Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you feel about a bag having empty space in it? Are you someone who will find other things to fill up the space because it's there, or are you content with carrying just the things you already knew you needed?

I took equivalents of most of what you listed in your first post and put it all in my Parental Unit, and there was a lot of room left over. Then I put it all in my Maker's Bag, and it was more or less full but not cramped--one could fit more stuff in there. So if you will fill the space you have, a Maker's Bag sounds like a good idea; if you are able to leave empty space, the Parental Unit might be a good choice.

The stuff (Freudian Slip not shown):
    You have a couple more pouches (and keys) in your list than I put in, but not enough to make a significant difference.
    Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-img_1945-jpg

Parental Unit:
    Main section: Cache for 13" MacBook Pro, an iPad Air 2 in a bulky case, Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip (FS pockets holding the stuff I use for class)
    Curved, divided pocket: two mini pouches, a mini Q-kit, a small square pouch, a package of tissues, a small bottle of lotion, a pen clipped onto one of the dividers
    Front flat pocket: Kindle Paperwhite (which fits that pocket like it was made for it, though it probably wouldn't fit there if it were in a case)

It's hard to see because everything in the main section is dark, but there is a good bit of extra space there. One could add a sweater easily, for instance. The Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip is almost too tall to allow the Parental Unit to zip shut, but not quite. I think it would be too tall for the space if that compartment were stuffed full--the sides would bow out, making the top lower.

Shown: Main compartment, curved pocket, front flat pocket with Kindle sticking out (I pulled it out to show it's there; it fits all the way in and the pocket can zip shut), top view showing that the bag is still fairly slim with this load:
    Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-befunky-collage-loaded-pu-1-jpg

Maker's Bag:
    Main section: Cache for 13" MacBook Pro, an iPad Air 2 in a bulky case, Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip (FS pockets holding the stuff I use for class), a package of tissues
    Pockets on the wall of the main section: two mini pouches, a mini Q-kit, a small square pouch, a small bottle of lotion, Kindle Paperwhite (which fit beautifully in the larger middle pocket on the wall of the main section, behind the small square pouch that I also dropped in there)

Shown with and without MCB FS:
    Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-befunky-collage-loaded-mb-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I don't want to leave out the Pilot!

Back slip pocket: I put the iPad and Kindle here, since you said that's how you carry them in your MCB
    Main section: Cache for 13" MacBook Pro, Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip (FS pockets holding the stuff I use for class); you could also put the Kindle in one of the wall pockets here, as I show in another picture
    Left front pocket: a mini Q-kit, a small square pouch tucked into the inner pocket, a package of tissues, a small bottle of lotion
    Water bottle/umbrella pocket: Empty!
    Right front pocket: two mini pouches

P.S. There is plenty more room in both front pockets, but things will get tangled together and lost if many more small things are put in loose. I often carry two mini pouches and my non-TB wallet there on key straps, and the straps get tangled a lot.

Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-befunky-collage-loaded-pilot-1-jpg
    Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-befunky-collage-loaded-pilot-2-jpg
    Last edited by aedifica; 03-13-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and just for the sake of being really, really complete, the Travel Cubelet also fits in the curved pocket of the Parental Unit:

Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag-img_1960-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for all your input. Now that I am home, I have taken a photo of all the things in my MCB.

I am thinking that the Freudian slip is taking up more space than I gain in organization.

I think I would rather have extra space in a bag, but I do tend to fill the space I have. I also tend to overpack, planning for every worse case scenario. The nice thing about the Freudian slip is that it gives a rigidity to the bag (as I have tried to go without and found the bag too floppy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of pics of my MB with the FS. The first one has nothing else in the bag and the second has my usual bag companions. Even with the FS, there is PLENTY of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse86 View Post
    Thank you so much for all your input. Now that I am home, I have taken a photo of all the things in my MCB.

I am thinking that the Freudian slip is taking up more space than I gain in organization.

I think I would rather have extra space in a bag, but I do tend to fill the space I have. I also tend to overpack, planning for every worse case scenario. The nice thing about the Freudian slip is that it gives a rigidity to the bag (as I have tried to go without and found the bag too floppy.
    What does your stuff look like when you have your FS loaded (as in, what stuff goes in your FS and what stuff doesnít)? Iíll see if I can recreate it and take a picture for you.

A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    What does your stuff look like when you have your FS loaded (as in, what stuff goes in your FS and what stuff doesnít)? Iíll see if I can recreate it and take a picture for you.
    The stuff:

And it packed:

I donít think Iím using the FS to its best capabilities

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Iíll post a picture tomorrow with what I think your load would look like. I even have the MacBook to throw in. Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing you might consider is getting a Large Cafe Bag off eBay.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made a decision. I have ordered the Pilot in Aubergine/Wasabi.

I think the more rigid organization and structure will suit my needs.

Thank you all for all of your advice and photos. It helped me a lot.

I will give you an update once it arrives. Pilot vs Co Pilot or stay with Medium Cafe Bag

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that Pilot in those colors—my fave bag. Love how the 3D organizer cubes fit in the front pockets. I keep a Chico-like shop bag folded in the bottom of the water bottle section, as my water bottle isn’t large. Hope you like your bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the Parental Unit?
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have been using the Pilot for a couple weeks right now. I am finding that it gets very wavy fast, my full water bottle and laptop make it too heavy. I was hoping to use it for work and for travel but I donít think it will work for travel sadly.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse86 View Post
    I am finding that it gets very wavy fast, my full water bottle and laptop make it too heavy.
    I wouldn't typically use an Absolute Strap on my Pilot (I don't use any strap with it), but I do use the Op-Tech Mini SOS strap (kind of like a smaller version of the Absolute Strap) on my Maker's bag. Perhaps that type of strap may help-they really create a sense of buoyancy. Can you transport your bottle empty and fill it once you get to work?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    I wouldn't typically use an Absolute Strap on my Pilot (I don't use any strap with it), but I do use the Op-Tech Mini SOS strap (kind of like a smaller version of the Absolute Strap) on my Maker's bag. Perhaps that type of strap may help-they really create a sense of buoyancy. Can you transport your bottle empty and fill it once you get to work?
    I do use an Absolute Strap on my Pilot, and the Op-Tech Mini SOS strap is good too (I usually use it on my Co-Pilot). As @threeteez noted, they're the same kind of strap. The Absolute Strap has a curve to it that I like; once I figured out which direction the strap should hang on my body, it made the strap just that tiny bit nicer. (As to which side that should be: if you lay the Absolute Strap down so that the curve makes a smile, the top of the smile is the side that should be toward the bag side of your body--no matter whether you're wearing the bag crossbody or letting it hang straight from your shoulder.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2