Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB-inspired self-sewn projects

Someone asked me if I would post some of the things I've made inspired by TB designs. I've made a few things that have really worked. Having said that, the TB stuff I have has way better sewing quality :-) Mine are a bit rough-and-ready. But very useful!

1 -- sewed o-rings (really I think a kind of curtain ring? I had them for some reason) into the kids backpacks

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2949-jpg

2 -- made key straps out of webbing with ribbon applied (or in the case of the picture below, webbing with a reflective tape). I made several of these and they are all in use generally.

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2948-jpg

3 -- made stuff sacks in small, medium, and large (the small is currently missing -- I think at work. I use them all the time! -- small and medium more so than the large). I augment them with these cute double carabiners I got somewhere - you can almost see one (purple) clipped to the O-ring of the medium size bag below. Also my O-rings are larger which means I can pass the cord stopper through and hold them by the cord instead of the ring (shown in the third picture). To make these I used some lightweight ripstop nylon I had hanging around the house. The long bag seam is made using a french seam, and I've encased the seam where the sides join the bottom in bias tape (red satin :-) . The second picture shows the large back inside-out. I ordered the cord stoppers and key hooks online. My cord is elastic and I have no idea if the TB cord is?

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2944-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2945-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2947-jpg

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! thanks for sharing

reflective tape on the key straps is a smart idea!
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found another keystrap and a very small mini packing cube. LOL the cube has the mesh and the fabric reversed, I now see. The fabric is a coated nylon, which I have a lot more of. But, it does have a two-way zipper! The ribbon on the keystrap webbing is one I really like, this is "my" keystrap (the others are shared around the family).

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2951-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I found another keystrap and a very small mini packing cube. LOL the cube has the mesh and the fabric reversed, I now see. The fabric is a coated nylon, which I have a lot more of. But, it does have a two-way zipper! The ribbon on the keystrap webbing is one I really like, this is "my" keystrap (the others are shared around the family).
    That's a pretty ribbon! And as far as the mesh and fabric being reversed, TB used to make packing cubes that had mesh sides and fabric top and bottom just like yours here. So yours is like the classic model.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have had the idea from somewhere! I was going to make more stuff-sacks but I think I threw out my patterns :-(. I guess I will just have to draft up some new ones.

I generally make drawstring bags, you know the kind that close with a ribbon in each direction? I think they are very practical and it's actually a design I like better than the single pull cord with stopper -- I find the closing action is smoother and I like not having to use hardware. So what I might do is to make stuffsacks like that. It takes longer to sew because you have to do two French seams, but since I'm not a factory I don't have to worry about that so much. So therefore a good thing I can't find my original patterns. Any other modifications you would add, o great and learned Bihnions?

ETA a picture of a regular drawstring bag make for Christmas sweets -- because we like pictures!

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2370-jpg
    Last edited by ejvc; 03-20-2019 at 11:44 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [...]because we like pictures!
    [...]
    Yes we do
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another picture for you then! I just finished it this instant! It's my first ever pouch :-) -- mini-sized, fits about a card, give or take. I'll clip it on to things with a mini s-carabiner (I'm out of hooks!). The navy blue is cordura, the orange is a waterproof nylon, the brown bias tape is just cotton. The sewing... could be better.

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2952-1-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2953-1-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2952-jpg  TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2953-jpg 
    Last edited by ejvc; 03-21-2019 at 07:30 AM.

I work here at TOM BIHN
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the flower trim! Reminds me of my favorite Swiss shirt:
    https://maerithuesli.ch/en/
    Keep up the good work

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the fangirl icon?!? Thank you very much! (We are going to Switzerland this summer by train from Sweden, maybe I'll get to see these shirts in person...)

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my very NON-TB tool roll with top flap! The denim is from an old pair of self-sewn jeans that wore out. I used my embroidery machine to make a very girly motif since I knew I wanted to use up my hot pink bias tape :-).

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2963-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2964-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2965-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2966-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made smaller versions of the travel tray out of cotton for my kids. I'll try and snap a photo later.
    By being cotton they squish more, and investing in the real TB TT was a lot to spend when I didn't know if they'd ever use them. They use them, occasionally...

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, would love to see, thanks!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing my blue and purple theme, I present an A30 packing cube completely refashioned from an old IKEA shoe bag packing cube (that I found useless) plus some purple mesh. I was out of bright pink tape so turquoise check ribbon seemed like the best alternative (?). It's 12" x 12" x 3" (so 1" flatter than the TB version) and doesn't open up all the way because the zipper wasn't long enough. But actually, this little test load worked fine! It weighs 39g. I mostly use packing cubes to be a kind of little suitcase when I split the A30 with my daughter on trips so I might also add a handle. But I am very proud of myself :P The purple mesh was just stuff I had but it will go nicely with the ultraviolet interior of my A30!

The photos are: original bag, a couple of views of it packed, a view of it open (to show the short zipper) and an inside out view which shows the checked binding tape.

I have one more shoe bag (pink) which I plan to change in the same way so let me know if you have any ideas for modifications!

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2959-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2981-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2982-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2983-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2984-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing my blue and purple theme, I present an A30 packing cube completely refashioned from an old IKEA shoe bag packing cube (that I found useless) plus some purple mesh. I was out of bright pink tape so turquoise check ribbon seemed like the best alternative (?). It's 12" x 12" x 3" (so 1" flatter than the TB version) and doesn't open up all the way because the zipper wasn't long enough. But actually, this little test load worked fine! It weighs 39g. I mostly use packing cubes to be a kind of little suitcase when I split the A30 with my daughter on trips so I might also add a handle. But I am very proud of myself :P The purple mesh was just stuff I had but it will go nicely with the ultraviolet interior of my A30!

The photos are: original bag, a couple of views of it packed, a view of it open (to show the short zipper) and an inside out view which shows the checked binding tape.

I have one more shoe bag (pink) which I plan to change in the same way so let me know if you have any ideas for modifications!

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2959-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2981-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2982-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2983-jpg

TB-inspired self-sewn projects-img_2984-jpg
    This is brilliant!! Is the mesh difficult to sew?

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

The mesh is easy to sew, it's stable, not stretchy, but very lightweight. I make no guarantees about how durable this is! I feel it might be best not to overload the cube. It's not flimsy but I think it's developed for linings not bags. I did have some black heavier mesh, but it's hiding somewhere with my ripstop nylon and my vinyl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast