Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amator View Post
    It's on my to-do list, but having only recently "leveling-up" to a better job that requires me to travel, I'm splitting up all the gear purchases. I finished my onebag spirit quest after buying five bags, I've bought the stuff I need to work well from airports/cafes (Roost laptop stand, Fintie keyboard case, USB-C to lightning cable, Duet app, Peak Design Tech Pouch), bought a fancy fountain pen and several notebooks, and now I'm working on a packable EDC bag. Next up will be better ANC headphones, and then after that I'll buy a Global Entry. I've gotta budget out all the gear since we're a single-income family with three kids!
    Oh wow, three kids and travel gear -- that does sound expensive. Hopefully you get some points from the travel and can put that toward some award tickets for a family vacation.

Happy travels!

Forum Member
    Greenville, SC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thankfully I get to keep my points. Thank you!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Author of other post here discussing the Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45. There are two problems with one-bag travel:

• Shoes, man... Shoes. You can only bring like the pair on your feet and maybe some flip-flips or something.
    • You pretty much have to compromise on a day bag.

I routinely fit two pair of shoes into a single end pocket of my A30. I don't know what kind of shoes you are taking? I pack a pair of sandals or leather sneakers and a pair of Nike Barefoot runners.

As to day bags, I usually pack a classic Swedish backpack, the KŚnken from Fjšllršven. It's basically a fabric box, with a little foam removable foam padding that fits into the backpack area. Fits 16L, very lightweight, very packable. If more formal is required, a rollable tote like the Longchamp or DAY Birger et Mikkelsen are what I use. I guess the TB equivalent to these are the pop tote, if the pop tote was in Halcyon. My husband has an A45, he brings just his laptop case if he's working, or a horrid old wadded up packable backpack (that I got for free) when we're holidaying (which has already ripped under the weight of our groceries). I can't even. So whatever you do, rest assured it will be better than that.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how far several city blocks is (I'm British) but the DLBP is totally fine for groceries for a half hour walk in my experience.

About the DLBP maybe looking small on you - just my 2c here, but who cares as long as you're comfortable?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I routinely fit two pair of shoes into a single end pocket of my A30. I don't know what kind of shoes you are taking? I pack a pair of sandals or leather sneakers and a pair of Nike Barefoot runners.
    I can bring maybe some men's size 11 boat shoes or Vans or Tom's of something. I can actually even fit trail shoes in there. It just adds an awful lot of weight and takes up the entire side pocket to do so. I also don't like pack socks into shoes or anything. My theory is pack light and put less effort into it.

But my ideal for travel is to have the One Pair(tm) of shoes. Ones that work for dinner out or just running some errands. Sometimes it's practical, sometimes not.
    Last edited by bouncing; 03-22-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But my ideal for travel is to have the One Pair(tm) of shoes. Ones that work for dinner out or just running some errands. Sometimes it's practical, sometimes not.
    I've got a pair of Crocs dress shoes that fit that description for me. I don't know what style they are and the Crocs website doesn't have anything like them listed currently, but they're comfortable, dressy enough for any work situation that's not full blown suit (only because they're brown and don't go with my suit), but pair great with any tan/brown/khaki type pants I'd have when travelling for work. And at the same time, casual enough for a trip to the beach.

Forum Member
    Greenville, SC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    My husband has an A45, he brings just his laptop case if he's working, or a horrid old wadded up packable backpack (that I got for free) when we're holidaying (which has already ripped under the weight of our groceries). I can't even. So whatever you do, rest assured it will be better than that.
    Ha! That sounds like my oldest son, who has ripped through most of the cheap Targus laptop backpacks I was given by my last company. I don't know how large u/Bouncing's feet are, but I know I have trouble fitting my size 12 Rockports in my 45L bag along with a large packing cube, toiletries, etc.

Forum Member
    Greenville, SC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I don't know how far several city blocks is (I'm British) but the DLBP is totally fine for groceries for a half hour walk in my experience.

About the DLBP maybe looking small on you - just my 2c here, but who cares as long as you're comfortable?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Good points, assuming I'm comfortable with the DLBP. I wish TB had a store on the East Coast where I could try out several bags. I almost never make it to Seattle.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LPT: Get Global Entry. It comes with PreCheck.
    Pre-check is amazing, IF (big if) the airport recognizes it. I've flown out of small airports that don't recognize pre-check so you need to remove all your stuff like everyone else.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Pre-check is amazing, IF (big if) the airport recognizes it. I've flown out of small airports that don't recognize pre-check so you need to remove all your stuff like everyone else.
    All true. PreCheck also does nothing for you outside the US.

But it's still worth it. Even some small airports have it (like Grand Rapids) and usually smaller airports are more manageable anyway. And Global Entry is truly the best thing ever when returning to the US; you skip the customs line pretty much entirely, scan your passport and go. It feels really good to bypass the queue when it's long.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amator View Post
    ...and then after that I'll buy a Global Entry. I've gotta budget out all the gear since we're a single-income family with three kids!
    If you pay for global entry you may be getting hosed (assuming youíre good with credit)

Get a Chase Sapphire card, get a bunch of points for free future trips with fam. Chase will reimburse you for Global Entry.

As for the DLBP, itís actually larger than it seems so I donít think youíll experience that Dora mini backpack feeling but I do understand. That same logic is the reason I never tried the original
    luminary.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    If you pay for global entry you may be getting hosed (assuming youíre good with credit)

Get a Chase Sapphire card, get a bunch of points for free future trips with fam. Chase will reimburse you for Global Entry.

As for the DLBP, itís actually larger than it seems so I donít think youíll experience that Dora mini backpack feeling but I do understand. That same logic is the reason I never tried the original
    luminary.
    Amex Platinum will also comp Global Entry. Assuming the other benefits are with the huge annual fee.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that topic, Nexus includes Global Entry benefits and costs less (assuming that getting to an interview station doesn't cost more than one saves--the interview stations are mostly at the US/Canada border).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    On that topic, Nexus includes Global Entry benefits and costs less (assuming that getting to an interview station doesn't cost more than one saves--the interview stations are mostly at the US/Canada border).
    To clarify, Nexus actually Ďsort ofí includes global entry. It does provide benefits between our two countries, and it that is the majority of your travel, itís actually the better choice because it gives you expedited processing on both sides of the border, where as Global Entry only provides benefits when you return to the US, and pretty much only by flying. The difference is Global Entry doesnít care where youíre coming from, but Nexus does. I can use my Nexus if I fly into (and whenever I drive into) the US if Iím coming straight from Canada, and vice versa, when Iím returning to Canada.

But if I were to say, fly to the UK, and then from there fly to the US, Nexus doesnít help. Global Entry would. But only for getting into the US, and wouldnít help at all for getting back into Canada. Also, living in a border community, I drive to the US way more than fly. Nexus helps at the land border crossing, Global Entry is useless at a land crossing.

Both are great programs, but which one to get really comes down to the kind of travel you plan on doing.

If youíre getting it solely to get Pre-Check, and you donít have any plans of ever leaving the US, and you donít have one of those cards that comps GE, then Nexus I believe works out to the better deal, being only $50 for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    To clarify, Nexus actually Ďsort ofí includes global entry. It does provide benefits between our two countries, and it that is the majority of your travel, itís actually the better choice because it gives you expedited processing on both sides of the border, where as Global Entry only provides benefits when you return to the US, and pretty much only by flying. The difference is Global Entry doesnít care where youíre coming from, but Nexus does. I can use my Nexus if I fly into (and whenever I drive into) the US if Iím coming straight from Canada, and vice versa, when Iím returning to Canada.

But if I were to say, fly to the UK, and then from there fly to the US, Nexus doesnít help. Global Entry would. But only for getting into the US, and wouldnít help at all for getting back into Canada. Also, living in a border community, I drive to the US way more than fly. Nexus helps at the land border crossing, Global Entry is useless at a land crossing.

Both are great programs, but which one to get really comes down to the kind of travel you plan on doing.

If youíre getting it solely to get Pre-Check, and you donít have any plans of ever leaving the US, and you donít have one of those cards that comps GE, then Nexus I believe works out to the better deal, being only $50 for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you sure about that? https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...bal-entry/card reads:

Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification chips, which enable their use at Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) and NEXUS travel lanes when entering the United States at the land borders. You must follow all program rules for SENTRI when using this card at the Southern land border ports of entry.

You may use this card for expedited entry into the United States via the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes. The card is not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes.

So it does let you get expedited entry into the US at land crossings, just not into Canada or Mexico.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast