Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carry on

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Iíd second this as another reason for the A30. As it hangs when carrying with the strap or handle, itís very Ďthiní in comparison to the duffle and easy to get through crowds.

Itís thinness also makes it great for overhead bins. Both vertically, squeezed between roller suitcases, or flat to fit those really shallow regional plane overhead bins.

And lastly, as there is padding on the back where the backpack straps are, it never digs into you when it rests against your side/hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that so much depends on how these two bags are packed. I have tried to show a sort of comparison of how thin they can be in the photo below.
    The RB has a bit more carrying capacity, 6L, and so it is tempting to squish a bit more into it perhaps. It is not packed to the maximum in the photo but has a similar load to that in the A30.
    Because the RB is less rigid than the A30 it can be squeezed into otherwise difficult spaces.
    However, the two options to attach the shoulder strap to the RB make it easy to carry so that the RB "hangs" like the A30, although the hand carry handles are in the wider "duffel" mode.
    I find the RB zipped end pockets easier to access than the A30 but I agree that the backpack shoulder straps on the A30 can be useful.
    The A30 is heavier because of these straps and the additional padding and if I am honest the RB feels very much more flexible and light overall. I suppose it really is a personal choice on these two based on the type of travel etc.
    The other consideration is that the price difference is quite considerable so that may be an important point.

Carry on-a30-rb-side-jpg
    Carry on-a30-rb-above-jpg

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me as yet another vote for the A30. I'm traveling with mine right now, and every day I love it a little more. Carry on

I just did a semi-crazy 24 hours in Tallinn, from Rīga via bus. The A30 easily slid into the small overhead shelf on the bus, and it was comfortable and light enough that I could just carry it around Old Town after checking out of our AirBnB, before the bus at 2pm.

I haven't had the RB, but having switched from the A45 to the A30 for most leisure travel, I really appreciate how nimble the bag is, and how it fits in and through tight spaces.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise you could carry the Road buddy with the straps on the side like that! It looks a very useful bag and good value for money. I bet you wouldn't be sorry with that bag either. Looks like a great bag for a non-fussy packer as well, or if you need to travel with stuff lashed on. Not as professional looking as the A30, which may or may not be an advantage. I use the backpack on my A30 all the time so wouldn't switch.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I didn't realise you could carry the Road buddy with the straps on the side like that! It looks a very useful bag and good value for money. I bet you wouldn't be sorry with that bag either. Looks like a great bag for a non-fussy packer as well, or if you need to travel with stuff lashed on. Not as professional looking as the A30, which may or may not be an advantage. I use the backpack on my A30 all the time so wouldn't switch.
    Yes, it certainly is a useful feature.
    I also like that inside the RB main compartment not only does the lid have a pocket underneath it but also there are four open topped organiser pockets, two at each end of the bag. Lots of those VERY useful O-rings as well!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Threads View Post
    So I have been looking at the forums and some other areas as well. I am really torn between the A30 and the RB36 for my carry on for my clothes. I have always used a wheeled suitcase. My main concern is that the RB36 is just over the actual carry on sizes for most all airlines. I know that most do not check them that often but I do not want to get popped for oversize.

I am also wondering if the RB36 will constrain my clothes and not fit them as well.

I will admit that price is the main factor here. However if the A30 is the clear winner and all I will just have to suck it up LOL

Thanks crew!
    I think it depends on whether you really need the backpack straps or not. I don't, because I prefer to have a backpack as a personal item for travel so I knew that I wouldn't carry my big travel bag backpack style. The RB36 is awesome, I really love mine. It works as a carry on just fine, I haven't met an airline so far where it would have been too big. And even then - it's squishable, so it's very flexibel when you don't pack it full. It feels very sturdy but it's lightweight at the same time. I really like all the pockets too, they're very usable. I guess if you tend to pack everything you carry to the brim it might be better to get the A30, but I've always had quite a bit of room left in my RB36 so far and I love that. I can just throw anything I buy on the way on top of my stuff for the way home and call it a day.

I've never seen an A30 IRL, so I can't compare. But the RB36 is a great bag and if you don't need the backpack straps then I would say you get a lot of bag for your money with the Road Buddy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I think it depends on whether you really need the backpack straps or not. I don't, because I prefer to have a backpack as a personal item for travel so I knew that I wouldn't carry my big travel bag backpack style. The RB36 is awesome, I really love mine. It works as a carry on just fine, I haven't met an airline so far where it would have been too big. And even then - it's squishable, so it's very flexibel when you don't pack it full. It feels very sturdy but it's lightweight at the same time. I really like all the pockets too, they're very usable. I guess if you tend to pack everything you carry to the brim it might be better to get the A30, but I've always had quite a bit of room left in my RB36 so far and I love that. I can just throw anything I buy on the way on top of my stuff for the way home and call it a day.

I've never seen an A30 IRL, so I can't compare. But the RB36 is a great bag and if you don't need the backpack straps then I would say you get a lot of bag for your money with the Road Buddy.

Awesome thanks! I will likely hardly ever use the backpack straps feature as I too carry a backpack daily and for a personal item.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also noticing from the photo that the Aeronaut has handles to grab it from an overhead bin. Upon reflection, I'm pretty sure I use that every single time I fly.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handles on each end and on the top -- yep, I have often discussed how awesome those are with my husband.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some excellent photo comparisons between the RB & A45 on a previous posting that I managed to find again! By Bartleby. Thank you
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...36-vs-a45.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    There are some excellent photo comparisons between the RB & A45 on a previous posting that I managed to find again! By Bartleby. Thank you
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...36-vs-a45.html
    I did read through that thread a few times. Thanks for the share!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered the RB36 to match my S19. I really do not have a "need" for the backpack carry as I will be carrying my S19 on my back through the airports.

Thanks for all the feedback and discussion! Pics when it gets here and on my travels!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2