimension, if you follow...

ETA: The GWs aren't 3D enough to be used for the stash of clothing from that thread... comfortably, they're about an 1" or so deep/thick on the A5GW

New pouches-img_20190225_180634-1-jpg
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone with an A5 Hobonichi test out the new GW pouch?

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm particularly excited about this new A5 development, because i have a rhodia goalbook that i use as my bullet journal, and i love the idea of putting it in a pouch with a few pens and maybe another notebook, just to keep everything safe and sound. and the mini is pretty great too, because i am quite the lip balm connoisseur. ha!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Yowzer! 4-8 depending on how full they are

ETA: The GWs aren't 3D enough to be used for the stash of clothing from that thread... comfortably, they're about an 1" or so deep/thick on the A5GW
    I was thinking having one A5GW per kid (3) with one outfit laid as flat as possible (definitely not rolled) could be cool. But this is probably just the wishful thinking and lusting after new tb gear. The CQPC is probably a better fit for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast