Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikís Minimalist Wallet Wishlist

I recently upgraded my wallet from a TUMI bifold to a Nikís #3. Overall, I am loving it. After several days in the pockets, there are a few additional options I'd love to see in a future version.

A #3 with two fabric pockets
    I went with #3 because I love having the outside pocket to hold my primary Credit Card. However, Iím not a huge fan of the clear urethane pocket. Itís an easy way to present your ID But, in practice, I am rarely presenting my ID in a scenario in which I donít need to fully remove it from wallet (e.g. scanning in TSA line, showing bouncers at music events or bars, etc).

The urethane pocket is slightly taller than the fabric so itís a tad more difficult to remove a quickly when needed.

Also, in every wallet Iíve owned previously, any clear sleeve meant for an ID quickly became dirty and stained from grease and whatever else your ID soaks up over time. Scrunch Face

The fabric pocket also makes the look and feel of the interior much cleaner.

Thicker ballistic options
    This might be a manufacturing limitation, but Iíd love for the wallet to come in as thick as ballistic as possible. Even with a healthy number of cards, there is a fair amount of loose fabric that gives the wallet a non-premium feel. The added structure of a thicker ballistic might minimize this effect. Like it does in a lightly packed Aeronaut. Itís notably worse on the side with the clear urethane pocket so maybe this is moot if there is an all fabric option at some point. Wink Even so, think Iíd still like a little more weight.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by areohbe View Post
    A #3 with two fabric pockets
    I went with #3 because I love having the outside pocket to hold my primary Credit Card. However, Iím not a huge fan of the clear urethane pocket. Itís an easy way to present your ID But, in practice, I am rarely presenting my ID in a scenario in which I donít need to fully remove it from wallet (e.g. scanning in TSA line, showing bouncers at music events or bars, etc).
    We've had requests for a #3 with fabric pockets from a few other folks here too and via email/social media. It makes a lot of sense to us and it's on Nik's list to make a Wallet #5 -- which is a Wallet #3 with all fabric pockets. He's currently working on some other design projects and doesn't want to shift focus to wallets right now (lest he lose his place in his current design work) so it'll probably be sometime this summer that the #5 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by areohbe View Post
    Thicker ballistic options
    This might be a manufacturing limitation, but Iíd love for the wallet to come in as thick as ballistic as possible. Even with a healthy number of cards, there is a fair amount of loose fabric that gives the wallet a non-premium feel. The added structure of a thicker ballistic might minimize this effect. Like it does in a lightly packed Aeronaut. Itís notably worse on the side with the clear urethane pocket so maybe this is moot if there is an all fabric option at some point. Wink Even so, think Iíd still like a little more weight.
    We think the Wallets would look nice in 525d too, but it is sadly a manufacturing limitation: the 525d is just too thick/stiff to make the wallets in an easily manufacturable way.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We've had requests for a #3 with fabric pockets from a few other folks here too and via email/social media. It makes a lot of sense to us and it's on Nik's list to make a Wallet #5 -- which is a Wallet #3 with all fabric pockets. He's currently working on some other design projects and doesn't want to shift focus to wallets right now (lest he lose his place in his current design work) so it'll probably be sometime this summer that the #5 comes out.

We think the Wallets would look nice in 525d too, but it is sadly a manufacturing limitation: the 525d is just too thick/stiff to make the wallets in an easily manufacturable way.
    Would it be possible to offer that wallet #5 in Original Halcyon? At least for one batch? I would love an Original Halcyon wallet before that fabric is retired. Iíd take a different version too, Iím not picky when it comes to that. I think theyíre all nice.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Would it be possible to offer that wallet #5 in Original Halcyon? At least for one batch? I would love an Original Halcyon wallet before that fabric is retired.
    Yes! Add my to the list!

Forum Member
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I vote for original halcyon as well!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if Original Halcyon Nik's Wallets happen, I hope they happen in style 4!