Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions

Happy new pouches!

A5 in Dawn.... I had these same items in a medium OP. The tallest journal is much easier to get in & out of the A5GW than the medOP.

I like the 210 ballistic, but if I was concerned with jamming this into a tightly packed bag, etc., the 525 would add more structure.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_132754-1-jpg

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_132826-1-jpg
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small in black mesh... typical tools/misc I bring with me to factory trials

The mesh is fine, but I prefer the 210 ballistic... I like the smooth surface & generally remember what I packed into each container, so I don't need to see into the container.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_132524-1-jpg

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_132438-1-jpg
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mini in Grass.... random toiletries I usually have in my office drawer.

This size can also hold my merino Buff rolled/folded... it doesn't hold 3x5 index cards without bending due to the interior seams.

This size and the Small would be great for on-the-go small medical kits.

As with the other sizes, I prefer the suppleness and lightness of the 210 ballistic.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_131532-1-jpg

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-img_20190225_131632-1-jpg
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have been using my forum gift (small GW) I have been thinking that a shorter one would be a great size. A medical kit even smaller than the one I already have in a Small OP would be great for the smallest front pocket of a Synapse! Or for stashing anywhere really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! My new Ghost Whale pouches just arrived a few minutes ago, I'm figuring out what I will put in each one.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Very nice! My new Ghost Whale pouches just arrived a few minutes ago, I'm figuring out what I will put in each one.
    But what colors did you get? :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    But what colors did you get? :-)
    I asked for Cloud, Viridian, and Black Mesh, and let them choose which size would be which color. What I got was mini Viridian, small Cloud, and A5 Mesh. I really like this assortment!

(To others reading who might be puzzled how I let the Tom Bihn crew choose: these are my preview copies as a volunteer moderator, so I "ordered" by email instead of through the website. Volunteer moderators get early copies of some new items so we can help answer your questions about the new things!)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks, I thought I just add a few pictures to answer the question "where does it fit?". To me this is especially important regarding the GW A5. Most interesting to me is how it fits in the outside pockets of my luggage. So here we go: This time I loaded my GW A5 with an A5 notebook and some pen and pencils in my pen/pencil COP (which - by the way - fits nicely into the A5):

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-001_gw-jpg

First the Road Buddy 36. It seems as if the GW A5 was meant to be put in the exterior pocket of that bag! Fits snugly!

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-002_gw-jpg

Now the Aeronaut 45. It does fit but it is a bit tight. Might work a bit better with a Ballistic A5 as the rough surface of the Mesh makes it a little difficult to push the pouch inside the bag.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-004_gw-jpg

Next the Tristar: It fits nicely in the middle of the exterior pockets (and of course in the top pocket as well).

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-005_gw-jpg

Now for the over organizers like me: The A5 pairs very well with the Freudian Slip for the small and medium Cafe Bag:

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-008_gw-jpg

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-009_gw-jpg

To round it up some shots of the small and mini GW. Here they are inside the designated pockets of the Road Buddy 36 attached to individual o-rings (how I love these details!):

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-003_gw-jpg

The mini GW in the interior zippered pocket of the Luminary 15 (yes, you can close the zipper):

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-006_gw-jpg

And finally, the small GW in the small exterior pocket of the Synapse 25 where it barely fits. Might be difficult to close the zipper if you have something very stiff like a spectacle case in the pouch.

Ghost Whale Pouches - first impressions-007_gw-jpg
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    To round it up some shots of the small and mini GW. Here they are inside the designated pockets of the Road Buddy 36 attached to individual o-rings (how I love these details!):

Um, I think that's the first time I've ever seen the small pockets INSIDE the Road Buddy!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I love that! I hadn't thought of trying my small GW in the Road Buddy yet, but this looks like they are the perfect fit for those inside pockets. I haven't really used mine so far because I didn't have any organizers that fit into them. I'm really glad I have another small GW on the way to me now.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Um, I think that's the first time I've ever seen the small pockets INSIDE the Road Buddy!
    and the great thing is: there are four of them...
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I love that! I hadn't thought of trying my small GW in the Road Buddy yet, but this looks like they are the perfect fit for those inside pockets. I haven't really used mine so far because I didn't have any organizers that fit into them. I'm really glad I have another small GW on the way to me now.
    Oooh! When mine arrive I will have to try them out in my RB too! In fact, I think that I will also try all my other and various small pouches as well.......usually I just put little bits and bobs in these pockets rather than pouches, but this might work very well for me. Thank you

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Once the A5 pouch is clipped into the O-ring on the side of the main compartment in the Daylight Backpack (such as shown in the pictures of the A5 on the TB website), does the bottom edge of the pouch touch the bottom of the DLBP? That is, if you have a filled A5 pouch clipped there, does it rest nicely on the bottom of the DLBP or does it pull the O-ring down a bit?

Thanks everyone for the helpful pictures so far!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not known what to use the GW for when I got it. Inspiration came to me today:

(1) Makeup brushes, to protect the bristles in my makeup bag, and also prevent the powder from falling all over everything else

(2) First aid kit - I usually store these in a mini clear OP. But the plastic packaging tend to stick to the polyurethane. In the GW, I can see what's there and they fit comfortably.

(3) Stationery to carry in my DLBP

Finally settled on option (1) for now, but I wish for brighter colours. Now to decide on what colour and size.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Question: Once the A5 pouch is clipped into the O-ring on the side of the main compartment in the Daylight Backpack (such as shown in the pictures of the A5 on the TB website), does the bottom edge of the pouch touch the bottom of the DLBP? That is, if you have a filled A5 pouch clipped there, does it rest nicely on the bottom of the DLBP or does it pull the O-ring down a bit?

Thanks everyone for the helpful pictures so far!
    I just tried it: The A5 rest nicely at the bottom without pulling the O-ring down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast