Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New pouches

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    Can anyone with an A5 Hobonichi test out the new GW pouch?
    If you let me know the actual dimensions (there seem to be many Hobonichi variants) I can try to find a similar sized book to test... I've never actually seen a Hobonichi in person
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmcclellan View Post
    I was thinking having one A5GW per kid (3) with one outfit laid as flat as possible (definitely not rolled) could be cool. But this is probably just the wishful thinking and lusting after new tb gear. The CQPC is probably a better fit for me.
    It would probably only work for baby onsie sized stuff without really distorting and turning into an egg...

But if it's a REASON you're looking for.... and maybe some ENABLING from us will help... then I think an A5GW to keep your folded papers, coupons, kindle, postage stamps, pens, pencils, markers, tissue packet, spork, chopsticks, comb, checkbook, postcards, day passes, permission slips, stickers, etc. etc. away from the small people and their potentially damp clothing is a FINE IDEA
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have to pick a small one up tomorrow when I order a PCSB just as a small treat for myself.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If you let me know the actual dimensions (there seem to be many Hobonichi variants) I can try to find a similar sized book to test... I've never actually seen a Hobonichi in person
    Lol! That’s how it starts!

8.25”x6ish for the A5 Cousin
    6”x4” for the A6 Techo

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    Lol! That’s how it starts!

8.25”x6ish for the A5 Cousin
    6”x4” for the A6 Techo
    (carefully avoids gazing at Hobonichi... must not pick up *another* obsession)

Here's a pack out:

unopened package of TB Field Journal paper 8.5 x 5.5 x 0.5"
    Moleskine Cahier Large 8.25 x 5.0 x 0.125"
    Nanami Cafe Note B6 Slim 6.93 x 4.33 x 0.6"

The full stack fits in the A5GW, though removing the Moleskine feels better for fit... max 1" thick feels comfy for this pouch

Your 6" wide A5 Cousin will be fine, even though my stack is a tad narrower...you should get 6" before the zipper seam starts getting in the way

New pouches-img_20190225_202140-1-jpg

I wouldn't go taller than 8.5" if you want the zipper to close without a lot of fuss

New pouches-img_20190225_202224-1-jpg

This is all three - fits without really distorting, but I wouldn't go much thicker at that width

New pouches-img_20190225_202243-1-jpg

The pouch is flexible enough that the total volume can shift a bit in the depth and width to accommodate some different shapes... I think you can put both your journals in at the same time, as long as they aren't much thicker than 1" combined...

ETA: Note that this is Dawn 210 ballistic... the 525 ballistics may fit a bit tighter until they break in/loosen up... I don't have one to try

HTH
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray! Thank you so much that means it’ll be perfect for what I need.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmcclellan View Post
    I was thinking having one A5GW per kid (3) with one outfit laid as flat as possible (definitely not rolled) could be cool. But this is probably just the wishful thinking and lusting after new tb gear. The CQPC is probably a better fit for me.
    I was thinking that an A5 size would be good for a small coloring book or drawing pad and markers or pens. I was also thinking a Mini would be great for a set of mini markers that fit a Mini OP but the opening of a GW pouch would suit better.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Since my Ghost Whales arrived just today, I took a couple of quick shots to add to the excitement! I had to do this with artificial light, thus the pictures have a slight red tinge....
    [...]
    Really helpful, Thanks!
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thanks so much. I'm interested in the A5 size. I carry a Leuchtturm A5 notebook (very similar to the Moleskine). Depthwise, will one of those notebooks fit with room for other accessories, such as pens? This would be super-helpful to know! Thanks so much.

Also, for those who got the forum gift: Will eyeglasses IN A CASE fit in the small size?
    My answer is the same as @anna2222's re: eyeglasses -- I have glasses in the Côte et Ciel eyewear pouch inside the small Ghost Whale Pouch, and can zip it up all the way except across the top. For the A5 Notebooks, I am using the retired Aether Stowaway Cubes, which allow me to fit two in the back of the L12, easily stacked (the Kindle Paperwhite or Voyage can fit in front of a Leuchtturm A5 Notebook horizontally at the bottom, and I can store writing implements). Haven't seen the A5 size Ghost Whale Pouch in person, but I think it is larger -- probably can't stack two in the back pocket of an L12 to maximize the vertical space use?

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that they come in mesh! I love being able to see inside my pouches (so I like clear pouches too).

And although I got mesh this time around, I love being able to pick a color!
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    I love that they come in mesh! I love being able to see inside my pouches (so I like clear pouches too).

Yup. I'm thrilled about the mesh so I have them coming in both Coyote and Black. Woot!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post

@K9TB and @tebnewyork,

I ordered one with the Coyote Mesh -- I use the Coyote Mini Mesh Organizer pouches for carrying around my bag hacking accessories, and I find the mesh softer than the black mesh (but that might have had more to do with when the product was ordered, since "older" stock of both mesh and Ballistic Nylon fabric can be more pliable. It's also easier to pick out black clips, etc. from against the Coyote background. I haven't seen them make this size in the Tom Bihn line of Coyote pouches for quite a while.

New pouches-organizer-pouch-mesh-mini-coyote-ballistic_746c49cb-954f-464d-a2ad-00a5cad3d7f4-jpeg
    (Coyote Mesh Mini Organizer Pouch -- to be matched with the Coyote Mesh of my Ghost Whale Pouch order)

@G42,

Do you have an impression of how the A5 size GWPs might do in making use of the L12 and L15 back pocket? Could you stack two of these and have them fit in horizontally, one on top of the other? See my post (#1733 dated 02-22-2019) asking about this. (There's also an included picture of the open Stowaway Aether Cubes holding an A5 notebook and pens/pencils that I won't repeat here)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy, Has anyone tested the A5 size Ghost Whale Pouch in the back pocket of the Luminaries? Because my current solution for using that back pocket for other items (not large iPads or laptops) is to use two of the (retired) Stowaway Aether Packing Cubes (can fit them one on top of another in the back pocket of both size Luminaries). Each of these can also hold an A5 notebook -- e.g., I'll cite previous forum photos posted): (this was from my 04-16-2018 post (#2220) in the Your Photos are Needed thread)

If there's a current pouch solution that can organize the back compartment of the Luminaries for non-laptop use, that would be better.

moriond

ETA:

This shows two Stowaway Aether Packing Cubes stacked one on top of another, that can be slotted into the back pocket of the Luminary and easily slid out. They can hold an A5 notebook, and a Kindle (long direction of a Paperwhite or Voyage will even fit in the short direction of the Aether Packing Cube, and sit on top of an A6 notebook, leaving room for writing utensils) -- could also hold a sketchbook or diary.) This is the Luminary 15, but you can also slot two such pouches into the Luminary 12 back pocket -- to understand this, realize that the stacked pouches are slightly less in length than a 13" Retina MacBook Pro (touchbar) in size, and that laptop fits into the main compartment of either Luminary. The fact that these are two separate pouches lets you maneuver them into the back pocket, where you could not fit the 13"rMBP into the Luminary 12 back pocket because it is a single block.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@G42,

Do you have an impression of how the A5 size GWPs might do in making use of the L12 and L15 back pocket? Could you stack two of these and have them fit in horizontally, one on top of the other? See my post (#1733 dated 02-22-2019) asking about this. (There's also an included picture of the open Stowaway Aether Cubes holding an A5 notebook and pens/pencils that I won't repeat here)
    When I get home after work, I'll see if I can estimate what it will look like for the new L15... for the L12, I have the original bag, but it should be the same back pocket as the new version...

I only have one A5GW right now, but I did order a Nebulous to go with my Dawn, so if I can't get a good enough read later today, I can check in about three days when my order of GWs & PCSBs comes in.
    I'm fortunate to be in the $10 shipping zone and it takes three days, so if TB isn't completely swamped, I should get the shipment on Thursday
    Last edited by G42; 02-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    When I get home after work, I'll see if I can estimate what it will look like for the new L15... for the L12, I have the original bag, but it should be the same back pocket as the new version...

I only have one A5GW right now, but I did order a Nebulous to go with my Dawn, so if I can't get a good enough read later today, I can check in about three days when my order of GWs & PCSBs comes in.
    I'm fortunate to be in the $10 shipping zone and it takes three days, so if TB isn't completely swamped, I should get the shipment on Thursday
    My guess is that the answer is going to be no, based on how much room is around the A5 notebook inside the largest GWOP (take a look at the fit of an A5 notebook in the Stowaway pouches).
    Also, they did tweak the design of the new L12 so that the back seam on the right side and the zipper placement on the left gives a little more room to the back pocket fit. It's enough so that I can fit both of the Stowaway Cubes into the new L12, but that putting a second one that is also completely filled with an A5 journal at the top as well as the bottom doesn't quite fit for the original Luminary, whereas it does work for the new L12. With the Aether cubes, if you don't completely fill the top cube, you can still slide it into the original L12. Or, you could put a 3DOC on top of the bottom packing cube. The picture I took hides the webbing loop at the top (it's visible in the excerpted picture someone else posted of using the Stowaway Cube for A5 notebook and pens/pencils), but that makes it easier to pull out from the zipper side.

I should add that the redesigned L12 also has slightly more interior space than the original Luminary. If I measure the largest distance from the back of the bag to the front along the bottom it is about 4.25" for the the original Luminary and about 4.75" for the L12.

HTH

moriond

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have an impression of how the A5 size GWPs might do in making use of the L12 and L15 back pocket? Could you stack two of these and have them fit in horizontally, one on top of the other?
    @moriond, I just tried this (put an A5 GWP in the back pocket of each size of Luminary, used my finger to mark the place, and then slid the GWP over to see if I would be able to fit two GWPs into the space.

Result:
    Luminary 12: The A5 GWP fits horizontally across the L12 in the bottom of the back pocket, but the back pocket narrows slightly as it goes up so the A5 GWP is wider than the top of that pocket. So no. Well, it would be no anyway; see below.

Luminary 15: Yes, just barely! Two A5 Ghost Whale Pouches stacked the way you showed will just about exactly fill the back pocket from top to bottom. If the GWPs are packed with slightly thicker objects so they aren't quite as wide (tall), it will be an easier fit.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast