Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carry on

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry on

So I have been looking at the forums and some other areas as well. I am really torn between the A30 and the RB36 for my carry on for my clothes. I have always used a wheeled suitcase. My main concern is that the RB36 is just over the actual carry on sizes for most all airlines. I know that most do not check them that often but I do not want to get popped for oversize.

I am also wondering if the RB36 will constrain my clothes and not fit them as well.

I will admit that price is the main factor here. However if the A30 is the clear winner and all I will just have to suck it up LOL

Thanks crew!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my A30. Have had it for five years and used it on many many journeys, international and domestic, and it has saved my bacon multiple times. It looks nearly brand new. I like the convenience of the backpack and shoulder strap, and the many pull handles. It is expensive, but considering I used to replace my suitcase all the time, this is one time I really feel it was worth it. So, if you can afford it and you would rather have it than the RB36, then I think it will be worth it. However I don't have an RB36 so I can't speak directly to your decision.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Threads View Post
    So I have been looking at the forums and some other areas as well. I am really torn between the A30 and the RB36 for my carry on for my clothes. I have always used a wheeled suitcase. My main concern is that the RB36 is just over the actual carry on sizes for most all airlines. I know that most do not check them that often but I do not want to get popped for oversize.

I am also wondering if the RB36 will constrain my clothes and not fit them as well.

I will admit that price is the main factor here. However if the A30 is the clear winner and all I will just have to suck it up LOL

Thanks crew!
    Hello!

The RB36 should be within carry-on size for most airlines. Unless... do you normally fly airlines with very restrictive carry on dimensions?

If you would like backpack straps, definitely get the A30. If you normally use a shoulder strap, then either one would be great.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I think the road duffle is a great size, you canít beat the A30 for being the right balance of compact and functional.

And I agree with the other posters that having backpack straps helps in those cases where you really want/need to go hands free. I was travelling last week and the amount of times I had my hands full and just wished I could put my main bag on my back surprised me.

On the cost, I hear you. A friend told me this quote though.

Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry every time.

Iím always re-buying things because I donít buy the right thing first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the RB36 doesn't meet your usual airlines' carry on sizes then I think you already know the answer to this question...

The A30 is awesome and the backpack straps are a game changer in my opinion Carry on

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an RB36, so I can't compare, but I do love my A30. Regarding carry-on sizes, I travel a lot on airlines which also have a specified weight as well as dimensions. I know that an A30 packed reasonably full (but not tightly packed) comes in at just under 7kg.

What I like about the A30 is that tipped over on to its side, it can fit into quite narrow spaces. Several times I've put it into an overhead that's looked full to people with standard wheelie cases.

I also like that when I get to a hotel, I can lay it down flat, zip open the top, and use it a bit like a drawer. I don't have to burrow down to find things as it's fairly shallow.

The backpack straps are so useful too.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Does anyone else get Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son" in their head every time they look at the title of this thread?)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    (Does anyone else get Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son" in their head every time they look at the title of this thread?)
    Well I do now! Carry on

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL well now I do

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    On the cost, I hear you. A friend told me this quote though.

Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry every time.
    +1 on this. I was raised with the cry once philosophy, and it has served me well in life.

I do not have the Road Buddy, but I do have a medium Road Duffel, which is the first generation iteration. And I also have the A30. I will say each have their own advantages. However, I would decide based on whether I would wear the duffel in backpack style or not. If so, then I would opt for the A30. But if wearing a backpack and either hand carrying or shoulder carrying the duffel, then the Road Buddy is a great choice. Honestly, I would buy both and then return the one that I didnít want. Being able to have a hands-on test pack makes all the difference.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the A30 (although I've never had the Road Buddy mainly because I don't particularly like carrying a duffel bag with all that weight on one side of my body). I used a wheeled suitcase for years until we started flying budget European airlines and had to find something smaller. I like having my bag backpack style because it's more convenient walking down airplane and train aisles, not to mention having my hands free when walking to a flat or hotel after getting off the plane (or train).

Pammy has a good idea of buying both to try them out (if you can afford it).

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a road buddy, but a few reasons I'd consider the A30 are that it is specifically sized for even those budget carriers in Europe; it's always carry-on compliant. It also doesn't require you to undo the handle to get into the main bag, which is surprisingly nice. Finally, although I almost never use my A30 in backpack mode, the way it carries as a duffel is great. It's taller than it is wider in duffel mode, so it carries close to your body and doesn't stick out or bounce around as much as a squarer duffel might.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I hear this: 😀

https://youtu.be/nP0VBB7BO64
    EDC: Black Halcyon DLBP | Nebulous Gray Luminary 15 ~ Work Carry: Black Ristretto ~ Fun Carry: Black Medium Yeoman Duffel

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Threads View Post
    I can't comment on either bag, as I have neither. But as far as fitting your clothes, I've found most people tend to pack to the bag. So, if you have the bigger bag, you'll just tend to bring more, but if you have the smaller bag, you'll just bring what fits and probably won't miss that extra you would have packed in the other bag. I see people on here all the time referring to 'underpacking' a bag to make it smaller, but I've also seen that it's very hard to do. You have that extra space so you just want to fill it up.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I don't have a road buddy, but a few reasons I'd consider the A30 are that it is specifically sized for even those budget carriers in Europe; it's always carry-on compliant. It also doesn't require you to undo the handle to get into the main bag, which is surprisingly nice. Finally, although I almost never use my A30 in backpack mode, the way it carries as a duffel is great. It's taller than it is wider in duffel mode, so it carries close to your body and doesn't stick out or bounce around as much as a squarer duffel might.
    Iíd second this as another reason for the A30. As it hangs when carrying with the strap or handle, itís very Ďthiní in comparison to the duffle and easy to get through crowds.

Itís thinness also makes it great for overhead bins. Both vertically, squeezed between roller suitcases, or flat to fit those really shallow regional plane overhead bins.

And lastly, as there is padding on the back where the backpack straps are, it never digs into you when it rests against your side/hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast