Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knitting bag recommendations?

I do not knit, and I am seeking recommendations for a bag in the current line-up that knitters would recommend along with one or two accessories as a gift. My aunt, who does knit, fell and broke her hip this past week. I would like to send her a bag to cheer her up and also help her to contain or organize various projects as she recuperates. I believe she is most recently knitting hats, though I do have hats and scarves she has knitted for me.

I know there are some active and accomplished knitters in this forum, so I appreciate any suggestions for one bag over another. While the default seems like it would be the Swift, it seems like many have repurposed other TB bags for knitting related pursuits as well, so I am open minded.

Thank you!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I do not knit, and I am seeking recommendations for a bag in the current line-up that knitters would recommend along with one or two accessories as a gift. My aunt, who does knit, fell and broke her hip this past week. I would like to send her a bag to cheer her up and also help her to contain or organize various projects as she recuperates. I believe she is most recently knitting hats, though I do have hats and scarves she has knitted for me.

I know there are some active and accomplished knitters in this forum, so I appreciate any suggestions for one bag over another. While the default seems like it would be the Swift, it seems like many have repurposed other TB bags for knitting related pursuits as well, so I am open minded.

Thank you!
    I alternate between my Swift, Pop Tote and Shop bags. The Swift was specifically designed for knitters and has pouches to accommodate various notions. The Pop Tote is also an excellent bag for knitting since it can be closed three different ways. You can’t go wrong with either of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a lovely idea!

For the accessory/accessories, I suggest the Medium Clear Bottom Yarn Stuff Sack. It's a nice size for a hat knitting project and for me the clear bottom is nice for reminding myself which project is in each stuff sack.

For the bag itself... do you know if she likes shoulder bags or totes more? If she likes totes, then a Swift or a Pop Tote or a Shop Bag would be nice. Maybe even a Truck, its three sections could make it a useful knitting bag if she likes to have multiple projects going at once (as long as she doesn't have pets). If she prefers shoulder bags, then a Maker's Bag would be good.

I wish your aunt good healing!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a beautiful gift idea! I love my Swift for crochet projects while traveling, with a collection of small & medium YSS (I prefer the all-fabric ones). When I’m at home I use a Truck: The center section is perfect for a large project in progress or a place to keep the extra skeins of yarn handy. The end sections are perfect for holding a number of YSS, if working with multiple colors. It also provides ample room for tools & patterns. I wish her a speedy recovery!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Swift! Four women in my knitting group have abandoned their other knitting bags for the Swift. We all like how it sits upright (ballistic, halcyon doesn't), how it hangs off our shoulders but doesn't drag on the ground in hand. And, it simply carries knitting well.

Ok, enough geeking over the Swift. Accessories!
    - The clear bottom YSS is my favorite project bag. I clip a looped key strap on them as handles.
    - 16" key straps are so useful! They'll keep track of your notions pouch and scissors.
    - I love my Q Kits for notions. They open wide but don't let things spill.
    - My friend swears by the knitting OPs for their clear sides.

New toys will make a fun gift and distraction while your aunt heals!

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I love my Swift as my knitting bag, would a backpack be easier for her to carry? Maybe the Daylight backpack?

Whatever the main bag, I love yarn stuff sacks (both small and medium) for projects. I use a mini clear organizer pouch for “take-along” notions (easy to see everything inside and it fits well inside the YSSs, even the small), and a small double organizer pouch for “home base” notions (in one of the Swift’s side pockets). And the pocket pouch, clipped to one of the upper o-rings, is perfect for keeping a pair of scissors handy.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not knit, but as the Swift (as pop tote, etc.) sounds lovely choice, in safety/comfort in mind, as it has been suggested Maker's Bag could also do a pretty good job
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the great bag and accessory bag suggestions. I really appreciate your input! I may go with the Swift in ballistic with at least one extra clear bottom stuff sack, and perhaps an organizer pouch to start with. I adore my Truck, and perhaps that would be a consideration down the road for a base station at her home, but I believe she has a small dog and cat, so that might present a big temptation to get into accessible yarn mischief, depending on her setup.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Swift is the best with Clear Yarn Stuff Sacks and the Knitting Tools Pouches.

But, a Pop Tote might be a much better solution if her cat and dog are of the curious kind.

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a thoughtful way to add some cheer. There are some good ideas here. Another consideration is that the recovery process typically includes some time with a walker and/or crutches. One other suggestion is to consider the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. The outside zip pocket provides a secure easily accessed space for a pattern and a small or medium organizer pouch for notions. Yarn and the project for small projects such as hat/scarf/socks will fit in the main part of the bag in a yarn stuff sack and/or on their own. The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is light weight and can be carried by hand, worn cross body or as a waist pack, Or even transported by wrapping the shoulder strap around the bar of the walker.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

eastern Washington
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a thoughtful gift. I own several Swifts, a PopTote and a Makers Bag. And more SBs than I can count. I love the Swifts for many reasons. They hold more than one small project, they have the clear pockets, they have four O-rings, and they look professional. One of the design features especially for knitters is the button closure on the top. There is no zipper to catch yarn. I also like my Pop Tote and use it to hold a knitting project, my Travel cubelet snacks and a water bottle. I use travel trays for my knitting projects and they fit flat in the Swift but not in the Pop Tote, so I need to take them out of the PT when I work on them. Also, the PT zips shut and the zipper may catch yarn. I seldom use the MB because I find the flap to be a nuisance. Shop bags also work well. I haven’t used the zip top ones for knitting yet, but the old ones worked well.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    One other suggestion is to consider the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. The outside zip pocket provides a secure easily accessed space for a pattern and a small or medium organizer pouch for notions. Yarn and the project for small projects such as hat/scarf/socks will fit in the main part of the bag in a yarn stuff sack and/or on their own. The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is light weight and can be carried by hand, worn cross body or as a waist pack, Or even transported by wrapping the shoulder strap around the bar of the walker.
    I think @NWhikergal has already made a decision, but for anyone else having similar ideas:

I hadn't thought about the PCSB for this until @Grandcache's post, but it also fits nicely inside a Swift for times when a walker or crutches aren't needed. I could have sworn that @moriond had posted pictures of the combination somewhere, but I can't find them here or on Ravelry so here are some I just took. The Swift's oval-shaped bottom means that the PCSB can only lie flat if the corners can crumple in a bit; but it fits very nicely when standing up, with plenty of room for other stuff beside it.

Knitting bag recommendations?-befunky-collage-pcsb-swift-jpg
    Shown: Navy/Solar Swift with Viridian PCSB (but the Viridian color didn't photograph well, it doesn't look this color in real life)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update: I spoke to my aunt about whether she would prefer a bag to take with her or one to keep at home that has dividers, and she said the latter might be more useful. So I will be going with a Truck (for now) but I will add some medium clear and small stuff sacks. My hope is that by including stuff sacks, perhaps she could always take one with her if she wanted something "on the go," no matter what bag she is carrying.

All of your suggestions (and reasoning) have been so helpful! Perhaps once I introduce her to Tom Bihn she will decide to add on more.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Quick update: I spoke to my aunt about whether she would prefer a bag to take with her or one to keep at home that has dividers, and she said the latter might be more useful. So I will be going with a Truck (for now) but I will add some medium clear and small stuff sacks. My hope is that by including stuff sacks, perhaps she could always take one with her if she wanted something "on the go," no matter what bag she is carrying.
    Good choice! I have a Truck that I use for shopping, and I have been flirting with the idea of having a house-bound one for knitting. I also recommend the Travel Trays. Although I have yarn sacks, I now prefer the travel trays for holding small projects and yarn. They easily convert between yarn bowls and carry sacks.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My aunt finally received her Truck and knitting accessories today, and she loves them. Sorry no photos to post - it would have been too complicated to ask. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, as it sounds like it is going to work perfectly to help her while knitting at home. Thank you, everyone, for your great suggestions and generous insights that helped to steer me to a good solution!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast