Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I just tried it: The A5 rest nicely at the bottom without pulling the O-ring down.
    Thank you! I love O-rings and pouches but one of the downsides of the lighter weight bags (like a halcyon DLBP, or shop bags) is that heavier pouches can pull the side of the bags down with them.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Thank you! I love O-rings and pouches but one of the downsides of the lighter weight bags (like a halcyon DLBP, or shop bags) is that heavier pouches can pull the side of the bags down with them.
    I totally agree and the placement of the O-rings in the DLBP is ideal in my opinion. But it also depends on what else you carry inside the pouches and the bag. I would guess that if you just carry a heavy loaded A5 attached to the O-ring and nothing else in the DLBP some pulling will occur. I'd rather put the A5 in the lower back pocket then.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Since it is a lazy and rainy Sunday I illustrate the issue with some photos. The A5 GW is packed with two paperbacks. I turned the DLBP inside out so the dimensions are better visible: If attached to one of the O-rings the A5 rests at the bottom of the bag.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-misc_packing-1-jpg

When you lift it at the top handle, there is still no substantial pulling visible despite the fact that the A5 pushes the bottom of the bag a little downward.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-misc_packing-3-jpg

Frontal view (you can see the contour of the A5 as it pushes against the front panel):

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-misc_packing-5-jpg
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GE went on hiatus right around the time I bought my first TB bag (S25 in Mars). I was thinking of putting my eyeglasses case in a small GW so I could tether it to an o-ring. Just a regular-sized case for switching between sunglasses (not wrap arounds) and regular specs.

Does anyone know if the small GW would be big enough?

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    The GE went on hiatus right around the time I bought my first TB bag (S25 in Mars). I was thinking of putting my eyeglasses case in a small GW so I could tether it to an o-ring. Just a regular-sized case for switching between sunglasses (not wrap arounds) and regular specs.

Does anyone know if the small GW would be big enough?
    A standard sized glasses case will fit in a small GW (that is what I use mine for), but does not close across the top.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know. I’m less concerned about zipping the top. My main goal would be to tether the case.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used the A5 to carry an iPad mini? I'm curious if there's enough room for a cased iPad, or does it have to be naked to fit...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Has anyone used the A5 to carry an iPad mini? I'm curious if there's enough room for a cased iPad, or does it have to be naked to fit...
    Yes! I have a pic of my iPad mini in a thick case here:

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Ghost Whale Size Comparison

Mini GW

First things first: the Mini Ghost Whale size is fantastic! It is similar is size to a Mini OP but the curved zipper and different seams make the contents more accessible.

For long thin things that take up the entire length of a Mini, I would prefer the GW. Like these Bic Kids mini markers:

Or these Bic Mini 4 Color pens, which actually fit in with the mini markers:

Those all also fit in a Mini OP but it's a chore to get them in and out. Much easier in the GW.

Small GW

The Small GW is tall and narrow in shape, the same width as a Mini GW but taller. It is similar in size to a Small OP but not quite as wide.

The Iberian Small OP contains my first aid kit. The increased accessibility provided by the zipper means that tiny items (individual Dramamine tablets, for instance) might fall out, so I'm keeping my first aid kit in its Small OP. The Small GW would better suit pens and pencils or maybe some mascara/eyeliner/concealer. Like the Mini, I think it's best for items that take up more of the length.

The Small GW fits comfortably even in the smallest outer pocket of the Parental Unit:

A5 GW

The A5 is similar in size to a Medium OP (please ignore the two split rings on my Azalea Clear Medium OP, I sewed those on myself to make it a seat-back iPad Mini case :-)

The A5 GW is slightly smaller in 2-D space than a Medium OP but it can take my stupidly thick iPad Mini case as it has more depth.

It also holds a small stack of Field Journal Notebook paper easily. In fact, the whole A5 GW fits in the FJN!

Actually, a great use for a Small GW would be as a pen/pencil pouch in a FJN.

Thoughts on 525 vs 210

Now that I have both, I prefer 525, even for the smaller sizes. The Small Island GW has little... I don't know, distortions is maybe the right word, from keeping markers in it. I don't know if these little bumps will flatten out now that the pouch is empty, they might. (Edited to add: they have)

I prefer a slightly more robust fabric for these as the zipper already provides such easy access to the contents.

After receiving these and seeing them first hand, I immediately added several Mini ones to my preorder, all in 525.

Hope this helps someone!

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Cristina, it looks like there could be a beefy case on that, like an Otterbox, and still fit...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Thanks @Cristina, it looks like there could be a beefy case on that, like an Otterbox, and still fit...
    The case in the pic is a Snugg360 which gives the iPad mini around the same thickness as an Otterbox. I believe it would fit fine! I have an Otterbox somewhere, I can double check it in about 7 hours or so.

Edited to add: yes my very old Otterbox and iPad mini fit in the A5 Ghost Whale.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-29-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2